Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoking a leg of lamb?

I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me if
I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve or New
Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't go well,
it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g* But, lamb's
on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just curious if it's worth
looking at?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

This is snipped from another forum

I was looking for a recipe for a 5 1/2 pound boneless New Zealand Leg of Lamb that I had bought at Costco or Sam's Club, I don't remember which. I checked the forum, and came up with a tip or two, and I also checked Jamison's S&S for
recipes. I also checked a third source and it was one of Wolfgang Puck's cookbooks (yep, the Hollywood guy). In a nutshell, I combined the tips, and a couple of different recipes and came up with something that was the best lamb either
myself, my wife or some friends that we had over for dinner, had ever had. What I did is the following:

Marinade:
1 Cup Olive Oil
10 Cloves of Garlic Chopped(I use the preshelled kind from Sam's Club)
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Cup Apple Cider (Old Wolfgang recommends Pomegranate juice, but said to use cider as a backup if you don't have a bunch of pomegranate juice drinking liberals running around loose in your city and thus you can't find it at the
store!)
3 Tablespoons of Sea Salt
A few shakes of ground pepper

Mix the above ingredients together and rub it into the leg of lamb, including using a baster to get the marinade into the cavities, but don't cut the string holding the roast together. Place the lamb in a gallon size ziplock bag, or
equivalent, pour in the rest of the marinade and throw it in the fridge at least overnight.

The next day, pre-heat the smoker to about 200 degrees, and put in 2 hours of pecan and 1 hour apple pucks. Take the lamb out of the bag and put it, with the marinade particles still stuck to it, into the smoker and smoke the lamb
until the internal temp is 140 degrees (about 3 - 3 1/2 hours).

Note: I put a round metal cake pan (like the kind you'd use two of to make a birthday cake) under the lamb to catch drippings for gravy, and it worked like a charm. I put the lamb on the second rack space from the top, and put the pan
2 rack spaces down. The flow of the smoke did not seem to be affected in the least.

When the temp hit 140 degrees, I took the lamb out, took it off the rack, and dutifully wrapped it in foil, then a towel, and put it in a cooler. (I actually put the whole thing in the microwave, <b>not</b> while it's running of
course, it works just like a cooler).

I took the drippings from the pan in the smoker and put them in a sauce pan, added chopped onions and cooked until they were soft, added a bit of milk with corn starch in it to make a gravy.

When I served the lamb it honestly was the best any of us had ever had, and I've cooked lamb more than a few times! I served the gravy too, and it was also a hit as it had a perfect (not too strong) smokey flavor.

Good luck with this if you try it, and let me know if anyone has any suggestions for variations.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me if
> I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve or New
> Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't go well,
> it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g* But, lamb's
> on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just curious if it's worth
> looking at?

Not that many BBQ's ago, I switched from an Old Smokey electric (which I
liked, but not enough) to a Char Broil Silver Smoker offset smoker. So,
I'm still learning how to keep the fire under control and all that good
stuff. As a result, I tend to do things simply. I'll get more
adventurous as I become more experienced.

All this leads up to the leg of lamb. I washed it, patted it dry,
sprinkled it with koshering salt and freshly ground black pepper. I
fired up the smoker with lump and put some aspen wood on top of that.

I tried to keep the temperature in the 200 - 250 range, and mostly
succeeded. When the meat got to 170, I pulled it out and we had
dinner. It was, if memory serves, about 8 to 12 hours. I really should
take notes. My wife likes her pork and lamb on the more done side.

She commented that the leg of lamb was by far the best thing to come out
of the smoker, and she really liked the brisket, the chicken, the pulled
pork, the boudain, and the turkey.

Whether you get fancy or do it simply, I think you'll like the results.

Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote:
> I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me
> if I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve
> or New Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't
> go well, it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g*
> But, lamb's on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just curious
> if it's worth looking at?

Lamb, bbq "Edwin Pawlowski" [edited by Nick Cramer (sorry Ed - so shoot
me!)] From "The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen. see Smoke & Spice before
making!

Capetown Lamb (from South Africa)

This recipe is simplicity itself, and it makes a pleasant switch from the
usual Iamb with mint sauce. The preparation reflects the ecumenism of the
South African kitchen. Asia is represented by the use of ginger, soy sauce
and Chinese mustard. A British influence can be seen in the Worcestershire
sauce and brown sugar. Put them together and you get an energizing jolt of
flavor-sweet, sour, and spicy---that will give you a whole new perspective
on lamb. I like to serve this lamb with equally ecumenical accompaniments:
(Tandoori-Baked Flat Breads). Persian-Style Steamed Rice, and Pineapple
Achar.

FOR THE LAMB:

1 bone-in leg of lamb (6 to 8 pounds), trimmed of any papery skin
6 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
6 thin slices fresh ginger, cut Into thin slivers

FOR THE GLAZE:

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons hot Chinese-style mustard or 1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. If you want, butterfly and bone the lamb. Using the tip of a sharp
paring knife, make slits about an inch deep all over the surface of the
lamb, spacing them about an inch apart. Insert a sliver each of garlic and
ginger into each slit. Place the lamb in a sealable baggie and set aside
while you prepare the glaze.

2. Combine the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sugar, both the mustards,
lemon juice, oil, garlic, and ginger in a small, heavy saucepan and bring
to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook until
thick and syrupy, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as
necessary. Let cool to room temperature.

3. Pour half the cooled glaze over the lamb in the baggie, seal and roll
around to coat on all sides. Let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 3 to 8
hours (the longer the better), turning occassionally.

4. Set up the grill for smoking, placing a large drip pan in the center,
and preheat to medium.

8. If you butterflied the lamb, tie it into a roll, using butcher's twine.
When ready to cook, place the lamb on the hot grate over the drip pan and
brush with more glaze. Add fruit wood chunks or a pouch of chips to the
fire for smoke. Cover the grill and cook the lamb until done to taste, 2 to
2 1/2 hours; an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part
of the leg (but not touching the bone) will register 145 F, 160`F for
medium. Brush the leg with glaze two or three times during cooking. If
using a charcoal grill, add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side every hour.

6. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and brush one last time with
glaze, then let stand far 10 minutes before carving. While the lamb
stands, heat any remaining glaze to serve as a sauce with the lamb.

Serves 12

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.6.1166112124.9054.alt.food.barbecue@m ail.otherwhen.com...
> 43fan wrote:
>> I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me
>> if I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve
>> or New Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't
>> go well, it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g*
>> But, lamb's on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just curious
>> if it's worth looking at?
>>

> Not that many BBQ's ago, I switched from an Old Smokey electric (which I
> liked, but not enough) to a Char Broil Silver Smoker offset smoker. So,
> I'm still learning how to keep the fire under control and all that good
> stuff. As a result, I tend to do things simply. I'll get more
> adventurous as I become more experienced.
>
> All this leads up to the leg of lamb. I washed it, patted it dry,
> sprinkled it with koshering salt and freshly ground black pepper. I fired
> up the smoker with lump and put some aspen wood on top of that.
>
> I tried to keep the temperature in the 200 - 250 range, and mostly
> succeeded. When the meat got to 170, I pulled it out and we had dinner.
> It was, if memory serves, about 8 to 12 hours. I really should take
> notes. My wife likes her pork and lamb on the more done side.
>
> She commented that the leg of lamb was by far the best thing to come out
> of the smoker, and she really liked the brisket, the chicken, the pulled
> pork, the boudain, and the turkey.
>
> Whether you get fancy or do it simply, I think you'll like the results.
>
> Mike

It's almost sinful to roast leg of lamb to 170F! You'll end of with dry
tough meat. Lamb should be cooked like standing rib, rare, rare, and more
rare. Build an indirect fire. Char the outside quickly at a high temp.
Rotate the leg once in a fifteen minute period to get both sides. Then cook
indirectly to an internal temp. of 130F at a very low grill temp. We never
buy a boned, or bone a leg at home. That robs the meat of flavor and makes
it dry out.
Always, we use stabs of garlic and rosemary sprigs in about 25 different
places on the lamb. We never marinade. This would be to us like marinading
standing rib.
A lot, if not the majority of lamb in the US comes from from abroad,
primarily New Zealand. American lamb, if you can find it, is much better,
though the leg is slightly larger than the other.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> "43fan" > wrote:
>> I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me
>> if I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve
>> or New Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't
>> go well, it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g*
>> But, lamb's on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just curious
>> if it's worth looking at?

> Lamb, bbq "Edwin Pawlowski" [edited by Nick Cramer (sorry Ed - so shoot
> me!)] From "The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen. see Smoke & Spice
> before
> making!
>
> Capetown Lamb (from South Africa)
>
> This recipe is simplicity itself, and it makes a pleasant switch from the
> usual Iamb with mint sauce. The preparation reflects the ecumenism of the
> South African kitchen. Asia is represented by the use of ginger, soy
> sauce
> and Chinese mustard. A British influence can be seen in the
> Worcestershire
> sauce and brown sugar. Put them together and you get an energizing jolt
> of
> flavor-sweet, sour, and spicy---that will give you a whole new perspective
> on lamb. I like to serve this lamb with equally ecumenical
> accompaniments:
> (Tandoori-Baked Flat Breads). Persian-Style Steamed Rice, and Pineapple
> Achar.
>
> FOR THE LAMB:
>
> 1 bone-in leg of lamb (6 to 8 pounds), trimmed of any papery skin
> 6 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
> 6 thin slices fresh ginger, cut Into thin slivers
>
> FOR THE GLAZE:
>
> 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

On leg of lamb?? Anchovy taste on lamb????

1/4 cup soy sauce

Ugh!

> 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Please God, no.

> 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

This will help hide the taste of any lamb.

> 2 tablespoons hot Chinese-style mustard or 1 tablespoon dry mustard

As will this
..
> 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
> 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
> Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

With all the above, the lamb flavor will be gone.

> 1. If you want, butterfly and bone the lamb. Using the tip of a sharp
> paring knife, make slits about an inch deep all over the surface of the
> lamb, spacing them about an inch apart. Insert a sliver each of garlic
> and
> ginger into each slit. Place the lamb in a sealable baggie and set aside
> while you prepare the glaze.
>
> 2. Combine the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sugar, both the mustards,
> lemon juice, oil, garlic, and ginger in a small, heavy saucepan and bring
> to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook until
> thick and syrupy, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent
> sticking.
> Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as
> necessary. Let cool to room temperature.
>
> 3. Pour half the cooled glaze over the lamb in the baggie, seal and roll
> around to coat on all sides. Let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 3 to 8
> hours (the longer the better), turning occassionally.
>
> 4. Set up the grill for smoking, placing a large drip pan in the center,
> and preheat to medium.
>
> 8. If you butterflied the lamb, tie it into a roll, using butcher's
> twine.
> When ready to cook, place the lamb on the hot grate over the drip pan and
> brush with more glaze. Add fruit wood chunks or a pouch of chips to the
> fire for smoke. Cover the grill and cook the lamb until done to taste, 2
> 2 1/2 hours; an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in the thickest
> part
> of the leg (but not touching the bone) will register 145 F,

Much too high for rare lamb

>160`F for medium. Brush the leg with glaze two or three times during
>cooking. If
> using a charcoal grill, add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side every hour.
>
> Nick.

As I said in another post, if you bone it and tie it up you'll end up with
something much drier, and less well tasting of rare lamb. If you don't like
rare lamb, you're better off doing something like this with the lamb
shoulder or shank, and at a lot less cost.

Cheers,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I agree with you that lamb should taste of lamb, the most I usually do is slide some cloves of garlic up alongside the bone.

Although!!!

I did once cook an Indian Lamb dish that used garlic up the bone and then used ground fresh ginger and almonds mixed with yoghurt spread on the outside. Magnificent!!!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

>> It's almost sinful to roast leg of lamb to 170F!

I agree, but she wants it done. As I mentioned, she likes beef rare,
pork and lamb done. And nothing you or I say will change that.
>> A lot, if not the majority of lamb in the US comes from from abroad,
>> primarily New Zealand. American lamb, if you can find it, is much better,
>> though the leg is slightly larger than the other.

A friend's daughter raises lambs, we help her cull the herd and pay her
about $3.65 a pound dressed out.

What is better than American or New Zealand lamb is Icelandic lamb.
Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Welsh lamb, less than 6 months old and free range (mountain) is unbeleivable also.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"pipsqueek" > wrote in message
> [...]
> 2 rack spaces down. The flow of the smoke did not seem to be affected in
> the least.
>
> When the temp hit 140 degrees, I took the lamb out, took it off the rack,
> and dutifully wrapped it in foil, then a towel, and put it in a cooler. (I
> actually put the whole thing in the microwave, <b>not</b> while it's
> running of
> course, it works just like a cooler).
>
> I took the drippings from the pan in the smoker and put them in a sauce
> pan, added chopped onions and cooked until they were soft, added a bit of
> milk with corn starch in it to make a gravy.
>
> When I served the lamb it honestly was the best any of us had ever had,
> and I've cooked lamb more than a few times! I served the gravy too, and it
> was also a hit as it had a perfect (not too strong) smokey flavor.
>
> Good luck with this if you try it, and let me know if anyone has any

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.6.1166112124.9054.alt.food.barbecue@m ail.otherwhen.com...
> 43fan wrote:
>> I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me
>> if I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve
>> or New Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't
>> go well, it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g*
>> But, lamb's on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just curious
>> if it's worth looking at?
>>

> Not that many BBQ's ago, I switched from an Old Smokey electric (which I
> liked, but not enough) to a Char Broil Silver Smoker offset smoker. So,
> I'm still learning how to keep the fire under control and all that good
> stuff. As a result, I tend to do things simply. I'll get more
> adventurous as I become more experienced.
>
> All this leads up to the leg of lamb. I washed it, patted it dry,
> sprinkled it with koshering salt and freshly ground black pepper. I fired
> up the smoker with lump and put some aspen wood on top of that.
>
> I tried to keep the temperature in the 200 - 250 range, and mostly
> succeeded. When the meat got to 170, I pulled it out and we had dinner.
> It was, if memory serves, about 8 to 12 hours. I really should take
> notes. My wife likes her pork and lamb on the more done side.
>
> She commented that the leg of lamb was by far the best thing to come out
> of the smoker, and she really liked the brisket, the chicken, the pulled
> pork, the boudain, and the turkey.
>
> Whether you get fancy or do it simply, I think you'll like the results.
>
> Mike
>

> --
> ...The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
> system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...
>
> Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
> part time baker ICQ 16241692
> networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
> wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Mike Avery" > wrote in message
> news:mailman.6.1166112124.9054.alt.food.barbecue@m ail.otherwhen.com...
>> 43fan wrote:
>>> I've never cooked a leg of lamb period... but my brother in law asked me
>>> if I'd want to try a leg of lamb in the smoker either for Christmas Eve
>>> or New Year's Eve... There'll be LOTS of other food, so if this doesn't
>>> go well, it won't be a bust as far as not having anything to eat... *g*
>>> But, lamb's on sale pretty good at a local market right now, just
>>> curious if it's worth looking at?
>>>

>> Not that many BBQ's ago, I switched from an Old Smokey electric (which I
>> liked, but not enough) to a Char Broil Silver Smoker offset smoker. So,
>> I'm still learning how to keep the fire under control and all that good
>> stuff. As a result, I tend to do things simply. I'll get more
>> adventurous as I become more experienced.
>>
>> All this leads up to the leg of lamb. I washed it, patted it dry,
>> sprinkled it with koshering salt and freshly ground black pepper. I
>> fired up the smoker with lump and put some aspen wood on top of that.
>>
>> I tried to keep the temperature in the 200 - 250 range, and mostly
>> succeeded. When the meat got to 170, I pulled it out and we had dinner.
>> It was, if memory serves, about 8 to 12 hours. I really should take
>> notes. My wife likes her pork and lamb on the more done side.
>>
>> She commented that the leg of lamb was by far the best thing to come out
>> of the smoker, and she really liked the brisket, the chicken, the pulled
>> pork, the boudain, and the turkey.
>>
>> Whether you get fancy or do it simply, I think you'll like the results.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> It's almost sinful to roast leg of lamb to 170F! You'll end of with dry
> tough meat. Lamb should be cooked like standing rib, rare, rare, and more
> rare. Build an indirect fire. Char the outside quickly at a high temp.
> Rotate the leg once in a fifteen minute period to get both sides. Then
> cook indirectly to an internal temp. of 130F at a very low grill temp. We
> never buy a boned, or bone a leg at home. That robs the meat of flavor and
> makes it dry out.
> Always, we use stabs of garlic and rosemary sprigs in about 25 different
> places on the lamb. We never marinade. This would be to us like marinading
> standing rib.
> A lot, if not the majority of lamb in the US comes from from abroad,
> primarily New Zealand. American lamb, if you can find it, is much better,
> though the leg is slightly larger than the other.
>
> Kent

Smoking a lamb shank??? Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 16 14-04-2009 06:35 PM
Smoking lamb Nick Cramer Barbecue 11 13-06-2007 11:29 PM
Smoking Lamb? 43fan Barbecue 4 02-09-2006 03:00 AM
Smoking lamb? nechvatal Barbecue 7 17-07-2006 05:42 PM