Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoking lamb?

We love to grill lamb and would like to try smoking some. I don't see any
posts about lamb. Any suggestions about cut, rub, etc? Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

nechvatal wrote:
> We love to grill lamb and would like to try smoking some. I don't see any
> posts about lamb. Any suggestions about cut, rub, etc? Thanks.

Leg of Lamb with the bone in. Rub it with lots of herbs, garlic, salt,
and olive oil.

Smoke at 250F until it's done the way you like it. Usually takes a
couple of hours. I like to serve it with basmati rice boiled with a
couple of bay leaves and some salt. Indian Spinach and Potatoes is also
nice.

My New Zealand mother-in-law loves it.

M.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"nechvatal" > wrote:
> We love to grill lamb and would like to try smoking some. I don't see any
> posts about lamb. Any suggestions about cut, rub, etc? Thanks.

I luv lamb,too. This is the only recipe I've got. Sorry.

Roast Lamb with Rosemary (Agnello Al Forno Con Rosamarino)
Servings: 4

INGREDIENTS:

2 racks of lamb (3-4 ribs each, depending on size of racks)
60 g/2 oz pancetta or streaky bacon
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 cloves garlic
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 baby onion, skinned
12 baby potatoes
fresh rosemary sprigs, to garnish

1 Preheat the smoker to 190 C/375 F Trim excess fat from the lamb racks if
necessary. Make incisions in the outer surface of each rack. Cut the
pancetta into short strips, pull the leaves from 1 sprig of rosemary, and
cut two cloves of garlic into slivers. Insert a piece of pancetta, a few
leaves of rosemary and a sliver of garlic into each incision. Season the
lamb with salt and pepper, and brush all over with a little olive oil.

2 Place the remaining rosemary sprigs and garlic clove in the base of a
roasting pan and pour in the remaining oil. Place the lamb racks over the
rosemary, meat-side up. Surround with onion and potatoes. Smoke for 40-50
minutes, until the lamb is tender and pink inside, basting occasionally
with the oil in the pan. Remove the onions and potatoes early if they are
done. Remove the lamb to a serving platter, cover loosely with foil, and
stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh rosemary.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I love lamb and usually don't smoke it. There is enough
smoke flavor from the charcoal and you don't want to overpower the lamb. I
mix together paprika, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and then make slits
in the lamb
and insert the mixture. We still have a little left over and that is what
lunch will be....tom

"nechvatal" > wrote in message
.com...
> We love to grill lamb and would like to try smoking some. I don't see any
> posts about lamb. Any suggestions about cut, rub, etc? Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jdoe wrote:

> I love lamb and usually don't smoke it. There is enough
> smoke flavor from the charcoal and you don't want to overpower the lamb. I
> mix together paprika, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and then make slits
> in the lamb
> and insert the mixture. We still have a little left over and that is what
> lunch will be....tom

Interesting take on this. I kind of go the other way,
though if you were eating over my house I'd go easy on
the smoke. Guests first, always.

Lamb is one of the stronger flavored meats, even the less
gamey cuts. To my tastes, it stands up well to other strong
flavors like as rosemary, garlic, Cabernet, and definetely
smoke. I like big flavors alongside lamb - much less so
with most other meats. When I make lamb sausage, I use
higher intensity spices than usual.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"nechvatal" > wrote in message
.com
> We love to grill lamb and would like to try smoking some. I don't
> see any
> posts about lamb. Any suggestions about cut, rub, etc? Thanks.

Here's a link for Ricky's leg of lamb. (where is he, anyway?)
http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/lamb.txt
You can cook it in the smoker using the "oven" method.

Have fun, eat well and report back.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg > wrote:
> jdoe wrote:
>
> > I love lamb and usually don't smoke it. There is enough
> > smoke flavor from the charcoal and you don't want to overpower the
> > lamb. I mix together paprika, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and
> > then make slits in the lamb
> > and insert the mixture. We still have a little left over and that is
> > what lunch will be....tom

> Interesting take on this. I kind of go the other way,
> though if you were eating over my house I'd go easy on
> the smoke. Guests first, always.
>
> Lamb is one of the stronger flavored meats, even the less
> gamey cuts. To my tastes, it stands up well to other strong
> flavors like as rosemary, garlic, Cabernet, and definetely
> smoke. I like big flavors alongside lamb - much less so
> with most other meats. When I make lamb sausage, I use
> higher intensity spices than usual.

Lamb sausage! You basturt! <don't look. I'm crying>

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"nechvatal" > wrote in message
.com...
> We love to grill lamb and would like to try smoking some. I don't see any
> posts about lamb. Any suggestions about cut, rub, etc? Thanks.

Leg of lamb has a fairly delicate taste, and shouldn't be overwhelmed with
assertive seasonings as you would other commonly smoked meats.
The lamb should be bone in. The flavor is better and the lamb doesn't try
out.
Take all of the fell, or outside connective tissue from the surface of the
lamb.
Stab the lamb all around and put slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary into
the lamb. You could do this overnight, though I don't. Salt with Kosher salt
mildly, as you would steak.
Before you put the lamb on I slather a very thin coating of fat on the
surface to promote browning.
Roast indirectly with wood beginning with a higher temp to promote browning
and sealing of surface, then let temp drop to 275 or so. I don't really know
because I put my hands six inches above the grate and I know when the heat's
right. Turn the lamb over in 20 min., or when brown, and continue to roast.
The lamb is done when the internal temp reaches 115-120F. It's very
important to rest it in a warm place 15 min. before consuming.
This, along with the standing rib roast, is one of the great dishes of the
world.
Have it with a very fine old burgundy. That marries well with the lamb.
Kent

Smoking a lamb shank??? Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 16 14-04-2009 06:35 PM
Smoking lamb Nick Cramer Barbecue 11 13-06-2007 11:29 PM
Smoking a leg of lamb? 43fan Barbecue 14 21-01-2007 07:46 PM
Smoking Lamb? 43fan Barbecue 4 02-09-2006 03:00 AM