Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoking Lamb?

Been a while since I've posted, or been here to read actually. Thought I'd
pop in and see if anyone has any recommendations for smoking lamb. I'd like
to do something "different" over the holiday.

Hope all is well for everyone and your BBQ is turning out as great as you
want!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Been a while since I've posted, or been here to read actually. Thought
> I'd pop in and see if anyone has any recommendations for smoking lamb.
> I'd like to do something "different" over the holiday.
>
> Hope all is well for everyone and your BBQ is turning out as great as you
> want!!

It would be a little bit like smoking veal. Most of the lamb is grilled rare
to medium, depending on the cut. You could try smoking the shank. I would
brine it with lots of rosemary and garlic, and smoke as with anything else.
I haven't tried it. However I think.you have come up with something well
worth trying,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 06:42:54 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "43fan" > wrote in message
>> Been a while since I've posted, or been here to read actually. Thought
>> I'd pop in and see if anyone has any recommendations for smoking lamb.
>> I'd like to do something "different" over the holiday.
>>
>> Hope all is well for everyone and your BBQ is turning out as great as you
>> want!!
>>

> It would be a little bit like smoking veal. Most of the lamb is grilled rare
> to medium, depending on the cut. You could try smoking the shank. I would
> brine it with lots of rosemary and garlic, and smoke as with anything else.
> I haven't tried it. However I think.you have come up with something well
> worth trying,
>
> Kent

I would also recommend the shank. The shanks are kinds small, but they
are also a tough piece of meat so they are good for long term cooking.

But if you are looking to do a traditional leg of lamb, or loin chops I
would have to say that low and slow would not be the way (PLEASE DON'T
HURT ME FOR SAYING THAT). Grill the leg and then roast it untill it gets
medium rare. Leg of lamp dries out and gets tough if cooked to much. Now
that is not to say that you couldn't do a low and slow on a leg. But if
you do go low and slow I would highly recommend doing a brine. And doing a
bone IN leg of lamb.

Raging Chef (Aka Ben)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:

> Been a while since I've posted, or been here to read actually. Thought I'd
> pop in and see if anyone has any recommendations for smoking lamb. I'd like
> to do something "different" over the holiday.
>
> Hope all is well for everyone and your BBQ is turning out as great as you
> want!!

Do it! Good cuts a

Leg: Cook it bone-in, or boned, rolled (stuffed, optionally) and
tied. I prefer it on the rare side, cooked to about 135 F internal.
It's put together kind of weird with multiple muscle sections, so
try and measure it dead center and take multiple readings.

Shoulder: Cook it a bit higher, to about 160 F, and expect
to trim it more. I get the "square cut" shoulder for
about half of what I pay for leg. This is more of my
everyday cut cause it's cheaper.

Shank: Not my favorite for smoking. I leave these for
the stew pot.

This is one kind of meat you don't need or want to brine.
I always oil and brown it well first. The gasser works well
for this, but a hot skillet is ok too. Rub with garlic and
S&P and smoke at around 250 F. Rolled leg of lamb also cooks
well on a rotisserie.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Been a while since I've posted, or been here to read actually. Thought

I'd
> pop in and see if anyone has any recommendations for smoking lamb. I'd

like
> to do something "different" over the holiday.
>
> Hope all is well for everyone and your BBQ is turning out as great as you
> want!!

Me? I'd google groups this group for posts from Louis Cohen, if he's not the
local master of lamb, he is the one of the most informative

When I do lamb, I always use his posts. The man knows lamb.

Smoking a lamb shank??? Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 16 14-04-2009 06:35 PM
Smoking lamb Nick Cramer Barbecue 11 13-06-2007 11:29 PM
Smoking a leg of lamb? 43fan Barbecue 14 21-01-2007 07:46 PM
Smoking lamb? nechvatal Barbecue 7 17-07-2006 05:42 PM