Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Dog Biscuits recipe sought

OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
recipe?

I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
treats for the mutt and others in the nest.

Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.

So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Here are a few links.
http://www.twodogpress.com/dogfood.html
http://gourmetsleuth.com/moredogtreatrecipes.htm
http://gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_dogbiscuit.htm
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2049/doggie.htm

Posted to rec.food.baking

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
> recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
> garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
> dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
> recipe?
>
> I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
> a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
> medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
> want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
> treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>
> Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
> airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>
> So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

==================
There are lots of sites on line; here is one below:>
GourmetSleuth - Dog Treats Recipes
Recipes for making dog biscuits and treats at home. Includes links to dog
biscuit
bakeries, books, and over 200 recipes.
http://gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_dogbiscuit.htm -

Posted to rec.food.baking

pfoley wrote:
==================
> There are lots of sites on line; here is one below:>
> GourmetSleuth - Dog Treats Recipes
> Recipes for making dog biscuits and treats at home. Includes links to dog
> biscuit
> bakeries, books, and over 200 recipes.
> http://gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_dogbiscuit.htm -

Ooh, oh! thanks all. I'll check them out.

I know about the fall-on-the-floor formula. I just want some things
that I can make and box up and mail, instead of just writing checks and
saying, "Buy something for them." More the personal touch. So,
maybe I'm a repressed canine grandma.

Posted to rec.food.baking

-- "pfoley" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> " > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
>> recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
>> garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
>> dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
>> recipe?
>>
>> I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
>> a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
>> medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
>> want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
>> treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>>
>> Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
>> airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>>
>> So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

> ==================

Hi doggy lover at a distance.
Instead of posting links, I prefer to give recipe(s)
Here is the one I have made a couple of times.
I make 1/2 a recipe, because the whole recipe is sooo much for a small
Dachsy.
Also make sure that the dog is NOT allergic to corn and peanutbutter....
I tasted the baked cookie myself, because this is "People" food ingredients;
and although bland they were good.

SPIKE'S VERY OWN (Dog Cookies)
2 C. quick-cooking oats (1)
1/2 C. margarine, cut into pieces (1/4)
4 beef or chicken bouillon cubes ( 2 tsp. chicken stock powder)
2 C. boiling water (1 c)
2 C. whole wheat flour (1 c)
1-1/2 C. yellow cornmeal (3/4)
2 T. sugar (1tbs)
1 C. milk (1/2 c buttermilk)
2 large eggs (1)
2 C. grated cheese (optional) (1)
2 to 4 C. all-purpose flour (1 1/2)
optional 1 tbs. of peanutbutter
Note : amounts between (parentheses )are for 1/2 a recipe)
Preheat oven to 350°F . Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
Measure oats into a medium bowl, top with pieces of margarine and the
bouillon cubes. Pour in boiling water and let sit 10 minutes to dissolve the
margarine and bouillon cubes. Mix well, then add whole wheat flour,
cornmeal, sugar, milk, eggs and optional cheese. Add enough of the all
purpose flour to make a stiff dough. Mix well, using hands if necessary.
Roll out dough. The thinner the dough, the crisper the baked treats
will be. Use bone- or cat-shaped cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Bake on
prepared cookie sheets until hard, 5 to 15 minutes depending on how thin the
dough is rolled. Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.
Dutchess - Grandma of (now) 2 dachsies.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 25 Aug 2006 20:59:55 -0700, " <Jim2929@gm>
wrote:ail.com

>OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
>recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
>garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
>dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
>recipe?
>
>I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
>a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
>medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
>want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
>treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>
>Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
>airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>
>So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Good Luck with the below

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dog Treats 1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 72 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Dog Treats

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup peanut butter -- creamy
3/4 cup rolled oats -- quick
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup salad oil

Preheat oven to 350F
Mix 1 cup of flour with the rest of the ingredients until blended.
Add the remaining flour to make a firm ball.
Roll out to 1/4" thick on a floured board.
Cut into shape
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown
Recipe can be doubled.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 30 Calories; 1g Fat (39.1%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 25mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dog Treats 2

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Dog Treats

1/2 cup dry milk
1 egg -- well beaten
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt -- * see note
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup water
6 tablespoons gravy
Baby food meat.

Preheat oven to 350F
Combine and shape into ball and roll on floured board
Use extra flour if needed.
Cut, Bake for 25-30 minutes
Cool
Should be hard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 35 Calories; 1g Fat (15.6%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
6mg Cholesterol; 64mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : * You may substitute Onion Salt

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gourmet Dog Biscuits

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Dog Treats

15 oz liver -- raw
1 1/2 lb flour
8 oz Quaker Oats
3 bouillon cubes -- Meat or chicken
1 cup water -- approximately
2 eggs -- beaten

Preheat oven to 350
Grease 3 cookie sheets.
Chop liver finely or put briefly in a blender.
Mix flour and oats, crumble in the bouillon cubes, eggs and chopped
liver.
Add enough water to make a firm, but slightly sticky dough
Spread evenly on the cookie sheets, about 1/2 thick.
Dip a small dog-cookie cutter in flour before cutting out each
portion.
Bake 60 minutes
Can be kept for about 2 week
Store n refrigerator.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 109 Calories; 1g Fat (5.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
18mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Santa Paws

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Dog Treats

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup pecans
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup dried fruit -- * see note
3/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons margarine

Preheat oven to 300F
Combine ingredients and gradually add milk, margarine and egg.
Knead into a dough
Roll dough 1/4" thick.
Cut with cookie cutter (Bone shaped of course) and place on an
ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 45 minutes

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 117 Calories; 5g Fat (35.1%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
1mg Cholesterol; 36mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Your choice, apricots, bananas, apples, raisins, etc.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Posted to rec.food.baking

I have a couple doggie biscuit/ treat recipes: In this one I use the
immiation bacon bits vs. the real bacon and add a bit of garlic- My
spaniel loves this home made treats.

CHEESIE BACON BISCUIT
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg, slightlybeaten
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups regular oats, uncooked
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup wheat germ
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp, drained, and crumbled

Procedu
Combine flour, soda and salt; mix well and set aside. Cream butter and
sugar; beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, mixing well.

Stir in remaining ingredients.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 350 for 16 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for a minute or so
before removing to cooling rack.

wrote:
> OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
> recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
> garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
> dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
> recipe?
>
> I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
> a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
> medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
> want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
> treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>
> Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
> airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>
> So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Posted to rec.food.baking

MILK BONE DOG BISCUITS

3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour

Variation: increase margarine to 1/2 cup and add 2 teaspoons sugar

In large bowl pour hot water over the margarine. Stir in powdered milk,
salt, and egg.

Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Knead for a few minutes to form stiff
dough. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thickness.

Cut into bone shapes.
Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool.

They will dry out quite hard.

Makes about 1 1/4 pounds of biscuits. Costs around 30 cents per pound.

wrote:
> OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
> recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
> garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
> dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
> recipe?
>
> I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
> a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
> medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
> want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
> treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>
> Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
> airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>
> So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Posted to rec.food.baking

I have yet to make these for My dog, but I would keep these ones
especially in the frig. I think.

SNICKERPOODLES

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup honey
2 eggs
3 ¾ cups white flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix vegetable oil, shortening , honey with eggs.

Beat well.

Add flour, soda and cream of tartar.

Knead dough until mixed well.
Shape dough by rounded teaspoons into balls.

Mix the cornmeal and cinnamon together in a bowl and roll balls in
mixture.

Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet .
Press the balls down with a fork.

Bake for 8-10 minutes at 400F. Cool on a rack.

Store in airtight container.

wrote:
> OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
> recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
> garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
> dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
> recipe?
>
> I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
> a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
> medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
> want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
> treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>
> Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
> airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>
> So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Posted to rec.food.baking

NO FLEA DOG TREATS