Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Dog Biscuits recipe sought

OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
recipe?

I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
treats for the mutt and others in the nest.

Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.

So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Posted to rec.food.baking

wrote on 26 Aug 2006 in rec.food.baking

> OK, I haven't had luck on a web search. In the past I have seen a
> recipe for making one's own doggie treats. Basically wheat flour,
> garlic powder for the stinky value, and whatever to bake into a firm,
> dry, cut-out biscuit. But I can't find it/them now. Anyone have a
> recipe?
>
> I'm the foster father at a distance of a cocker spaniel in New Orleans,
> a Katrina storm survivor. Long story. Paid some bills for care and
> medical, can't take him home cross-country, at least just now. So I
> want to send a personalized care package to his step-mom, including
> treats for the mutt and others in the nest.
>
> Next I need to investigate how bad it is for dogs to travel in an
> airplane baggage hold. But that's another story.
>
> So, anyone have a recipe for doggie biscuits?

Have you considered using a dehydrator and drying up a thinly sliced lean
cut of meat? Kinda like Dawg Jerky...of course cut into treat sized
pieces. Don't season it just make it into small thin pieces. Partially
freeze meat to make thin slicing easier.

Or bake it in the oven at around 180-200F till it has turned into dog
jerky... several hours.

Alternate is puree a lb of beef liver ; then add enough flour to make a
stiff paste and then add some eggs till cookie like dough is
achieved...roll out and use a bone shaped cookie cutter. Bake till nicely
browned at around 350F.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan