Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Chewy Brownies

I need a recipe, that has been been tried, for gooey and chewy brownies
for a special occasion.

-Thanx
Posted to rec.food.baking

Try this:

http://baking.about.com/cs/brownies/a/withasecret.htm

This "secret" to this recipe's moistness is the corn syrup (that also
explains why the best packaged brownie mixes use those little liquid
"chocolate packets", which contain corn syrup. Although this recipe
doesn't mention it (and I have not tried it), substituting bread flour
for the all-purpose flour will make the brownies chewy (the high gluten
content does the trick).

Art

Posted to rec.food.baking

lakota wrote:
> I need a recipe, that has been been tried, for gooey and chewy brownies
> for a special occasion.
>
> -Thanx

The reduced fat brownies in the Joy of Cooking are fantastic - just made
them for the first time this weekend and will definitely use this recipe
again. I don't know how "reduced" the fat is, as they still use a fair
amount of chocolate, but they definitely qualify as chewy, gooey.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:22:33 GMT, zipporah > wrote:

>The reduced fat brownies in the Joy of Cooking are fantastic

Which edition?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

zipporah wrote:
> lakota wrote:
>
>> I need a recipe, that has been been tried, for gooey and chewy
>> brownies for a special occasion.
>>
>> -Thanx

> The reduced fat brownies in the Joy of Cooking are fantastic - just made
> them for the first time this weekend and will definitely use this recipe
> again. I don't know how "reduced" the fat is, as they still use a fair
> amount of chocolate, but they definitely qualify as chewy, gooey.

Is the recipe available online somewhere? I don't think I have the book.

Posted to rec.food.baking

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:22:33 GMT, zipporah > wrote:
>
>> The reduced fat brownies in the Joy of Cooking are fantastic

> Which edition?
>
> -- Larry

It's the "All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking" published in 1997 - poking
about with google yields that it's the sixth revision. This particular
recipe didn't exist in the earlier version of Joy that I have...
Posted to rec.food.baking

lakota wrote:
> zipporah wrote:
>> lakota wrote:
>>
>>> I need a recipe, that has been been tried, for gooey and chewy
>>> brownies for a special occasion.
>>>
>>> -Thanx

>> The reduced fat brownies in the Joy of Cooking are fantastic - just
>> made them for the first time this weekend and will definitely use this
>> recipe again. I don't know how "reduced" the fat is, as they still
>> use a fair amount of chocolate, but they definitely qualify as chewy,
>> gooey.

> Is the recipe available online somewhere? I don't think I have the book.

I couldn't find the recipe online... but here it is (not word for word
as I'm too lazy)

Yield: 12 brownies (one 8x8 pan - although I doubled the rec and did a
9x13 as I had 4 egg whites left over from something else)

whisk together:
3/4 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

melt, stirring constantly, over very low heat (use a big pan so you can
stir in the dry ingred. later):
4 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used very
good brand semisweet chips, because that's what I keep on hand)
2 tsp corn/canola oil

remove from heat and stir in until well combined:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup (I only had dark - worked dandy)
1 tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla

add and stir until sugar dissolved:
2 egg whites

stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture until well blended and smooth.

scrape batter into pan, spreading to edges. Bake until center is almost
firm when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean, but still moist and fudgy at the bottom (20-25 min). Cool in pan.

It suggested lining the pan with foil and greasing the foil so that you
could use that as a handle to remove the brownies for cutting. I went
ahead and did it, and it certainly makes for some easy cleanup on the
pan - although I plunked the cut brownies back into my 9x13 pan, since
it has a handy cover.

I think I baked for 22 min and the brownies were done through rather
than still a little gooey, but they taste phenomenal and they're still
very chewy.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Thank you so much for typing it up!

CHEWY brownies notbob General Cooking 32 17-08-2012 09:27 PM
Chewy Brownies Toni[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2008 03:54 AM
Ultimate Chewy Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-07-2005 05:58 PM
Chewy, Fudgy Triple-Chocolate Brownies Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 14-12-2003 03:28 AM
too chewy gary Sourdough 1 05-11-2003 07:31 PM