Posted to rec.food.baking
zipporah zipporah is offline

Default Chewy Brownies

lakota wrote:
> zipporah wrote:
>> lakota wrote:
>>
>>> I need a recipe, that has been been tried, for gooey and chewy
>>> brownies for a special occasion.
>>>
>>> -Thanx

>> The reduced fat brownies in the Joy of Cooking are fantastic - just
>> made them for the first time this weekend and will definitely use this
>> recipe again. I don't know how "reduced" the fat is, as they still
>> use a fair amount of chocolate, but they definitely qualify as chewy,
>> gooey.

> Is the recipe available online somewhere? I don't think I have the book.

I couldn't find the recipe online... but here it is (not word for word
as I'm too lazy)

Yield: 12 brownies (one 8x8 pan - although I doubled the rec and did a
9x13 as I had 4 egg whites left over from something else)

whisk together:
3/4 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

melt, stirring constantly, over very low heat (use a big pan so you can
stir in the dry ingred. later):
4 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used very
good brand semisweet chips, because that's what I keep on hand)
2 tsp corn/canola oil

remove from heat and stir in until well combined:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup (I only had dark - worked dandy)
1 tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla

add and stir until sugar dissolved:
2 egg whites

stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture until well blended and smooth.

scrape batter into pan, spreading to edges. Bake until center is almost
firm when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean, but still moist and fudgy at the bottom (20-25 min). Cool in pan.

It suggested lining the pan with foil and greasing the foil so that you
could use that as a handle to remove the brownies for cutting. I went
ahead and did it, and it certainly makes for some easy cleanup on the
pan - although I plunked the cut brownies back into my 9x13 pan, since
it has a handy cover.

I think I baked for 22 min and the brownies were done through rather
than still a little gooey, but they taste phenomenal and they're still
very chewy.