Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Shrinking pie crust

How can I prevent a pie crust from shrinking when it's baked without a
filling (pre-baked)?

--

"A wise man can see more from the bottom
of a well than a fool can see from the top of a mountain."

Posted to rec.food.baking

Ken Ortmann wrote:
> How can I prevent a pie crust from shrinking when it's baked without a
> filling (pre-baked)?

Do a Google search for the term "baking blind"

Posted to rec.food.baking

Ken Ortmann wrote:

> How can I prevent a pie crust from shrinking when it's baked without a
> filling (pre-baked)?

There are several ways to prevent this. One is to prick the crust, then
fill it with dried beans, or pie beads, which are made from ceramic.
There is also a chain of beans (google for cooks catalogs) that you can
place at the bottom to keep the crust from puffing up and shrinking.
Posted to rec.food.baking

deepeddygirl wrote:
> Ken Ortmann wrote:
>
>> How can I prevent a pie crust from shrinking when it's baked without a
>> filling (pre-baked)?
>>

> There are several ways to prevent this. One is to prick the crust, then
> fill it with dried beans, or pie beads, which are made from ceramic.
> There is also a chain of beans (google for cooks catalogs) that you can
> place at the bottom to keep the crust from puffing up and shrinking.

The problem can start sooner than that. When putting the dough into the
plate, it can't be stretched or it will shrink. It's difficult to
explain, but easy to deal with.

Drape the dough over the plate and lift the edges to lower the center
into the plate rather than pressing it down. Press (very gently) the
dough out from the center while lifting the edges and feeding in however
much dough is needed to make it fit. When you get to the bottom of the
slope, lift the edges and very gently push the dough down into the
plate, rather than stretching it out from the center. Do that all the
way around. Trim and decorate to suit yourself.

Pastorio

The shrinking coffee cup(s) Fred/Libby Barclay General Cooking 10 17-09-2008 03:01 PM
shrinking pie crust Jake Baking 4 21-06-2006 12:33 AM
Shrinking pie crust Baking 3 17-02-2006 02:44 AM
Shrinking Peaches Casey Wilson Preserving 1 02-07-2004 09:28 AM
The case of shrinking crust. Fred General Cooking 2 29-12-2003 11:35 PM