Fred

Default The case of shrinking crust.

I have about 50 years of cooking experience under my belt but I'm new to
baking. I made up a tart crust dough (actually I made up 3 of them and the
one I used last night was one of those.) It had been refrigerated for two
days. I rolled it out and installed it in a standard tart pan. I was
careful to ensure that I didn't stretch the dough as I filled the pan.
After baking, the crust had shrunk to the point that there were no sides
left at all. It was a pancake. I used this same batch of dough last week
and it worked fine. The only change was a different tart pan (Kaiser.)
Dough too thick? Pan too slippery? Dough too cold? Any ideas?

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

June Oshiro

Fred wrote:
> I made up a tart crust dough

[snip]
> After baking, the crust had shrunk to the point that there were no sides
> left at all.

A quick google search ("shrinking pie crust") leads me to these sites:

http://www.baking911.com/_disc10/00000d3a.htm
http://www.flakier.com/bakersnook/bakingtips.htm
http://missourifamilies.org/quick/nu...a/nutqa110.htm

and a bunch more.

If you're interested in pursuing more pie/tart baking, I recommend Rose
Levy Beranbaum's book, the Pie and Pastry Bible. It's pricey (but
hefty), I think it's worth it if you plan to do a lot of baking. You
might be able to get it from The Good Cook or other book club for much
less - I think that's how I got mine.

-j.

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:50:51 GMT, "Fred" >
wrote:

>I have about 50 years of cooking experience under my belt but I'm new to
>baking. I made up a tart crust dough (actually I made up 3 of them and the
>one I used last night was one of those.) It had been refrigerated for two
>days. I rolled it out and installed it in a standard tart pan. I was
>careful to ensure that I didn't stretch the dough as I filled the pan.
>After baking, the crust had shrunk to the point that there were no sides
>left at all. It was a pancake. I used this same batch of dough last week
>and it worked fine. The only change was a different tart pan (Kaiser.)
>Dough too thick? Pan too slippery? Dough too cold? Any ideas?
>
>Fred
>The Good Gourmet
>http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Not much pie dough experience here, but I allways stretch out my
pizza dough before going onto the filling etc stage. If the dough
is still "active" it will tend to pull back and I often re-stretch
it a couple of times before it stays where it's supposed to. It will
pull separate a little from the pizza pan edges indicating when it's
ready to come out. My guess is that your dough was a little too
cold.

Harry

The shrinking coffee cup(s) Fred/Libby Barclay General Cooking 10 17-09-2008 03:01 PM
The shrinking coffee cup(s) Fred/Libby Barclay General Cooking 1 14-09-2008 01:04 AM
shrinking pie crust Jake Baking 4 21-06-2006 12:33 AM
Shrinking pie crust Baking 3 17-02-2006 01:44 AM
Shrinking pie crust Ken Ortmann Baking 3 06-02-2006 06:43 PM