Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The shrinking coffee cup(s)

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, as I haven't been lurking
for a week or two......

Last night I emptied my Folger's coffee cannister and noticed the new
one had a different label and top. I knew what was coming before I even
looked further.

The label on the old container reads 'makes up to 270 - 6 oz cups.' The
new label reads 'makes up to 240 - 6 oz cups.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby Barclay wrote:
> Pardon me if this has been discussed before, as I haven't been lurking
> for a week or two......
>
> Last night I emptied my Folger's coffee cannister and noticed the new
> one had a different label and top. I knew what was coming before I even
> looked further.
>
> The label on the old container reads 'makes up to 270 - 6 oz cups.' The
> new label reads 'makes up to 240 - 6 oz cups.'

Nothing new, at least they didn't insult you further by claiming:

"NEW PROCESS!, make the same number of cups with less coffee..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 12:43 pm, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> Pardon me if this has been discussed before, as I haven't been lurking
> for a week or two......
>
> Last night I emptied my Folger's coffee cannister and noticed the new
> one had a different label and top. I knew what was coming before I even
> looked further.
>
> The label on the old container reads 'makes up to 270 - 6 oz cups.' The
> new label reads 'makes up to 240 - 6 oz cups.'

somewhere in my files I have a copy of the 'obituary for the nickel
Hershey bar' that was in Busines Week magazine. It died of under
weight.

GeneK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Fred/Libby Barclay wrote:
>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before, as I haven't been lurking
>> for a week or two......
>>
>> Last night I emptied my Folger's coffee cannister and noticed the new
>> one had a different label and top. I knew what was coming before I even
>> looked further.
>>
>> The label on the old container reads 'makes up to 270 - 6 oz cups.' The
>> new label reads 'makes up to 240 - 6 oz cups.'
>>

> Nothing new, at least they didn't insult you further by claiming:
>
> "NEW PROCESS!, make the same number of cups with less coffee..."

So, what's the problem? Don't you read the label on the front of the
container that tells you how much product is in it, when you take it off
the shelf? Was that different from the last time you bought it?

<I'll bet you don't even know>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:54:29 -0400, T >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before, as I haven't been lurking
>> for a week or two......
>>
>> Last night I emptied my Folger's coffee cannister and noticed the new
>> one had a different label and top. I knew what was coming before I even
>> looked further.
>>
>> The label on the old container reads 'makes up to 270 - 6 oz cups.' The
>> new label reads 'makes up to 240 - 6 oz cups.'
>>

>The company I work for is developing nutritional rating systems. We were
>talking about re-packagings. So the price doesn't change but you get
>less and less.

You're a consumer too - yet you could treat consumers like we're
stupid. Raise the price and give us a 16 oz pound. Don't shrink the
contents and keep the packaging the same size. Given no choice - we
have to buy your reduced weight, same sized packages and hate knowing
you're getting away with it with a smirk on your face.

When I have a choice, that's why I buy "bulk". Take coffee, for
instance. A pound is still a pound on the end cap where I can pour
and grind it myself.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:46:46 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:54:29 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
says...

>>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before, as I haven't been lurking
>>> for a week or two......
>>>
>>> Last night I emptied my Folger's coffee cannister and noticed the new
>>> one had a different label and top. I knew what was coming before I even
>>> looked further.
>>>
>>> The label on the old container reads 'makes up to 270 - 6 oz cups.' The
>>> new label reads 'makes up to 240 - 6 oz cups.'
>>>

>>The company I work for is developing nutritional rating systems. We were
>>talking about re-packagings. So the price doesn't change but you get
>>less and less.

> You're a consumer too - yet you could treat consumers like we're
> stupid. Raise the price and give us a 16 oz pound. Don't shrink the
> contents and keep the packaging the same size. Given no choice - we
> have to buy your reduced weight, same sized packages and hate knowing
> you're getting away with it with a smirk on your face.

i'm sure that companies have studied the issue very carefully and
discovered that lots of consumers *are* stupid.

[insert rant about republican party here]

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:38:13 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i'm sure that companies have studied the issue very carefully and
>discovered that lots of consumers *are* stupid.

That's the *first* time when people just grab familiar objects. After
they get home and actually *look* at what they got.... they're ****ed
off by the deception.

Again, with no other option... what can they do?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message
> That's the *first* time when people just grab familiar objects. After
> they get home and actually *look* at what they got.... they're ****ed
> off by the deception.
>
> Again, with no other option... what can they do?

Bitch about it. Many companies have web sites where you can feedback
directly or get some contact information. When will it stop? When a can of
coffee holds just two cups worth of grounds? When icecream containers are
down to a single scoop?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> <sf> wrote in message
>> That's the *first* time when people just grab familiar objects. After
>> they get home and actually *look* at what they got.... they're ****ed
>> off by the deception.
>>
>> Again, with no other option... what can they do?

> Bitch about it. Many companies have web sites where you can feedback
> directly or get some contact information. When will it stop? When a can of
> coffee holds just two cups worth of grounds? When icecream containers are
> down to a single scoop?

It will be like paper towels. Eventually these things will come
back in a new, pricy, jumbo-sized package, which might equal the
old ones in size.

--
Jean B.