Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default Shrinking pie crust

deepeddygirl wrote:
> Ken Ortmann wrote:
>
>> How can I prevent a pie crust from shrinking when it's baked without a
>> filling (pre-baked)?
>>

> There are several ways to prevent this. One is to prick the crust, then
> fill it with dried beans, or pie beads, which are made from ceramic.
> There is also a chain of beans (google for cooks catalogs) that you can
> place at the bottom to keep the crust from puffing up and shrinking.

The problem can start sooner than that. When putting the dough into the
plate, it can't be stretched or it will shrink. It's difficult to
explain, but easy to deal with.

Drape the dough over the plate and lift the edges to lower the center
into the plate rather than pressing it down. Press (very gently) the
dough out from the center while lifting the edges and feeding in however
much dough is needed to make it fit. When you get to the bottom of the
slope, lift the edges and very gently push the dough down into the
plate, rather than stretching it out from the center. Do that all the
way around. Trim and decorate to suit yourself.

Pastorio