Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Vanilla Liqueur? What brand?

I am desperately looking for a small bottle of vanilla liqueur for a
cheesecake recipe. I spoke to one liquor store that had a brand, I wish
I could remember what it was called, but it was in a large bottle and
cost almost $30. I just don't want to spend that much for 1/2 cup of it
in a recipe that I might not even like! Anyway, I wanted to see if
anyone had some brands or types of vanilla liqueur that I could search
for... I have found online a type called French Kiss but have so far
had no luck actually finding it anyway. I live in Los Angeles and feel
like this shouldn't be so difficult! Any help or advise would be
greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Jen

Posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley

wrote:

>I am desperately looking for a small bottle of vanilla liqueur for a
>cheesecake recipe. I spoke to one liquor store that had a brand, I wish
>I could remember what it was called, but it was in a large bottle and
>cost almost $30. I just don't want to spend that much for 1/2 cup of it
>in a recipe that I might not even like! Anyway, I wanted to see if
>anyone had some brands or types of vanilla liqueur that I could search
>for... I have found online a type called French Kiss but have so far
>had no luck actually finding it anyway. I live in Los Angeles and feel
>like this shouldn't be so difficult! Any help or advise would be
>greatly appreciated.

I don't know how CA regulates liquor sales. You may not be able to
order alcohol from out of state. Vanilla liqueur isn't that common --
there are only a few brands out there (French Kiss, Silhouette,
Vadan(sp? - which is probably the expensive one)), although you might
be able to use vanilla schnapps (not that I would suggest that)....

Many liqueurs come in smaller bottles, but they're only available at
some outlets. In MI, for example, while all liquor is wholesaled by
the state, different retailers will have different sized bottles. I
can get small bottles of many liquors at the grocer in town.

You could make your own with vanilla beans, vodka, and sugar
<http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/1151>. Or put a tablespoon or two
of vanilla extract and a similar amount of sugar into a measuring cup,
fill it to the 1/2 mark with white rum or vodka, stir well to dissolve
the sugar. Or get some of that vanilla flavoring they sell for coffee
and use that instead of the vanilla and sugar.
--
Jenn Ridley :