Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Making jam in a bread machine

The thought of making jam in my breadmaker seemed just too stupid to
be true:- until I tried it.
First I made a batch of apricot jam, and it is terrific. Just chop
the fruit, add sugar then set and forget - no stirring; no sticking to
the bottom of the saucepan; no burning the sugar. Afterward, the
nonstick bread pan was a snap to clean.
Next I made a terrific tomato ketchup from my home grown tomatoes -
just use the jam setting - it tastes better than Heinz!

The handbook said not to add more than 600 gms of fruit, but I used
more than 1 Kg in each case with no problem at all.

If like me, you thought 'this won't work' then I recommend you try it.
Almost worth having a breadmaker just to make jams and sauces - it is
so easy and foolproof.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dee Randall

> wrote in message
> The thought of making jam in my breadmaker seemed just too stupid to
> be true:- until I tried it.
> First I made a batch of apricot jam, and it is terrific. Just chop
> the fruit, add sugar then set and forget - no stirring; no sticking to
> the bottom of the saucepan; no burning the sugar. Afterward, the
> nonstick bread pan was a snap to clean.
> Next I made a terrific tomato ketchup from my home grown tomatoes -
> just use the jam setting - it tastes better than Heinz!
>
> The handbook said not to add more than 600 gms of fruit, but I used
> more than 1 Kg in each case with no problem at all.
>
> If like me, you thought 'this won't work' then I recommend you try it.
> Almost worth having a breadmaker just to make jams and sauces - it is
> so easy and foolproof.

I made some applesauce this morning. Now I'm wondering if I'd put it in my
breadmaker if I would have had apple butter.
Dee