Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Can i use dry granular yeast in the breadmaker?

My breadmaker manual says I shouldn't use the dry granular yeast that
comes in cans, but it's cheaper to buy than the easy bake sachets. Has
anyone tried them?

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> My breadmaker manual says I shouldn't use the dry granular yeast that
> comes in cans, but it's cheaper to buy than the easy bake sachets. Has
> anyone tried them?

The yeast that is recommended for bread makers is INSTANT dry yeast. This is
also sold as bread machine yeast. I know it is available in small jars, but
since I don't buy small quantities of yeast, I don't know if you can get it
is sachets.

Instant dry yeast is specifically formulate to be mixed with the dry
ingredients and does not (and should not) be hydrated or "proofed" before
mixing it into the dough. You can always try to use the standard active dry
yeast and see how it works.

That said, I use instant dry yeast for all my needs and I don't use a bread
machine. There are three economical sources for instant dry yeast that I
know. First is Sam's Club (and maybe Costco). Sam's carries two pound
packages of Freshman's Instant Dry Yeast for $2.85. It will last for at
least two years if stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator or
freezer. Costco sometimes carries Red Star Instant Dry Yeast in two, one
pound packages bundled together, and sometimes they only carry regular dry
yeast. The next place to look is Gordon Food Service or GFS Marketplace.
They carry one pound packages of both Freshman's and SAF instant for about
$2.00. I prefer SAF and that's where I buy mine. If you don't have a GFS
or access to one of the club stores, you can buy bulk yeast online from King
Arthur Flour's Baker's Catalog website. The price is about $5 a pound plus
shipping, but that is still far less expensive than buying it in the small
packages or the small jar at the supermarket. Here is a link:
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/list...13 6818440416

Posted to rec.food.baking
John

On the off chance that your in the UK...

Tesco sell 125 gram packs of Alison instant dry yeast, which is made for
use in breadmakers. (Same price & pack size as their 'normal' dried yeast)

John

wrote:
> My breadmaker manual says I shouldn't use the dry granular yeast that
> comes in cans, but it's cheaper to buy than the easy bake sachets. Has
> anyone tried them?

Posted to rec.food.baking
RsH

I buy the 454 gram vacuum pack of the Fleishmann's Instant Yeast and
transfer a quarter to a brown bottle I keep in the fridge, and close
the rest up tightly and keep it in the freezer. Fleishmann's has the
Bread Machine Yeast in the 2.25 teaspoon packets of 7 grams, as well as
the 113 gram jars. The instant yeast in the vacuum pack is effectively
the same yeast and is used the same way in bread makers. I have also
seen coffee can sizes of yeast in Costco here in Canada but have not
yet purchased that much, as I have no good way to store it in that
larger size. I suspect it too is the same yeast on the inside. :-)