Posted to rec.food.baking
Hallstream

Default Cake frosting

Hi,

I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Hallstream" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?

You mean like growing your own sugar cane and making butter from your own
dairy farm?

Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

>You mean like growing your own sugar cane and making butter from your own
>dairy farm?

LOL!
Maybe Vox....that is what the OP wants.... unless she or he will be
specific on what scratch means .....

Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:47:12 +0100, Hallstream
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
>scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?

This is a very nice recipe...but don't skip beating the butter with
the sugar. Beat until you can NOT feel any sugar granules between
your fingers.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Boiled Frosting

Frostings

1 cup milk
4 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour and milk over medium heat until it forms a paste. Let cool.

Mix butter and sugar together then beat in cooled flour and milk
mixture.
This will take 10 minutes, at least, until no sugar granules can be
felt
between fingers. Add vanilla.

Yield: 1 batch

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Posted to rec.food.baking
Rina

What do you mean, "prefabricated stuff"?

Butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla and a bit of cream... all pretty
ordinary ingredients in my book.

Rina

"Hallstream" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Posted to rec.food.baking
Rina

Default Cake frosting - here's a recipe

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Cream Frosting

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert Frosting
Toppings

5 1/3 tablespoons butter -- 2/3 stick or 2 5/8 ounces
1/3 cup vegetable shortening -- 2 oz
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 pound confectioners' sugar -- 4 to 5 cups, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk or cream -- 1/4 to 1/3 cup, 2 to 2 1/2 oz

In a bowl beat together butter, shortening and salt until fluffy. Add about
half the confectioners' sugar and beat slowly until well blended. Add the
vanilla and half the milk and beat until fluffy.

Continue mixing in sugar and milk alternately until they've completely
incorporated, and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. To increase
yield, If you want some frosting left over for decorating, change the
ingredient amounts as follows: 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup veg shortening,
approximately 6 cups sugar and up to 1/2 cup of milk or cream.

Source:
"King Arthur Flour Cookbook"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Will frost 8 or 9" layer cake, 9 x 13" cake, or 24 cupcakes

"Hallstream" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Posted to rec.food.baking

Hallstream wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

A very basic frosting is simply confectioners (powdered) sugar, a few
drops of vanilla extract (or flavor of choice), and a little water. Add
water to desired consistancy.

Use orange or lemon juice instead of vanilla and less water.

Try your local library for any book on cake baking, wedding / birthdays
etc and you should find recipes for plain, boiled, butter creme , royal
icing etc.

regards

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Hallstream wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> > scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Mark

> A very basic frosting is simply confectioners (powdered) sugar, a few
> drops of vanilla extract (or flavor of choice), and a little water. Add
> water to desired consistancy.
>
> Use orange or lemon juice instead of vanilla and less water.

I call that a glaze rather than a frosting.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Hallstream

Hallstream skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Thanks for all answers to my question.

I feel rather stupid after realising the simplicity of the recepie and
if I had thought of it a quick search on the internet would probobly
have answered all my questions.

Regards,
Mark

Posted to rec.food.baking
Nexis

"Hallstream" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wounder if there is anyone who knows how to make cake frosting from
> scratch, without any prefabricated stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

What kind of frosting are you looking for? There's plenty of varieties, and
they're all pretty easy to do, and taste infinitely better than
store-bought.
For example, a simple cream cheese frosting:
8 oz softened cream cheese
4 ounces softened butter
4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp of milk
Combine the butter and cream cheese with the paddle attachment of your
mixer. Add the sugar, vanilla, and 1 tbsp of the milk. When it's creamy and
smooth, check for consistency..if too thick, add a little more milk. Easy!
You can change it up so many ways. Flavor with some orange oil and grated
orange peel...or try lemon or lime the same way. Or, melt the butter and
combine with 1/2 cup cocoa for the yummiest chocolate frosting.

Experiment!

kimberly