Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:55:42 -0800, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What's your suggestion?
> > Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..

>Have you considered a butter cream?

Just a thought, you could monkey around with a bananas Foster recipe
and drizzle it over each slice as a warm sauce.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Bananas Foster

desserts

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 bananas
1/4 cup banana liqueur
1/3 cup rum
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 pint vanilla ice cream

Peel and halve bananas lengthwise. Melt brown sugar and butter
together over medium heat. Add lemon zest and cook for 2 minutes. Add
cinnamon and bananas and cook on low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, spooning
sugar mixture over bananas. Combine banana liquor, rum and lemon juice
and heat in microwave for 40 seconds, pour over bananas and sugar
mixture in the pan at the table and ignite. Stir until the flames die.
Serve over vanilla ice cream.

Notes: alt.recipes.hawaii (Bruddah' J. "Kimo" Clement)

Yield: 4 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Just a thought, you could monkey around with a bananas Foster recipe
> and drizzle it over each slice as a warm sauce.

Yes, we have no bananas any more. :-)
Thanks for the thought.
I made a cream cheesey buttercreamy frosting with lemon juice and zest.
Then, because I couldn't whittle down to one choice beyond that, left
1/3 of the top plain, 1/3 covered with toasted shredded coconut, and 1/3
covered with chopped black walnuts. It's pretty good. ;-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>>Just a thought, you could monkey around with a bananas Foster recipe
>>and drizzle it over each slice as a warm sauce.
>>

> Yes, we have no bananas any more. :-)
> Thanks for the thought.
> I made a cream cheesey buttercreamy frosting with lemon juice and zest.
> Then, because I couldn't whittle down to one choice beyond that, left
> 1/3 of the top plain, 1/3 covered with toasted shredded coconut, and 1/3
> covered with chopped black walnuts. It's pretty good. ;-)

I did not want to seem presumptuous, but my first thought was serving
the cake warm & plain, with a nice cup of coffee or perhaps a glass of
cream sherry

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3
Owner|Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeTarot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:

> I did not want to seem presumptuous, but my first thought was serving
> the cake warm & plain, with a nice cup of coffee or perhaps a glass of
> cream sherry

:-) That does sound good, Joseph, but was not practical at the time.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snippers)
> I made a cream cheesey buttercreamy frosting with lemon juice and zest.
> Then, because I couldn't whittle down to one choice beyond that, left
> 1/3 of the top plain, 1/3 covered with toasted shredded coconut, and 1/3
> covered with chopped black walnuts. It's pretty good. ;-)

Now that's a tasty compromise!!! Did you take any photos of the
finished cake before and after it was cut, by chance?

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> Perhaps I missed it, but what did you end up doing?

Lemon cream cheese buttercream with chopped black walnuts atop 1/3, and
toasted shredded coconut atop another 1/3. It's good.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> That does sound good. I'm a lover of both black walnuts and coconut. Did
> you use black walnuts or other nuts *in* the cake?

I did. Plain walnuts.