Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cake frosting failure

I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
her to enjoy success and compliments.
It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet cake
and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out of the
oven.
Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
vanilla.
I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups. She
used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just ANY
clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her brothers who
were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but she (and I ) are
disappointed and puzzled.
Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
> touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
> her to enjoy success and compliments.
> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
> cake and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out
> of the oven.
> Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
> vanilla.
> I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
> The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
> It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
> My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups. She
> used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just ANY
> clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her brothers who
> were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but she (and I )
> are disappointed and puzzled.
> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
> Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts?
> Polly

she does not realize that she used too much milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
> touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
> her to enjoy success and compliments.
> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
> cake and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out
> of the oven.
> Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
> vanilla.
> I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
> The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
> It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
> My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups. She
> used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just ANY
> clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her brothers who
> were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but she (and I )
> are disappointed and puzzled.
> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
> Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts?
> Polly

That is the same sort of frosting I have almost always made. I never even
used a recipe. The only time it didn't come out right for me was when I
added too much milk. Now mind you this was when I was like 8 years old. I
learned that I had to add the milk a drop at a time until I got the right
consistency. And I learned to make it thicker than what I thought it should
be. Add just enough liquid to get it to where you could spread it.

If it does get too thin, the trick to fixing it is to add more powdered
sugar. But then that will also change the flavor. So you'll need to add a
little more vanilla, salt and if you are using it, cocoa. I just did it to
taste.

Also keep in mind that if you are using a liquid vanilla, you'll not need
very much milk at all. If you are using a powdered vanilla, you'll need a
little more. But still, the amount of milk to use is usually just a few
drops. Maybe at the most a Tablespoon, but it's highly unlikely that you'd
need that much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just ANY
>clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her brothers who
>were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but she (and I ) are
>disappointed and puzzled.
> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
>Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts? Polly

She put too much milk. Either read the recipe wrong or the measure
wrong. You don't state what it calls for but I'm rather sure she
screwed it up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2012 1:25 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
> chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
> touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I
> wanted her to enjoy success and compliments.
> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
> cake and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot
> out of the oven.
> Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
> vanilla.
> I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
> The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
> It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
> My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups.
> She used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just
> ANY clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her
> brothers who were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but
> she (and I ) are disappointed and puzzled.
> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
> Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts? Polly

Most US confectioner's sugar contains cornstarch - is it possible that
the powdered sugar she bought was _just_ powdered sugar?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
>touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
>her to enjoy success and compliments.
> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet cake
>and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out of the
>oven.

snip

This is a very ordinary frosting recipe. It's probably on the back of
every powdered sugar box. I have never heard that you 'pour' it onto
a 'hot' cake. When I make it, it spreads. Doesn't pouring onto a hot
cake make it soupy? I thought you only did that for something like a
lemon or rum pound cake where you poked holes in a cake and poured a
syrup over the cake.
Does everyone else do this?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" <>
> This is a very ordinary frosting recipe. It's probably on the back of
> every powdered sugar box. I have never heard that you 'pour' it onto
> a 'hot' cake. When I make it, it spreads. Doesn't pouring onto a hot
> cake make it soupy? I thought you only did that for something like a
> lemon or rum pound cake where you poked holes in a cake and poured a
> syrup over the cake.
> Does everyone else do this?
> Janet US

I can nearly pin-point when I learned that you could pour *this* chocolate
frosting on a hot sheet cake; my first copy of the recipe is from 1970. By
reading the suggestions here, I suspect that the person using it wasn't
careful in choosing her ingredients or in measuring them. NOW I know why
some cooks add "no substitutes". Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2012 12:25 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just
> ANY clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her
> brothers who were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but
> she (and I ) are disappointed and puzzled.

She might have misread the recipe and used too much milk. A couple of
years ago, I made Sheldon's chili, and I used 2 tablespoons of black
pepper instead of 2 teaspoons.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 9/4/2012 1:25 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>> chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
>> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
>> touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I
>> wanted her to enjoy success and compliments.
>> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
>> cake and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot
>> out of the oven.
>> Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
>> vanilla.
>> I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
>> The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
>> It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
>> My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups.
>> She used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
>> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just
>> ANY clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her
>> brothers who were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but
>> she (and I ) are disappointed and puzzled.
>> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
>> Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts?
>> Polly
>>

> Most US confectioner's sugar contains cornstarch - is it possible that the
> powdered sugar she bought was _just_ powdered sugar?

That wouldn't matter. The cornstarch is only in there to keep it from
clumping in storage. I have made my own powdered sugar a few times. Either
way the recipe would work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>>chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
>> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
>>touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
>>her to enjoy success and compliments.
>> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
>> cake
>>and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out of
>>the
>>oven.

> snip
>
> This is a very ordinary frosting recipe. It's probably on the back of
> every powdered sugar box. I have never heard that you 'pour' it onto
> a 'hot' cake. When I make it, it spreads. Doesn't pouring onto a hot
> cake make it soupy? I thought you only did that for something like a
> lemon or rum pound cake where you poked holes in a cake and poured a
> syrup over the cake.
> Does everyone else do this?
> Janet US

I only put it on a hot cake if I am in a hurry. Yes, it will get runny
right away which is why you must make it super thick. But then it will
harden as it cools. Best to do this on a one layer cake that is left in the
pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:24:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>>I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>>chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
>> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
>> touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
>> her to enjoy success and compliments.
>> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
>> cake and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out
>> of the oven.
>> Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
>> vanilla.
>> I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
>> The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
>> It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
>> My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups. She
>> used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
>> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just ANY
>> clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her brothers who
>> were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but she (and I )
>> are disappointed and puzzled.
>> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
>> Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts?
>> Polly

>That is the same sort of frosting I have almost always made. I never even
>used a recipe. The only time it didn't come out right for me was when I
>added too much milk. Now mind you this was when I was like 8 years old. I
>learned that I had to add the milk a drop at a time until I got the right
>consistency. And I learned to make it thicker than what I thought it should
>be. Add just enough liquid to get it to where you could spread it.
>
>If it does get too thin, the trick to fixing it is to add more powdered
>sugar. But then that will also change the flavor. So you'll need to add a
>little more vanilla, salt and if you are using it, cocoa. I just did it to
>taste.
>
>Also keep in mind that if you are using a liquid vanilla, you'll not need
>very much milk at all. If you are using a powdered vanilla, you'll need a
>little more. But still, the amount of milk to use is usually just a few
>drops. Maybe at the most a Tablespoon, but it's highly unlikely that you'd
>need that much.

An experienced cook would add liquid incrementally drop by drop until
achieving the desired consistancy... most cookbooks would include a
note to add liquid incrementally to powdered sugar... the same thing
in reverse when thickening a gravy. Experienced bakers never dump all
the liquid (or flour) into the bowl all at one, they begin mixing and
then adjust. Same with salt, you're supposed to add pinch by pinch
while tasting with each addition... experienced cooks never ever add
salt directly from a container, one little brain fart and yer screwed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

>It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook'
> recipe where you bake a sheet cake and
> pour a chocolate frosting on top while
> the cake is still hot out of the oven.

********>Butter, powdered sugar, milk, >cocoa, and bit
of salt and a little vanilla.

I'm not sure what size cake you are talking about, but this is the
chocolate frosting I've been making for more years than I can count, and
it is "cooked" and then put on the cake immediately (while still
pourable) on a hot cake and it firms up in a short time. This is for a
15 x 10 inch (jelly roll size) pan.

Frosting:

1/2 cup butter
4 tbsp. baking cocoa
6 tbsp. milk

Bring this to a boil and remove from heat and add a 1 pound box of
powdered sugar. Beat till smooth and pour over hot cake.
NOTE: It doesn't call for vanilla, but I usually add some anyway to
anything chocolate flavored. A person can use margarine, but I prefer
using butter for all my baking, and I also use evaporated milk for my
baking, unless it specifically calls for another kind, but in this case
I use half evaporated and half water, but for most frostings I use
undiluted evaporated milk, with great results. If the frosting you are
questioning is not cooked, then she could have just kept adding more
powdered sugar (I always use C&H) until the thickness she wishes. I've
never had a failed frosting.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 07:14:24 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 9/4/2012 1:25 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
>> chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
>> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
>> touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I
>> wanted her to enjoy success and compliments.
>> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
>> cake and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot
>> out of the oven.
>> Butter, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and bit of salt and a little
>> vanilla.
>> I've seriously considered every ingredient in the mix.
>> The concoction works with butter - or margarine.
>> It works with 'real' milk or 2% or whatever's in the refrigerator.
>> My box of powdered sugar ( one pound) says it contains 3 3/4 cups.
>> She used a sack (?) that's said to contain 4 cups.
>> Are any of you familiar with this cake frosting and have just
>> ANY clue as to why hers turned to soup? It didn't matter to her
>> brothers who were quite agreeable about using a drinking straw =) but
>> she (and I ) are disappointed and puzzled.
>> Is it possible that a store-brand powdered sugar caused the failure?
>> Would the post-hurricane strange weather be a factor? Any thoughts? Polly
>>

>Most US confectioner's sugar contains cornstarch - is it possible that
>the powdered sugar she bought was _just_ powdered sugar?

Wouldn't make a noticable difference, there is a very small quantity
of cornstarch, just enough to prevent clumping. For those who are
allergic to corn they do sell corn free but it's very easy to make
ones own powdered sugar at home from granulated with a blender... be
sure it's a glass container, sugar will etch plastic... make only one
cup at a time, takes one minute at high. I've made my own powdered
sugar often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>I am so embarrassed and ashamed.

You shouldn't be, you did nothing wrong.

>A friend asked me for my recipe for
>chocolate cake frosting.
>ANY clue as to why hers turned to soup?

Your friend is a kitchen imbecile,
that's not your fault.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 08:21:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
> >I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
> >chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
> > There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
> >touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
> >her to enjoy success and compliments.
> > It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet cake
> >and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out of the
> >oven.

> snip
>
> This is a very ordinary frosting recipe. It's probably on the back of
> every powdered sugar box. I have never heard that you 'pour' it onto
> a 'hot' cake. When I make it, it spreads. Doesn't pouring onto a hot
> cake make it soupy? I thought you only did that for something like a
> lemon or rum pound cake where you poked holes in a cake and poured a
> syrup over the cake.
> Does everyone else do this?

No. Only flavored syrup, as you mentioned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:36:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I only put it on a hot cake if I am in a hurry. Yes, it will get runny
> right away which is why you must make it super thick. But then it will
> harden as it cools. Best to do this on a one layer cake that is left in the
> pan.

That makes sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for
> >>chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.
> >> There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special
> >>touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted
> >>her to enjoy success and compliments.
> >> It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet
> >> cake
> >>and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out of
> >>the
> >>oven.

> > snip
> >
> > This is a very ordinary frosting recipe. It's probably on the back of
> > every powdered sugar box. I have never heard that you 'pour' it onto
> > a 'hot' cake. When I make it, it spreads. Doesn't pouring onto a hot
> > cake make it soupy? I thought you only did that for something like a
> > lemon or rum pound cake where you poked holes in a cake and poured a
> > syrup over the cake.
> > Does everyone else do this?
> > Janet US

> I only put it on a hot cake if I am in a hurry. Yes, it will get runny
> right away which is why you must make it super thick. But then it will
> harden as it cools. Best to do this on a one layer cake that is left in the
> pan.

It seems to me that you always B&M about your family trying to feed you sweets
(cakes), when was the last time you actually made a cake?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 9:26*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>
> > wrote:
> >I am so embarrassed and ashamed.

> You shouldn't be, you did nothing wrong.
>
> >A friend asked me for my recipe for
> >chocolate cake frosting.
> >ANY clue as to why hers turned to soup?

> Your friend is a kitchen imbecile,
> that's not your fault.

and she failed to mention that her friend is 6.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> Most US confectioner's sugar contains cornstarch - is it possible that
> the powdered sugar she bought was _just_ powdered sugar?

Huh! I never knew that....never really cared either but you are correct at
least with what I have. It's Domino Confectioners Sugar.

Funny, on the front it says Pure Cane 10-X powdered sugar but looking at the
ingredients, it says sugar, cornstarch

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:36:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> > I only put it on a hot cake if I am in a hurry. Yes, it will get runny
> > right away which is why you must make it super thick. But then it will
> > harden as it cools. Best to do this on a one layer cake that is left in the
> > pan.

> That makes sense.

What's with all this simple carb talk? I thought it was forbidden here.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> > Most US confectioner's sugar contains cornstarch - is it possible that
> > the powdered sugar she bought was _just_ powdered sugar?

> Funny, on the front it says Pure Cane 10-X powdered sugar but looking at the
> ingredients, it says sugar, cornstarch

Can you figure out why they can get away with the "Pure" label? It's
pretty simple. Keep in mind that Congress is for sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:21:10 AM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:25:26 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A friend asked me for my recipe for

> >chocolate cake frosting. She loves mine. Enjoyed it here many times.

> > There is nothing in my heart that would prompt me to hide special

> >touches or techniques to make her look like an 'also ran' cook. I wanted

> >her to enjoy success and compliments.

> > It's the ordinary 'in every cookbook' recipe where you bake a sheet cake

> >and pour a chocolate frosting on top while the cake is still hot out of the

> >oven.

> snip
>

> This is a very ordinary frosting recipe. It's probably on the back of
>
> every powdered sugar box. I have never heard that you 'pour' it onto
>
> a 'hot' cake. When I make it, it spreads. Doesn't pouring onto a hot
>
> cake make it soupy? I thought you only did that for something like a
>
> lemon or rum pound cake where you poked holes in a cake and poured a
>
> syrup over the cake.
>
> Does everyone else do this?

I bet you've hit on the reason, Janet. She frosted the cake while still warm. An honest mistake for someone who has very little experience baking cakes. With some types of frosting, you should even refrigerate the cake--rather than merely letting it cool to room temp--before frosting. Even if this was a pour on a still warm (not hot) cake, it would not act like what a person ignorant of how to use that technique (like me), and especially not to a person (not like me) who is used to out-of-the-can frosting.

Heck, my wife is really smart. She got great scholarships for grad school, and as a grad student in a previous program, published a paper with her name first, above that of the M.D. and PhD psychologist. She has become a very good baker, but only about 3 years ago started cooking at all, and isn't very good at it, but back when I first met her, she didn't know whether to put the pasta in before or after the water boiled.
Another example: Mr. Kuthe isn't much of a cook, but he's a good baker, and a great confectioner, whereas I wouldn't have a clue as to how to properly temper chocolate.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:58:17 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:36:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> > > wrote:

> > > I only put it on a hot cake if I am in a hurry. Yes, it will get runny

> > > right away which is why you must make it super thick. But then it will

> > > harden as it cools. Best to do this on a one layer cake that is left in the

> > > pan.

> > That makes sense.

> What's with all this simple carb talk? I thought it was forbidden here.

Lots of folks here are carb-conscious, and some of us are very carb-conscious, but you won't find many folks here who are anti sweet treats. This is not a low carb NG, any more than it's a low purine group, even though several regulars have gout, or a gluten-free group because some regulars are sensitive to gluten.

> G.

--Bryan