Old 21-01-2010, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Old 21-01-2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Banned

On Jan 21, 3:24*pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
What's your suggestion? *
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

cream cheese, definitely.....!
Old 21-01-2010, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..

Have you considered a butter cream?

An almond or pistachio paste can be very nice with the banana nut cake,
various fruit sauces and thickened creams? You might even consider a
sabayon or other egg custard to serve with (not necessarily as a
frosting) the cake.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3
Owner|Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeTarot

Old 21-01-2010, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

?There is something else besides cream cheese to use as a frosting, or
part of a frosting, for banana nut????? I can't think of anything
else and would like to learn other suggestions, too! Wouldn't any
frosting used on a carrot cake work just as well? Thing is, I think I'd
prefer a cream cheese frosting for both G! Although, now that I think
about it, isn't strawberry and banana a popular flavor combination? Or,
what about peanut butter??? Oh dear, now there's a thought, eh? G

Sky

P.S. Bananas & PB --- has Elvis left the house??? VBG

hmmmmmm, PB & cream cheese, atop a banana nut cake .... ????

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 21-01-2010, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:24:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

The cream cheese with orange sounds just right. I like a cream
cheese icing with banana bread. The orange and banana will taste
great together.

Tara

Old 22-01-2010, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

I'd go with cream cheese, with perhaps some pecans (halves or chopped)
scattered about.
Goomba
Old 22-01-2010, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
Sky wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

What's your suggestion?

?There is something else besides cream cheese to use as a frosting, or
part of a frosting, for banana nut?????
Sky

P.S. Bananas & PB --- has Elvis left the house??? VBG

How about some coconut on top of plain cream cheese icing? PB doesn't
do it for me; thanks, though.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..

Have you considered a butter cream?

An almond or pistachio paste can be very nice with the banana nut cake,
various fruit sauces and thickened creams? You might even consider a
sabayon or other egg custard to serve with (not necessarily as a
frosting) the cake.

I did think about a buttercream but am still leaning to my abundant
stash of cream cheese. :-) The rest of it is more complicated than
I'm interesting in making. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

sounds good to me....

Old 22-01-2010, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

How about whipped cream? Beat a pint of very cold heavy cream until
it starts to form soft peaks. Add some vanilla and about a cup of
powdered sugar (sifted after measuring) and continue beating for a few
seconds. It will seize up into the nicest light fluffy frosting.

Bob

Old 22-01-2010, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
Sky wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

What's your suggestion?

?There is something else besides cream cheese to use as a frosting, or
part of a frosting, for banana nut?????
Sky

P.S. Bananas & PB --- has Elvis left the house??? VBG

How about some coconut on top of plain cream cheese icing? PB doesn't
do it for me; thanks, though.

OOOOH! I never thought of coconut! What a wonderful idea!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 22-01-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

Lemon is always good in cream cheese frosting and always in the fruit
bowl for me.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:36 AM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

How about whipped cream? Beat a pint of very cold heavy cream until
it starts to form soft peaks. Add some vanilla and about a cup of
powdered sugar (sifted after measuring) and continue beating for a few
seconds. It will seize up into the nicest light fluffy frosting.

Bob

That'd be yummy, but it won't hold. :-( This cake could be around for
a few days unless I either freeze it or offload some. I like the idea,
though. Food for thought. Thanks, Bob.

Old 22-01-2010, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake - my next idea

In article
,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

What's your suggestion?
Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

I was looking at some recipes and ran across one for a browned butter
icing and that sounds really good to me, too!

Dilemma: Too many (IMNSHO) people don't care for coconut, so the
browned butter is tempting, but I've got a bunch of coconut flakes in
the fridgimator that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Decisions,
decisions.

But speaking of coconut, take a look at http://www.zoebakes.com -- ZoŽ's
got a coconut cake featured that is stunningly gorgeous!