Posted to rec.food.baking
QX

Default Performance ratings of Stand Mixers

The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
www.cooksillustrated.com

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"QX" > wrote in message
> The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
> magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
> to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
> a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
> www.cooksillustrated.com

The issue I have with Cook's Illustrated is that their criteria are often
detached from reality. For instance, they picked an $80 All-Clad cake pan as
their best choice over a list of fine pans. Everyone knows that stainless
is a poor heat conductor. They said that cakes stuck to aluminum cake pans,
including the brands that I use. I don't have a problem with cakes sticking
to the pan, and therefore spending $80 on a stainless pan seems ridiculous.
Furthermore, you are way out of luck if you want to make anything but a
small round or square cake because All-Clad has an extremely limited line of
pans.

Posted to rec.food.baking
pennyaline

QX wrote:
> The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
> magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
> to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
> a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
> www.cooksillustrated.com

BTW, membership is required to read articles online.
Posted to rec.food.baking
Del Cecchi

pennyaline wrote:
> QX wrote:
>
>> The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
>> magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
>> to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
>> a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
>> www.cooksillustrated.com
>>

> BTW, membership is required to read articles online.

so go to the library or barnes and noble

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,