FoodBanter.com

-   -   Performance ratings of Stand Mixers (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/73518-performance-ratings-stand-mixers.html)

QX 05-11-2005 02:00 PM

Performance ratings of Stand Mixers

The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
www.cooksillustrated.com

Vox Humana 05-11-2005 09:23 PM

"QX" > wrote in message
> The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
> magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
> to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
> a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
> www.cooksillustrated.com

The issue I have with Cook's Illustrated is that their criteria are often
detached from reality. For instance, they picked an $80 All-Clad cake pan as
their best choice over a list of fine pans. Everyone knows that stainless
is a poor heat conductor. They said that cakes stuck to aluminum cake pans,
including the brands that I use. I don't have a problem with cakes sticking
to the pan, and therefore spending $80 on a stainless pan seems ridiculous.
Furthermore, you are way out of luck if you want to make anything but a
small round or square cake because All-Clad has an extremely limited line of
pans.

pennyaline 05-11-2005 10:45 PM

QX wrote:
> The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
> magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
> to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
> a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
> www.cooksillustrated.com

BTW, membership is required to read articles online.

Del Cecchi 07-11-2005 08:10 PM

pennyaline wrote:
> QX wrote:
>
>> The current issue, Nov/Dec 2005 (issue # 77) of Cook's Illustrated
>> magazine has a great review of stand mixers. It's especially pertinent
>> to bread makers since dough working was one of the tests. It's worth
>> a look if you are in the market for a new or first mixer.
>> www.cooksillustrated.com
>>

> BTW, membership is required to read articles online.

so go to the library or barnes and noble

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,