Xanadu

Default non-stick baking pan

I'm using a non stick pan, but find that after about 20 bakes, it looses its
non-stick abilities and has to be oiled.

I took the first one back, got a replacement, but the same.

Is this normal, or is this particular manufacturer at fault.

Thanks

Vox Humana

"Xanadu" <.> wrote in message ...
> I'm using a non stick pan, but find that after about 20 bakes, it looses

its
> non-stick abilities and has to be oiled.
>
> I took the first one back, got a replacement, but the same.
>
> Is this normal, or is this particular manufacturer at fault.

That's been my experience also. If you are using non-stick sprays like
"Pam" it will make it worse as the spray seems to cause a build-up of
sticky, varnish-like residue.

For normal baking, I like to grease the pan, line the bottom with parchment,
and the lightly flour. An alternative to solid shortening or butter is to
mist with oil. I have a common misting bottle with vegetable oil. It is
handy for all types of cooking needs.

.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, it was written:

> I'm using a non stick pan, but find that after about 20 bakes, it looses its
> non-stick abilities and has to be oiled.
>
> I took the first one back, got a replacement, but the same.
>
> Is this normal, or is this particular manufacturer at fault.

I don't use non-stick baking pans but my wife uses non-stick cookware.
I've noticed that residue starts sticking to it after a while. I've tried
cleaning it in the dishwasher, hand cleaning it with sponges/cotton
rags/etc., they all lose their non-stick abilities.

Note: I don't bake with non-stick bakeware. I find it harder to bake with
them. The edges of things overcook or the centre is undercooked. I
switched to using thick steel pans and line them with parchment. Things
turn out much nicer.

Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> That's been my experience also. If you are using non-stick sprays like
> "Pam" it will make it worse as the spray seems to cause a build-up of
> sticky, varnish-like residue.

Was the OP using Pam? I think most manufacturers of non-stick bakeware
specifically tell you NOT to use that stuff:
<http://www.worldkitchen.com/FAQ/faq3.asp?id=127>

> For normal baking, I like to grease the pan, line the bottom with parchment,
> and the lightly flour. An alternative to solid shortening or butter is to
> mist with oil. I have a common misting bottle with vegetable oil. It is
> handy for all types of cooking needs.

Except when making omelets, I don't like nonstick; Exopat when feasible,
or parchment (flouring if appropriate).

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > That's been my experience also. If you are using non-stick sprays like
> > "Pam" it will make it worse as the spray seems to cause a build-up of
> > sticky, varnish-like residue.

> Was the OP using Pam? I think most manufacturers of non-stick bakeware
> specifically tell you NOT to use that stuff:
> <http://www.worldkitchen.com/FAQ/faq3.asp?id=127>
>

> > For normal baking, I like to grease the pan, line the bottom with

parchment,
> > and the lightly flour. An alternative to solid shortening or butter is

> > mist with oil. I have a common misting bottle with vegetable oil. It

is
> > handy for all types of cooking needs.

> Except when making omelets, I don't like nonstick; Exopat when feasible,
> or parchment (flouring if appropriate).

Same here. I have two non-stick omelet pans and seldom use them as my SS
pans with a little butter works as well. I have Exopat, but prefer
parchment for most situations.