Old 09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Jennifer

Default French Buttercream Recipe Help!!!

Thanks!

"Charles Baker" wrote in message
news
FRENCH BUTTER CREAM

4 Eggs or 225ml whites
200 g Sugar
200g Shortening
300g Unsalted Butter

1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Remove from mixer and
reserve.
2. Cream the butter until smooth with no lumps remaining. Add the
shortening and continue to cream until light and creamy.
3. With the mixer still running, add the eggs and sugar mixture a little
at
a time. Add it just as fast as it can be absorbed by the fat. (you may

not
need it all).
4. Beat in flavouring (if any). If the icing is too soft, refrigerate it
until it is firm enough to spread.

Hints:
Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often during mixing for a more
complete distribution of all ingredients.

Personally, I prefer to use rolled fondant, but it is a whole other look,
and can be a royal pain. Little room for error, and if your cake is not
white, then you will need to make a buttercream to mask your cake in any
event.

"Puester" wrote in message
Jennifer wrote:

This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

the
house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But,

like
said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish.

Any
suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

they
wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

also...but
I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

count
on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or

some
wonderful advice!

Jenn. W.

Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?

gloria p

Old 15-03-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Jennifer wrote:
Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids, etc...

Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has gotten
me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want
any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...

1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract

Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil until
sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully pour
hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip.
Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it can
be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.

This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use, also...but
I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always count
on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
wonderful advice!

Jenn. W.

Jennifer,
I didn't have time to read through all the other responses.. but I was
wondering if you had tried Wilton's White White Icing Color... It's
worked for me in the past...

James
Old 15-03-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Jennifer wrote:
[...]

But, like I said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out
yellowish. Any suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great
French buttercream they wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular
buttercream that I use, also...but I really like the French) Thanks
for any help. I know I can always count on someone here for a great
alternative to what I've been using, or some wonderful advice!

Jenn. W.

Jennifer,
I didn't have time to read through all the other responses.. but I
was wondering if you had tried Wilton's White White Icing Color... It's
worked for me in the past... Here is a link to the product on their
website:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...338024A0B6A5A5

James
Old 25-03-2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"James Dominguez" wrote in message
Jennifer wrote:
[...]

Have you thought about using just egg whites, perhaps the yolks are adding
too much color.

However some may call this Italian Buttercrem

Chef Blair

Old 25-03-2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"Blair Gibbs" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"James Dominguez" wrote in message
Jennifer wrote:

snip

Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my

My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
tinge to it, and I really need it to be white.

snip

Something else you could use is uncolored butter. Butter is naturally
whitish in color. They just add color because consumers think it looks
better. Restaraunt supply wharehouses should carry it.

Gordon in SW Indiana.