Jennifer

Default French Buttercream Recipe Help!!!

Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids, etc...

Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has gotten
me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want
any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...

1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract

Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil until
sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully pour
hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip.
Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it can
be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.

This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use, also...but
I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always count
on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
wonderful advice!

Jenn. W.

Vox Humana

"Jennifer" <wannabeachef @ comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids, etc...
>
> Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
> birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has gotten
> me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
> tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
> buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want
> any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
>
> 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
> 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
> 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
> 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
> 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract

As they say, 'It ain't gona happen." You can't use yellow ingredients and
produce a pure white product. If it didn't have 12 egg yolks, I would
suggest using clear vanilla (which I think is really artificial vanilla
flavoring) and to look at several brands of butter, choosing the least
yellow. (Don't even think about using the white food coloring sold by
Wilton. It won't masque the yellow color but it will lend an off taste and
thin the buttercream.) But I think the 12 yolks will negate the other
suggestions. I would suggest that you use the buttercream as a filling
between layers and use something else on the exterior of the cake. In my
opinion, nothing beats rolled fondant when you want a pure white cake with a
classy appearance. If the bride won't accept the fact that you can't
produce a pure white buttercream out of yellow egg yolk, I would run, not
walk, away from the job. Hopefully the groom will pick up on the warning as
well!

Peggy

"Jennifer" <wannabeachef @ comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids, etc...
>
> Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
> birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has gotten
> me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
> tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
> buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want
> any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
>
> 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
> 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
> 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
> 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
> 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
>
> Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil

until
> sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
> Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully

pour
> hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip.
> Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
> Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it

can
> be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.
>
> This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
> house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
> said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
> wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

also...but
> I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

count
> on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> wonderful advice!
>
> Jenn. W.

Could you use egg whites in place of the yolks? You could make white butter
out of cream. And like Vox said, clear vanilla.
~Peggy

qahtan

Like Peggy say's you could change the yolks to whites, and make Italian
buttercream, off hand I don't have the recipe but it is very similar, hot
syrup, cool, add butter, I have used it a lot, but you will still get a
very pale cream colour from the butter. qahtan

"Peggy" > wrote in message

> "Jennifer" <wannabeachef @ comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids,

etc...

> > Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
> > birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has

gotten
> > me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a

yellow
> > tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
> > buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't

want
> > any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
> >
> > 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
> > 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
> > 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
> > 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
> > 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
> >
> > Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil

> until
> > sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
> > Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully

> pour
> > hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip.
> > Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
> > Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it

> can
> > be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.
> >
> > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

the
> > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like

> > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

they
> > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

> also...but
> > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

> count
> > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> > wonderful advice!
> >
> > Jenn. W.
> >

> Could you use egg whites in place of the yolks? You could make white

butter
> out of cream. And like Vox said, clear vanilla.
> ~Peggy

Vox Humana

"qahtan" > wrote in message
. ..
> Like Peggy say's you could change the yolks to whites, and make Italian
> buttercream, off hand I don't have the recipe but it is very similar, hot
> syrup, cool, add butter, I have used it a lot, but you will still get a
> very pale cream colour from the butter. qahtan

I think the texture of the two products is quite different. It's not like
you would be exchanging the egg white for the yolks and using the same
recipe. You are simply making a different type of frosting. I like both.
And as you say, the buttercream made by beating butter into Italian meringue
will not be pure white.

qahtan

True, though myself I like the tradiditional wedding cake, with the rolled
icing rather than the the royal , when I was married it was all royal icing.
One doesn't even have to make the rolled icing any more just buy it and
roll it, can be tricky to apply though. or so I found.
qahtan.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
.. .

> "qahtan" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Like Peggy say's you could change the yolks to whites, and make Italian
> > buttercream, off hand I don't have the recipe but it is very similar,

hot
> > syrup, cool, add butter, I have used it a lot, but you will still get a
> > very pale cream colour from the butter. qahtan
> >

> I think the texture of the two products is quite different. It's not like
> you would be exchanging the egg white for the yolks and using the same
> recipe. You are simply making a different type of frosting. I like both.
> And as you say, the buttercream made by beating butter into Italian

meringue
> will not be pure white.

Vox Humana

"qahtan" > wrote in message
. ..
> True, though myself I like the tradiditional wedding cake, with the

rolled
> icing rather than the the royal , when I was married it was all royal

icing.
> One doesn't even have to make the rolled icing any more just buy it and
> roll it, can be tricky to apply though. or so I found.
> qahtan.

I make my own rolled fondant. It is pretty easy as long as you want white.
I really envy bakeries that have sheeters to quickly roll the fondant into
uniform sheets. I can be tricky to apply to large cakes. I find it much
easier and quicker on small cakes as compared to buttercream. Rolled
fondant is so elegant that it looks best, in my opinion, with a minimum of
adornment.

qahtan

Yes I make my own rolled fondant, but I know others who have bought it
already made. I use and Australian recipe that calls for glucose and
gelatine, bit of a job to knead the last of the sugar in , but sooooooooooo
smooth when done, the end product is great, I have also used it to make
flowers. qahtan

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "qahtan" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > True, though myself I like the tradiditional wedding cake, with the

> rolled
> > icing rather than the the royal , when I was married it was all royal

> icing.
> > One doesn't even have to make the rolled icing any more just buy it and
> > roll it, can be tricky to apply though. or so I found.
> > qahtan.
> >

> I make my own rolled fondant. It is pretty easy as long as you want

white.
> I really envy bakeries that have sheeters to quickly roll the fondant into
> uniform sheets. I can be tricky to apply to large cakes. I find it much
> easier and quicker on small cakes as compared to buttercream. Rolled
> fondant is so elegant that it looks best, in my opinion, with a minimum of
> adornment.

Vox Humana

"qahtan" > wrote in message
. ..
> Yes I make my own rolled fondant, but I know others who have bought it
> already made. I use and Australian recipe that calls for glucose and
> gelatine, bit of a job to knead the last of the sugar in , but

sooooooooooo
> smooth when done, the end product is great, I have also used it to make
> flowers. qahtan

I use the recipe in the Cake Bible. It calls for glucose, but there is
formula given for the substitution of corn syrup for the glucose. It is a
bit of a job but much less expensive than the tiny boxes of ready-made.
Someone here claimed that the commercially produced stuff was better for
making shapes. I use gum paste for things like flowers, so can't comment on
that aspect. I think the boxed fondant has an off taste.

Darrell Grainger

Default Rolled fondant (was French Buttercream Recipe Help!!!)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Vox Humana wrote:

> I make my own rolled fondant. It is pretty easy as long as you want white.
> I really envy bakeries that have sheeters to quickly roll the fondant into
> uniform sheets. I can be tricky to apply to large cakes. I find it much
> easier and quicker on small cakes as compared to buttercream. Rolled
> fondant is so elegant that it looks best, in my opinion, with a minimum of
> adornment.

A trick I use to get uniform thickness is to get metal rods from the
hardware store. I get rods the depth of my counter. Two rods of each
thickness (1/8", 1/4", 1/2", etc.) then use a nice heavy marble rolling
pin.

You can use wooden dowels instead of metal but over time the wood will get
a little dented and crushed. I use the wooden dowels with my wood rolling
pin.

Don't send e-mail to

qahtan

I was in minds about getting the Cake Bible , then some one said it wasn't
all that wonderful. If you are into making rolled fondant etc then you are
obviously interested in cakes period, what do you think of it.
I did get The Village Bakers Wife a few weeks back, totally disappointed in
it.
Are you a baker or is it just a hobby.
just me being nosy. qahtan

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "qahtan" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Yes I make my own rolled fondant, but I know others who have bought it
> > already made. I use and Australian recipe that calls for glucose and
> > gelatine, bit of a job to knead the last of the sugar in , but

> sooooooooooo
> > smooth when done, the end product is great, I have also used it to make
> > flowers. qahtan

> I use the recipe in the Cake Bible. It calls for glucose, but there is
> formula given for the substitution of corn syrup for the glucose. It is a
> bit of a job but much less expensive than the tiny boxes of ready-made.
> Someone here claimed that the commercially produced stuff was better for
> making shapes. I use gum paste for things like flowers, so can't comment

on
> that aspect. I think the boxed fondant has an off taste.

Jennifer

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Jennifer" <wannabeachef @ comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids,

etc...

> > Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
> > birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has

gotten
> > me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a

yellow
> > tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
> > buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't

want
> > any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
> >
> > 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
> > 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
> > 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
> > 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
> > 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
> >

> As they say, 'It ain't gona happen." You can't use yellow ingredients and
> produce a pure white product. If it didn't have 12 egg yolks, I would
> suggest using clear vanilla (which I think is really artificial vanilla
> flavoring) and to look at several brands of butter, choosing the least
> yellow. (Don't even think about using the white food coloring sold by
> Wilton. It won't masque the yellow color but it will lend an off taste

and
> thin the buttercream.) But I think the 12 yolks will negate the other
> suggestions. I would suggest that you use the buttercream as a filling
> between layers and use something else on the exterior of the cake. In my
> opinion, nothing beats rolled fondant when you want a pure white cake with

> classy appearance. If the bride won't accept the fact that you can't
> produce a pure white buttercream out of yellow egg yolk, I would run, not
> walk, away from the job. Hopefully the groom will pick up on the warning

as
> well!

Nobody ever said anything about "having" to have the white frosting, I just
really wanted to try to get it white. (although I do have a cake to do in
October where the bride's mother is worried about the frosting not being
absolutely bright white, and she absolutely LOVES the flavor of my french
buttercream). This cake is for a teacher who my daughter and son both had
in her first two years of teaching, and I really like her, and I just really
wanted to make her cake something she'd really love. I have a lot of my own
say in what goes on with the cake, so it's not that big of a deal. I've
done a lot of fondant, but never really found a recipe with a flavor that I
liked. They always tasted icky to me. The cake she chose for me to make is
actually a fondant cake, but we decided to do it in buttercream instead. If
I can get a really good fondant recipe, I'll talk to her about that,
instead.
Thanks!

Vox Humana

"qahtan" > wrote in message
> I was in minds about getting the Cake Bible , then some one said it wasn't
> all that wonderful. If you are into making rolled fondant etc then you are
> obviously interested in cakes period, what do you think of it.
> I did get The Village Bakers Wife a few weeks back, totally disappointed

in
> it.
> Are you a baker or is it just a hobby.
> just me being nosy. qahtan

I am just a home baker. I make the occasional cake by request, but I try not
to get involved with things like weddings as it is too much bother unless
you do it on a regular basis.

The Cake Bible is a good read for the basic information. It has some nice
tables for scaling cakes for various sized pans. There are some good basic
recipes. Much of the book is devoted to elaborate showcase cakes that one
might make for a very special occasion. I would recommend that you go to a
bookstore and browse through the book before buying it. I think your
appreciaiton of the book depends primarily on your approach to baking.

Jennifer

"qahtan" > wrote in message
. ..
> Like Peggy say's you could change the yolks to whites, and make Italian
> buttercream, off hand I don't have the recipe but it is very similar, hot
> syrup, cool, add butter, I have used it a lot, but you will still get a
> very pale cream colour from the butter. qahtan

I'll make a small batch and give it a try. I have some bachelor's living
across the street, along with some teenage boys at home, so extra cake never
goes to waste around here anyway! I could always also use white margarine
and butter extract/flavoring, maybe...

> "Peggy" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jennifer" <wannabeachef @ comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids,

> etc...
> > >
> > > Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
> > > birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has

> gotten
> > > me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a

> yellow
> > > tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really

creamy,
> > > buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't

> want
> > > any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
> > >
> > > 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
> > > 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
> > > 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
> > > 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
> > > 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
> > >
> > > Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil

> > until
> > > sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
> > > Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer,

carefully
> > pour
> > > hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and

whip.
> > > Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
> > > Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as

it
> > can
> > > be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.
> > >
> > > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

> the
> > > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But,

like
> > > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish.

Any
> > > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

> they
> > > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

> > also...but
> > > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

> > count
> > > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or

some
> > > wonderful advice!
> > >
> > > Jenn. W.
> > >

> > Could you use egg whites in place of the yolks? You could make white

> butter
> > out of cream. And like Vox said, clear vanilla.
> > ~Peggy

Jennifer

Thanks, everyone, for all your help and advice! I have the cake bible, I'll
try out that recipe. I have a few other fondant recipes also, from Pastry
and Wedding Cake class. I'll make a few small batches and see how they turn
out and hopefully I'll find one that I like the taste of. I wish I had
purchased the sheeter from the bakery I used to work at...an old tabletop
sheeter, one setting slipped, but I still could've worked with it! Oh well.
Thanks again! I appreciate everyone's input!

Jenn. W.

"Darrell Grainger" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > I make my own rolled fondant. It is pretty easy as long as you want

white.
> > I really envy bakeries that have sheeters to quickly roll the fondant

into
> > uniform sheets. I can be tricky to apply to large cakes. I find it

much
> > easier and quicker on small cakes as compared to buttercream. Rolled
> > fondant is so elegant that it looks best, in my opinion, with a minimum

of
> > adornment.

> A trick I use to get uniform thickness is to get metal rods from the
> hardware store. I get rods the depth of my counter. Two rods of each
> thickness (1/8", 1/4", 1/2", etc.) then use a nice heavy marble rolling
> pin.
>
> You can use wooden dowels instead of metal but over time the wood will get
> a little dented and crushed. I use the wooden dowels with my wood rolling
> pin.
>
> --
> Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu
> Don't send e-mail to

Vox Humana

> [...]

> October where the bride's mother is worried about the frosting not being
> absolutely bright white, and she absolutely LOVES the flavor of my french
> buttercream). This cake is for a teacher who my daughter and son both had
> in her first two years of teaching, and I really like her, and I just

really
> wanted to make her cake something she'd really love. I have a lot of my

own
> say in what goes on with the cake, so it's not that big of a deal. I've
> done a lot of fondant, but never really found a recipe with a flavor that

> liked. They always tasted icky to me. The cake she chose for me to make

is
> actually a fondant cake, but we decided to do it in buttercream instead.

If
> I can get a really good fondant recipe, I'll talk to her about that,

I wouldn't expect rolled fondant to taste luscious. Most people just peel
it off and eat the cake. In fact, most people are so horrified about fat
and carbs that they scrape away any type of frosting. As for the use of the
word "having," it isn't one that I used.

qahtan

Jennifer, A cake or any thing for that matter is only as good as what goes
in it.
To me margarine, is a definite no no.
And as for making white butter out of cream, during the process of making
cream into butter it naturally goes yellow, it's in the richness of the
cream not an added colour. qahtan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Could you use egg whites in place of the yolks? You could make white
butter
out of cream. And like Vox said, clear vanilla.
~Peggy

qahtan

Exactly, I went to cake decorating classes for a while, and it was mainly
the so called butter cream, really it was Fluffo, looked nice but the taste,
yuck.
But then some people really don't know the difference, if it looks good they
think it must taste good, huuuuuh. qahtan

<Alan > wrote in message
> Well, ya know, eggs and butter ARE yellow.
>
> If someone wants the real thing -- and loves the taste -- then she
> should understand that it won't be white.
>
> If you want to make it with Crisco instead of butter, and no eggs, she
> might like the way it looks, but maybe not the way it tastes!

Puester

Jennifer wrote:

> This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
> house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
> said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
> wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use, also...but
> I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always count
> on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> wonderful advice!
>
> Jenn. W.

Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?

gloria p
Puester

Jennifer wrote:

> This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
> house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
> said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
> wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use, also...but
> I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always count
> on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> wonderful advice!
>
> Jenn. W.

Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?

gloria p

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:51:45 GMT
Puester > wrote:

> Jennifer wrote:
> >

> > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone
> > in the house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something!
> > But, like I
> > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish.
> > Any suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French
> > buttercream they wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular
> > buttercream that I use, also...but I really like the French)
> > Thanks for any help. I know I can always count on someone here for
> > a great alternative to what I've been using, or some wonderful
> > advice!
> >
> > Jenn. W.

> Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?

Be easier to airbrush it in white.

Better yet, take the bride aside, and say, "Really now, you, and
white, at this wedding? I've been to parties with you . . . "

Jennifer

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:51:45 GMT
> Puester > wrote:
>
> > Jennifer wrote:
> > >

> > > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone
> > > in the house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something!
> > > But, like I
> > > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish.
> > > Any suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French
> > > buttercream they wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular
> > > buttercream that I use, also...but I really like the French)
> > > Thanks for any help. I know I can always count on someone here for
> > > a great alternative to what I've been using, or some wonderful
> > > advice!
> > >
> > > Jenn. W.

> > Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> > very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?

> Be easier to airbrush it in white.
>
> Better yet, take the bride aside, and say, "Really now, you, and
> white, at this wedding? I've been to parties with you . . . "

Lol! Cute!

Thanks to both...both are good ideas. I just have to get an airbrush
thingie!!!

Jenn. W.

Dave Bell

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Puester wrote:

> Jennifer wrote:
> >

> > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
> > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
> > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
> > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use, also...but
> > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always count
> > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> > wonderful advice!
> >
> > Jenn. W.

> Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?
>
> gloria p

I was going to go out on a limb and ask about tinting with a tiny amount
of blue food coloring, but I like Gloria's suggestion better!

Dave
Vogel Sher

Okay, Jennifer - I attempted your recipe and I ended up with soup! Seriously -
it looks like cake batter... Maybe it's just because I'm a novice at any type
of frosting (I'm more of a cookie-girl!! haha) So any hints/tips!??!?

Thanks!

sherry
Jennifer

That happened to me once, when I tried to cut it by a fourth. Normally,
though, I don't have a problem. I guess I couldn't tell you much more
without knowing exactly what you did. I generally make a huge batch,
also... did you attempt to cut it down? Or, did you try putting it in the
fridge for a while, then whipping it again when it was cold?

"Vogel Sher" > wrote in message
> Okay, Jennifer - I attempted your recipe and I ended up with soup!

Seriously -
> it looks like cake batter... Maybe it's just because I'm a novice at any

type
> of frosting (I'm more of a cookie-girl!! haha) So any hints/tips!??!?
>
> Thanks!
>
> sherry

Vogel Sher

HI!
I tried cuttting it in half... Does that not work with this recipe?
I tried putting it in the fridge overnight - it's still pretty runny (although
it TASTES wonderful! LOL )
Françoise

Can you share your recipe? Is it an impolite request?

Françoise.

Vox Humana wrote:

> I make my own rolled fondant. It is pretty easy as long as you want white.
> I really envy bakeries that have sheeters to quickly roll the fondant into
> uniform sheets. I can be tricky to apply to large cakes. I find it much
> easier and quicker on small cakes as compared to buttercream. Rolled
> fondant is so elegant that it looks best, in my opinion, with a minimum of
> adornment.

Charles Baker

FRENCH BUTTER CREAM

4 Eggs or 225ml whites
200 g Sugar
200g Shortening
300g Unsalted Butter

1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Remove from mixer and
reserve.
2. Cream the butter until smooth with no lumps remaining. Add the
shortening and continue to cream until light and creamy.
3. With the mixer still running, add the eggs and sugar mixture a little at
a time. Add it just as fast as it can be absorbed by the fat. (you may not
need it all).
4. Beat in flavouring (if any). If the icing is too soft, refrigerate it
until it is firm enough to spread.

Hints:
Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often during mixing for a more
complete distribution of all ingredients.

Personally, I prefer to use rolled fondant, but it is a whole other look,
and can be a royal pain. Little room for error, and if your cake is not
white, then you will need to make a buttercream to mask your cake in any
event.

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Jennifer wrote:
> >

> > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

the
> > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like

> > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

they
> > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

also...but
> > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

count
> > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> > wonderful advice!
> >
> > Jenn. W.

> Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?
>
> gloria p

Charles Baker

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Jennifer wrote:
> >

> > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

the
> > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like

> > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

they
> > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

also...but
> > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

count
> > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> > wonderful advice!
> >
> > Jenn. W.

> Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?
>
> gloria p

Jennifer

Thanks!

"Charles Baker" > wrote in message
news
> FRENCH BUTTER CREAM
>
> 4 Eggs or 225ml whites
> 200 g Sugar
> 200g Shortening
> 300g Unsalted Butter
>
> 1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Remove from mixer and
> reserve.
> 2. Cream the butter until smooth with no lumps remaining. Add the
> shortening and continue to cream until light and creamy.
> 3. With the mixer still running, add the eggs and sugar mixture a little
at
> a time. Add it just as fast as it can be absorbed by the fat. (you may

not
> need it all).
> 4. Beat in flavouring (if any). If the icing is too soft, refrigerate it
> until it is firm enough to spread.
>
> Hints:
> Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often during mixing for a more
> complete distribution of all ingredients.
>
> Personally, I prefer to use rolled fondant, but it is a whole other look,
> and can be a royal pain. Little room for error, and if your cake is not
> white, then you will need to make a buttercream to mask your cake in any
> event.
>
> "Puester" > wrote in message
> > Jennifer wrote:
> > >

> > > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

> the
> > > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But,

like
> > > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish.

Any
> > > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

> they
> > > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

> also...but
> > > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

> count
> > > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or

some
> > > wonderful advice!
> > >
> > > Jenn. W.

> > Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> > very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?
> >
> > gloria p

Jennifer

Thanks!

"Charles Baker" > wrote in message
news
> FRENCH BUTTER CREAM
>
> 4 Eggs or 225ml whites
> 200 g Sugar
> 200g Shortening
> 300g Unsalted Butter
>
> 1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Remove from mixer and
> reserve.
> 2. Cream the butter until smooth with no lumps remaining. Add the
> shortening and continue to cream until light and creamy.
> 3. With the mixer still running, add the eggs and sugar mixture a little
at
> a time. Add it just as fast as it can be absorbed by the fat. (you may

not
> need it all).
> 4. Beat in flavouring (if any). If the icing is too soft, refrigerate it
> until it is firm enough to spread.
>
> Hints:
> Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often during mixing for a more
> complete distribution of all ingredients.
>
> Personally, I prefer to use rolled fondant, but it is a whole other look,
> and can be a royal pain. Little room for error, and if your cake is not
> white, then you will need to make a buttercream to mask your cake in any
> event.
>
> "Puester" > wrote in message
> > Jennifer wrote:
> > >

> > > This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in

> the
> > > house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But,

like
> > > said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish.

Any
> > > suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream

> they
> > > wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,

> also...but
> > > I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always

> count
> > > on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or

some
> > > wonderful advice!
> > >
> > > Jenn. W.

> > Couldn't you ice the cake with the buttercream, then add a
> > very thin layer of a very white icing to mask the color?
> >
> > gloria p

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jennifer wrote:
> Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids, etc...
>
> Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
> birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has gotten
> me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
> tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
> buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want
> any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
>
> 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
> 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
> 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
> 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
> 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
>
> Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil until
> sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
> Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully pour
> hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip.
> Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
> Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it can
> be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.
>
> This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
> house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like I
> said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
> suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
> wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use, also...but
> I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always count
> on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
> wonderful advice!
>
> Jenn. W.

Jennifer,
I didn't have time to read through all the other responses.. but I was
wondering if you had tried Wilton's White White Icing Color... It's
worked for me in the past...

James
Posted to rec.food.baking

Jennifer wrote:
> Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids,
> etc...
>
> Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for
> my birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it
> has gotten me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the
> buttercream has a yellow tinge to it, and I really need it to be
> white. This is a really creamy, buttery tasting icing. I need to
> keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want any other flavoring added.
> Here's the basic recipe...
>
> 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar 1/2 cup (120 ml) water 12 egg yolks (1
> cup/240 ml) 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp 2 tsp (10 ml)
> vanilla extract
>
> Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and
> boil until sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C). Whip egg yolds until
> light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully pour hot syrup
> into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip. Whip
> at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture. Turn to low
> speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it can be
> absorbed. Mix in vanilla.
>
> This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in
> the house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something!
> But, like I said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out
> yellowish. Any suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great
> French buttercream they wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular
> buttercream that I use, also...but I really like the French) Thanks
> for any help. I know I can always count on someone here for a great
> alternative to what I've been using, or some wonderful advice!
>
> Jenn. W.

Jennifer,
I didn't have time to read through all the other responses.. but I
was wondering if you had tried Wilton's White White Icing Color... It's
worked for me in the past... Here is a link to the product on their
website:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...338024A0B6A5A5

James
Posted to rec.food.baking

"James Dominguez" > wrote in message
> Jennifer wrote:
>> Hi! Haven't been here in ages...computer problems, vacation, kids,
>> etc...
>>
>> Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my
>> birthday and whatever cakes and everyone loves it. In fact, it has
>> gotten
>> me some wedding cake orders! My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
>> tinge to it, and I really need it to be white. This is a really creamy,
>> buttery tasting icing. I need to keep the flavor, the bride doesn't want
>> any other flavoring added. Here's the basic recipe...
>>
>> 1 lb 8 oz (680 g) sugar
>> 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
>> 12 egg yolks (1 cup/240 ml)
>> 2 lbs (910 g) unsalted butter, room temp
>> 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
>>
>> Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat and boil
>> until
>> sugar syrup reaches 240* F (115* C).
>> Whip egg yolds until light and fluffy. Lower speed on mixer, carefully
>> pour
>> hot syrup into egg yolks in steady stream between side of bowl and whip.
>> Whip at high speed until mixture is cool and light in texture.
>> Turn to low speed and gradually add the soft butter, only as fast as it
>> can
>> be absorbed. Mix in vanilla.
>>
>> This is one of those recipes that you can't leave alone...everyone in the
>> house is always at it with a spoon like pudding or something! But, like
>> said, because of the egg yolks and butter, it comes out yellowish. Any
>> suggestions? Or, does anyone have a really great French buttercream they
>> wouldn't mind sharing? (I have a regular buttercream that I use,
>> also...but
>> I really like the French) Thanks for any help. I know I can always
>> count
>> on someone here for a great alternative to what I've been using, or some
>> wonderful advice!
>>
>> Jenn. W.
>>

> Jennifer,
> I didn't have time to read through all the other responses.. but I was
> wondering if you had tried Wilton's White White Icing Color... It's worked
> for me in the past...
>

> James

Have you thought about using just egg whites, perhaps the yolks are adding
too much color.

However some may call this Italian Buttercrem

Chef Blair

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Blair Gibbs" > wrote in message

> "James Dominguez" > wrote in message
> > Jennifer wrote:

<snip>

> >> Anyway, got this awesome French buttercream recipe I always use for my

My problem is, the buttercream has a yellow
> >> tinge to it, and I really need it to be white.

<snip>

Something else you could use is uncolored butter. Butter is naturally
whitish in color. They just add color because consumers think it looks
better. Restaraunt supply wharehouses should carry it.

Gordon in SW Indiana.