shipwreck

Default Wet apple pie...need help

Made an caramel apple pie yesterday, following a recipe from FoodTV on
Tylers Ultimate program.

The main problem was so much juice at the bottom. I mean a flood. I
used Granny Smiths (4) and Breaburn (4). Last time I used Gala instead
of the Breaburn and had less liquid, but still had a good about.

How do I reduce this liquid content?

Also, how thin is pie crust supposed to be? I followed Vox's
(Julia's) recipe for pie crust and had to make it pretty thing to
cover my 9" pie plate.

Thanks,

Gary
Vox Humana

"shipwreck" > wrote in message
> Made an caramel apple pie yesterday, following a recipe from FoodTV on
> Tylers Ultimate program.
>
> The main problem was so much juice at the bottom. I mean a flood. I
> used Granny Smiths (4) and Breaburn (4). Last time I used Gala instead
> of the Breaburn and had less liquid, but still had a good about.
>
> How do I reduce this liquid content?
>
> Also, how thin is pie crust supposed to be? I followed Vox's
> (Julia's) recipe for pie crust and had to make it pretty thing to
> cover my 9" pie plate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

The crust -- It will be thin. When I make apple pie I pile the apples
really high. I can almost see the apples through the pastry. I think that
most people don't like a lot of crust anyway. It really ****es me off when
I see people discarding the crimped edge. It would be easier to make them a
bowl of pudding or some cooked fruit rather than a pie if they don't like
crust.

The juice problem. I have pasted the recipe below so others can give their
opinions.

There are four ways that I know of to deal with excess juice. You can add
more starch, line the pastry with crumbs to absorbed the liquid, bleed the
liquid off before cooking, or cook the filling first and simmer off the
liquid before assembling the pie. You might start by increasing the flour
to three tablespoons or change to another starch like tapioca that won't
leave a pasty taste like a lot of flour might. You could take some of the
sugar from the sauce (say 1/3 cup) and toss the apple slices in it. Put the
apples in a colander over a bowl and let them bleed for a couple of hours.
Collect the liquid and add it to the sauce, reducing it to the proper
thickness. That will return the sugar and the flavor from the apples while
removing some of the water. I don't think you could cook this filling ahead
of time, so the last option probably won't apply. You could also add some
bread, cake, or cookie crumbs to the pie before layering on the apples.

When I make apple pie, I like to use 3/4 granny smith apples and 1/4 golden
delicious. The GSs are firm and tart and the GD are sweet and cook down to
a sauce that fills in between the GS slices.

I'm not surprised that the recipe doesn't work. I think they reverse
engineer the show to send Tyler's ass all over the globe and then justify
the showmanship with a recipe. It's the Cook's Illustrated/America's Test
Kitchen approach to cooking.

--------
3 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks
2 eggs separated, (yolks for the pastry, whites for the glaze)
3 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
Caramel Apples:
1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for the top
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 lemon, halved
8 apples (recommended: Granny Smith and Gala)
1 tablespoon flour
1 cinnamon stick, freshly grated
1/4 cup unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the pastry, combine the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Cut
in the chunks of cold butter with a pastry blender, a little at a time,
until the dough resembles cornmeal. Add the 2 egg yolks and the ice water,
and blend for a second just to pull the dough together and moisten. Be
careful not to overwork the dough. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it
tightly in plastic wrap, and let it rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.

To make the caramel sauce: place the sugar and water in a small pot and
cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the sugar has melted
and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the burner and add
the cream and wine slowly. It may bubble and spit, so be careful. When the
sauce has calmed down, return it to the flame, add the vanilla bean and heat
it slowly, until the wine and caramel are smooth and continue to slowly cook
until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and cool until thickened.

Fill a large bowl with cold water and squeeze in the lemon juice. Peel the
apples with a paring knife, cut them in half, and remove the core with a
melon baller. Put the apple halves in the lemon-water (this will keep them
from going brown). Toss the apples with the flour and cinnamon.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator, unwrap the plastic, and cut the ball
in half. Rewrap and return 1 of the balls to the refrigerator, until ready
for the top crust. Let the dough rest on the counter for 15 minutes so it
will be pliable enough to roll out. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough
on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Carefully roll the dough
up onto the pin and lay it inside a 10-inch glass pie pan. Press the dough
into the pan so it fits tightly.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Slice a couple of the apples at a time using a mandolin or a very sharp
knife. The apples need to be thinly sliced so that as the pie bakes, they
collapse on top of each other with no air pockets. This makes a dense, meaty
apple pie. Cover the bottom of the pastry with a layer of apples, shingling
the slices so there are no gaps. Ladle about 2 ounces of the cooled red wine
caramel sauce evenly over the apple slices. Repeat the layers, until the pie
is slightly overfilled and domed on the top; the apples will shrink down as
the pie cooks. Top the apples with pieces of the butter.

Now, roll out the other ball of dough just as you did the first. Brush the
bottom lip of the pie pastry with a little beaten egg white to form a seal.
Place the pastry circle on top of the pie, and using some kitchen scissors,
trim off the overhanging excess from around the pie. Crimp the edges of
dough together with your fingers to make a tight seal. Cut slits in the top
of the pie so steam can escape while baking. Place the pie on a sheet tray
and tent it with a piece of aluminum foil, so the crust does not cook faster
than the apples.

Bake the caramel apple pie for 25 minutes on the middle rack. In a small
bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar with the freshly grated
cinnamon. Remove the foil from the pie and brush the top with the remaining
egg white. Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar and return to the oven.
Continue to bake for another 25 minutes, until the pie is golden and
bubbling. Let the apple pie rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour to
allow the fruit pectin to gel and set; otherwise the pie will fall apart
when you cut into it.

Tanya Quinn

shipwreck > wrote in message >. ..
> Made an caramel apple pie yesterday, following a recipe from FoodTV on
> Tylers Ultimate program.
>
> The main problem was so much juice at the bottom. I mean a flood. I
> used Granny Smiths (4) and Breaburn (4). Last time I used Gala instead
> of the Breaburn and had less liquid, but still had a good about.
>
> How do I reduce this liquid content?
>
> Also, how thin is pie crust supposed to be? I followed Vox's
> (Julia's) recipe for pie crust and had to make it pretty thing to
> cover my 9" pie plate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Hi Gary,
I saw parts of this episode and was also interested in making this
pie. I'm a pie novice so I can't help you out with how to modify the
recipe. Disappointed to hear that it did not work out so well. Did it
taste good though other than being liquidy?

My question is this - what kind of wine would you use in this recipe?
Port?Sweet red wine? Then again there is already quite a bit of sugar
in the recipe so I was not sure what would work well. What did you
use?

Thanks
Tanya
shipwreck

Tanya,

Actually, I didn't add wine. I just made a normal caramel
sauce..pretty thick but able to ladle over the apples.

My first attempt at the pie was pretty good. It actually tastes very
good. Bottom line, I just need to improve my crust and the liquid.

My first crust was a crisco only one, and I didn't like the taste,
however, it could withstand 350F for an hour without burning.

The butter/crisco crust for this pie was getting too dark within 35
minutes. I think this recipe needs to cook longer than Tyler's 50
minutes. I'd go around 70 minutes for the apples to really fall
apart.

Again, I think if I used the Gala apples instead of the Breaburns,
that might have helped too. I do know they were quite juicy when
sliced.

I like Vox's idea of letting the water run out of them, or cooking the
center first, then adding.

I suppose practices makes perfect.

On 23 Oct 2003 14:52:46 -0700, (Tanya Quinn) wrote:

>shipwreck > wrote in message >. ..
>> Made an caramel apple pie yesterday, following a recipe from FoodTV on
>> Tylers Ultimate program.
>>
>> The main problem was so much juice at the bottom. I mean a flood. I
>> used Granny Smiths (4) and Breaburn (4). Last time I used Gala instead
>> of the Breaburn and had less liquid, but still had a good about.
>>
>> How do I reduce this liquid content?
>>
>> Also, how thin is pie crust supposed to be? I followed Vox's
>> (Julia's) recipe for pie crust and had to make it pretty thing to
>> cover my 9" pie plate.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary

>Hi Gary,
>I saw parts of this episode and was also interested in making this
>pie. I'm a pie novice so I can't help you out with how to modify the
>recipe. Disappointed to hear that it did not work out so well. Did it
>taste good though other than being liquidy?
>
>My question is this - what kind of wine would you use in this recipe?
>Port?Sweet red wine? Then again there is already quite a bit of sugar
>in the recipe so I was not sure what would work well. What did you
>use?
>
>Thanks
>Tanya

Vox Humana

"shipwreck" > wrote in message
news
> Tanya,
>
> Actually, I didn't add wine. I just made a normal caramel
> sauce..pretty thick but able to ladle over the apples.
>
> My first attempt at the pie was pretty good. It actually tastes very
> good. Bottom line, I just need to improve my crust and the liquid.
>
> My first crust was a crisco only one, and I didn't like the taste,
> however, it could withstand 350F for an hour without burning.
>
> The butter/crisco crust for this pie was getting too dark within 35
> minutes. I think this recipe needs to cook longer than Tyler's 50
> minutes. I'd go around 70 minutes for the apples to really fall
> apart.
>
> Again, I think if I used the Gala apples instead of the Breaburns,
> that might have helped too. I do know they were quite juicy when
> sliced.
>
> I like Vox's idea of letting the water run out of them, or cooking the
> center first, then adding.
>
> I suppose practices makes perfect.

Are you baking the pie on the lowest rack position? That allows the bottom
to bake while sparing the top from over browning. Also, omit any washes or
sugar if you crust tends to brown too quickly.

shipwreck

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:34:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>> I suppose practices makes perfect.

>Are you baking the pie on the lowest rack position? That allows the bottom
>to bake while sparing the top from over browning. Also, omit any washes or
>sugar if you crust tends to brown too quickly.

Well, actually, yes I was baking in the center of the oven. It' a
good idea to try lowering it. I'll do that next time.
Vox Humana

"shipwreck" > wrote in message

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:34:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >> I suppose practices makes perfect.

> >Are you baking the pie on the lowest rack position? That allows the

bottom
> >to bake while sparing the top from over browning. Also, omit any washes

or
> >sugar if you crust tends to brown too quickly.
> >

> Well, actually, yes I was baking in the center of the oven. It' a
> good idea to try lowering it. I'll do that next time.

I seem to get the best results when I put the pie pan (glass) directly on a
preheated pizza stone. I put the stone on a rack in the lowest position of
the oven. If the pie it high in the oven there is excessive top heat and
the crust will burn faster.

shipwreck

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:40:26 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>I seem to get the best results when I put the pie pan (glass) directly on a
>preheated pizza stone. I put the stone on a rack in the lowest position of
>the oven. If the pie it high in the oven there is excessive top heat and
>the crust will burn faster.

I'm using a ceramic type 9" pie container. Looks like a La Crose (?)
type of enamel. Is glass the best kind for pie making?
Vox Humana

"shipwreck" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:40:26 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >I seem to get the best results when I put the pie pan (glass) directly on

> >preheated pizza stone. I put the stone on a rack in the lowest position

of
> >the oven. If the pie it high in the oven there is excessive top heat and
> >the crust will burn faster.
> >

> I'm using a ceramic type 9" pie container. Looks like a La Crose (?)
> type of enamel. Is glass the best kind for pie making?

I suppose that there is range of opinions on this. I like glass or dull
metal best. I would suggest that you try glass. It's cheap and that's
probably what most people use. I try to stick to the basics when things
aren't going well.