Priscilla H. Ballou

Default Baking bread with a nine year old

I've become quite an accomplished bread baker with my bread machine
doing the mixing and most of the kneading for me. I use dough cycle
only, though, forming the loaves and baking them normally.

This weekend my nine year-old niece will be visiting me, and the
adventure for this visit is bread baking. (While it's rising we'll
check out what's coming up in my yard.) We will bake her first bread,
and she will take it home with her. It's been ages since I mixed and
kneaded bread instead of letting the machine do it. I do have a Kitchen
Aid with a dough hook, and I want to use that for the mixing, so as not
to introduce the process as one that is *too* wearying.

So, suggestions for a first bread for Emma? I have WW flour on hand as
well as lots of other stuff and will be picking up white bread flour on
the way home. Of course I have yeast, vital wheat gluten, honey, sugar,
butter, eggs, all that other stuff. Even some buttermilk, IIRC. I'm
thinking white bread for her first, although I bake exclusively WW and
other whole grain breads for myself these days.

Recipe ideas?

Thanks!

Priscilla