Old 07-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

Default Baking bread with a nine year old

I've become quite an accomplished bread baker with my bread machine
doing the mixing and most of the kneading for me. I use dough cycle
only, though, forming the loaves and baking them normally.

This weekend my nine year-old niece will be visiting me, and the
adventure for this visit is bread baking. (While it's rising we'll
check out what's coming up in my yard.) We will bake her first bread,
and she will take it home with her. It's been ages since I mixed and
kneaded bread instead of letting the machine do it. I do have a Kitchen
Aid with a dough hook, and I want to use that for the mixing, so as not
to introduce the process as one that is *too* wearying.

So, suggestions for a first bread for Emma? I have WW flour on hand as
well as lots of other stuff and will be picking up white bread flour on
the way home. Of course I have yeast, vital wheat gluten, honey, sugar,
butter, eggs, all that other stuff. Even some buttermilk, IIRC. I'm
thinking white bread for her first, although I bake exclusively WW and
other whole grain breads for myself these days.

Recipe ideas?

Thanks!

Priscilla

Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Vox Humana

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
[...]

I would keep it simple. Use the "basic white bread" recipe that is in the
cookbook supply with the mixer. WW bread is more problematic to make and I
don't think small children like WW bread as well as plain white bread.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Thomas H. O'Reilly

My concern would be that you want her to take the loaf home with her. This
means she doesn't get to taste it with butter and jam when it's hot. A cup
of hot sweet tea with milk? I'd make two loaves, eat one right away, and
take one home..

Old 07-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

The bread I usually make -- the only one I know how to make -- is
challah bread. The kids enjoy doing it with me, especially becasue they
like the braiding and painting-with-eggwhite at the end, before the
final rise.

I agree that you should make one loaf to eat right away, the other to
take home.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Kenneth

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:15:40 GMT, "Thomas H. O'Reilly"
wrote:

My concern would be that you want her to take the loaf home with her. This
means she doesn't get to taste it with butter and jam when it's hot. A cup
of hot sweet tea with milk? I'd make two loaves, eat one right away, and
take one home..

Howdy,

Bread is not at its best when it is still hot from the oven.
(In fact, in France, it is not legal to sell such.)

It is at its best after it has cooled (and is then re-heated
if one wants it warm.) When still hot from the oven, it has
all sorts of off tastes from by-products that will evaporate
as it cools.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Eric Jorgensen

wrote:

My concern would be that you want her to take the loaf home with her.
This means she doesn't get to taste it with butter and jam when it's
hot. A cup of hot sweet tea with milk? I'd make two loaves, eat one
right away, and take one home..

Howdy,

Bread is not at its best when it is still hot from the oven.
(In fact, in France, it is not legal to sell such.)

It is at its best after it has cooled (and is then re-heated
if one wants it warm.) When still hot from the oven, it has
all sorts of off tastes from by-products that will evaporate
as it cools.

Whether that's good or bad is up to the person eating it.