Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

Default Pumpkin, Again

Anyone know how to prepare fresh pumpkin for making a pie?

Also, did anyone ever post a Pumpkin Mouse type recipe here, and if
so, can you re-post it?

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
< davida at jdc dot org dot il >
Jenn Ridley

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:

>Anyone know how to prepare fresh pumpkin for making a pie?

Pumpkin Puree
Cut a sweet pie pumpkin in half. Remove the seeds and strings from the
center.

Place the pumpkin cut side down on a baking sheet. (The few times I
tried it cut side up, the pumpkin was stringy. I don't know if it was
related or not, but when I roast them cut side down they're not
stringy).

Bake at 350F (or Celsius equivalent (I'm too lazy to look it up))
until it's done.

To test for doneness, poke it with a fork (it'll be tough going
through the skin, but if it's done, the flesh underneath will be nice
and soft).

Let cool, then turn the halves over (carefully- I've had the skin come
right off and leave a half-sphere of cooked pumpkin on the baking
sheet) and remove the soft flesh. Mash with a spoon, potato masher or
egg beater. You can also run it through a food processor if you want
it even smoother.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Gregory H.A. Welch

Jenn Ridley wrote:

> Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:
>
> >Anyone know how to prepare fresh pumpkin for making a pie?

> Pumpkin Puree
> Cut a sweet pie pumpkin in half. Remove the seeds and strings from the
> center.
>
> Place the pumpkin cut side down on a baking sheet. (The few times I
> tried it cut side up, the pumpkin was stringy. I don't know if it was
> related or not, but when I roast them cut side down they're not
> stringy).
>
> Bake at 350F (or Celsius equivalent (I'm too lazy to look it up))
> until it's done.
>
> To test for doneness, poke it with a fork (it'll be tough going
> through the skin, but if it's done, the flesh underneath will be nice
> and soft).
>
> Let cool, then turn the halves over (carefully- I've had the skin come
> right off and leave a half-sphere of cooked pumpkin on the baking
> sheet) and remove the soft flesh. Mash with a spoon, potato masher or
> egg beater. You can also run it through a food processor if you want
> it even smoother.
>
> jenn
> --
> Jenn Ridley

I follow these same basic directions but with the addition of putting an
inch or so of water in the baking dish. I use my "witch's hat" mill to
puree the pumpkin after it cools a bit (keeps the skin and strings from
getting through)--I ruined several Foley food mills before switching to
the witch's hat. Figure on an hour or so to bake. Freezes beautifully
(I freeze 2 cups in a 1 quart freezer bag as that amount is most
common). Use "field pumpkins" for best flavor--tan to brown rather
oblong pumpkins with thick, rich, deep-orange flesh. Try the pumpkin
warm with a little butter and brown sugar (like sweet potatoes) or with
a little italian sausage, sage, salt, and pepper over pasta (idea stolen
from PBS cooking show--Michael Chiarella's Napa).

PAX!
Greg