Gregory H.A. Welch

Default Pumpkin, Again

Jenn Ridley wrote:

> Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:
>
> >Anyone know how to prepare fresh pumpkin for making a pie?

> Pumpkin Puree
> Cut a sweet pie pumpkin in half. Remove the seeds and strings from the
> center.
>
> Place the pumpkin cut side down on a baking sheet. (The few times I
> tried it cut side up, the pumpkin was stringy. I don't know if it was
> related or not, but when I roast them cut side down they're not
> stringy).
>
> Bake at 350F (or Celsius equivalent (I'm too lazy to look it up))
> until it's done.
>
> To test for doneness, poke it with a fork (it'll be tough going
> through the skin, but if it's done, the flesh underneath will be nice
> and soft).
>
> Let cool, then turn the halves over (carefully- I've had the skin come
> right off and leave a half-sphere of cooked pumpkin on the baking
> sheet) and remove the soft flesh. Mash with a spoon, potato masher or
> egg beater. You can also run it through a food processor if you want
> it even smoother.
>
> jenn
> --
> Jenn Ridley

I follow these same basic directions but with the addition of putting an
inch or so of water in the baking dish. I use my "witch's hat" mill to
puree the pumpkin after it cools a bit (keeps the skin and strings from
getting through)--I ruined several Foley food mills before switching to
the witch's hat. Figure on an hour or so to bake. Freezes beautifully
(I freeze 2 cups in a 1 quart freezer bag as that amount is most
common). Use "field pumpkins" for best flavor--tan to brown rather
oblong pumpkins with thick, rich, deep-orange flesh. Try the pumpkin
warm with a little butter and brown sugar (like sweet potatoes) or with
a little italian sausage, sage, salt, and pepper over pasta (idea stolen
from PBS cooking show--Michael Chiarella's Napa).

PAX!
Greg