Dee Randall

Default Biscotti pan

I noticed that King Arthur has on backorder until 3-31 a biscotti pan Item
5128 ($19.95) size 12 x5-1/2 x2.
It occurred to me that I could use a glass pyrex baking dish 12 x 7 x 2 for
this same purpose.

I suppose there is a science to the size of this pan being 5-1/2 vs. my 7;
perhaps that is the size that biscottis should be formed into. I'm thinking
of maybe putting a 1-1/2 strip of aluminum foil to take up the 1-1/2" space.
Any other ideas for something else besides aluminum foil, or would one just
go for the larger size biscuit?
Any comments, please.
Thanks.
Dee

jacqui{JB}

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> I noticed that King Arthur has on backorder until
> 3-31 a biscotti pan Item 5128 ($19.95) size
> 2 x5-1/2 x2. It occurred to me that I could use
> a glass pyrex baking dish 12 x 7 x 2 for this same
> purpose.
>
> I suppose there is a science to the size of this pan
> being 5-1/2 vs. my 7; perhaps that is the size that
> biscottis should be formed into. I'm thinking of
> maybe putting a 1-1/2 strip of aluminum foil to take
> up the 1-1/2" space. Any other ideas for something
> else besides aluminum foil, or would one just go for
> the larger size biscuit? Any comments, please.

A biscotti pan is utterly unnecessary, and a complete waste of money
and space in your kitchen. Biscotti are traditionally shaped into a
short/low loaf and baked, then removed from the oven and sliced, then
baked a second time until crisp. There's no need for anything other
than a plain baking sheet or jellyroll-type pan.
-j

jacqui{JB}

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> I noticed that King Arthur has on backorder until
> 3-31 a biscotti pan Item 5128 ($19.95) size
> 2 x5-1/2 x2. It occurred to me that I could use
> a glass pyrex baking dish 12 x 7 x 2 for this same
> purpose.
>
> I suppose there is a science to the size of this pan
> being 5-1/2 vs. my 7; perhaps that is the size that
> biscottis should be formed into. I'm thinking of
> maybe putting a 1-1/2 strip of aluminum foil to take
> up the 1-1/2" space. Any other ideas for something
> else besides aluminum foil, or would one just go for
> the larger size biscuit? Any comments, please.

A biscotti pan is utterly unnecessary, and a complete waste of money
and space in your kitchen. Biscotti are traditionally shaped into a
short/low loaf and baked, then removed from the oven and sliced, then
baked a second time until crisp. There's no need for anything other
than a plain baking sheet or jellyroll-type pan.
-j

Deb

Jacqui is right. Your pyrex pan has 2 inch sides and thats something you
will probably want to avoid or at least keep to a minimum. As for the small
difference in the size of the loaf its not an issue. Originally they were
made in a size to suit the baker, there is no one right size, just a
commonly used size.

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>
> > I noticed that King Arthur has on backorder until
> > 3-31 a biscotti pan Item 5128 ($19.95) size
> > 2 x5-1/2 x2. It occurred to me that I could use
> > a glass pyrex baking dish 12 x 7 x 2 for this same
> > purpose.
> >
> > I suppose there is a science to the size of this pan
> > being 5-1/2 vs. my 7; perhaps that is the size that
> > biscottis should be formed into. I'm thinking of
> > maybe putting a 1-1/2 strip of aluminum foil to take
> > up the 1-1/2" space. Any other ideas for something
> > else besides aluminum foil, or would one just go for
> > the larger size biscuit? Any comments, please.

> A biscotti pan is utterly unnecessary, and a complete waste of money
> and space in your kitchen. Biscotti are traditionally shaped into a
> short/low loaf and baked, then removed from the oven and sliced, then
> baked a second time until crisp. There's no need for anything other
> than a plain baking sheet or jellyroll-type pan.
> -j

Deb

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>
> > I noticed that King Arthur has on backorder until
> > 3-31 a biscotti pan Item 5128 ($19.95) size
> > 2 x5-1/2 x2. It occurred to me that I could use
> > a glass pyrex baking dish 12 x 7 x 2 for this same
> > purpose.
> >
> > I suppose there is a science to the size of this pan
> > being 5-1/2 vs. my 7; perhaps that is the size that
> > biscottis should be formed into. I'm thinking of
> > maybe putting a 1-1/2 strip of aluminum foil to take
> > up the 1-1/2" space. Any other ideas for something
> > else besides aluminum foil, or would one just go for
> > the larger size biscuit? Any comments, please.

> A biscotti pan is utterly unnecessary, and a complete waste of money
> and space in your kitchen. Biscotti are traditionally shaped into a
> short/low loaf and baked, then removed from the oven and sliced, then
> baked a second time until crisp. There's no need for anything other
> than a plain baking sheet or jellyroll-type pan.
> -j

Jerry DeAngelis

Jacqui

Amen!

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>
>> I noticed that King Arthur has on backorder until
>> 3-31 a biscotti pan Item 5128 ($19.95) size
>> 2 x5-1/2 x2. It occurred to me that I could use
>> a glass pyrex baking dish 12 x 7 x 2 for this same
>> purpose.
>>
>> I suppose there is a science to the size of this pan
>> being 5-1/2 vs. my 7; perhaps that is the size that
>> biscottis should be formed into. I'm thinking of
>> maybe putting a 1-1/2 strip of aluminum foil to take
>> up the 1-1/2" space. Any other ideas for something
>> else besides aluminum foil, or would one just go for
>> the larger size biscuit? Any comments, please.

> A biscotti pan is utterly unnecessary, and a complete waste of money
> and space in your kitchen. Biscotti are traditionally shaped into a
> short/low loaf and baked, then removed from the oven and sliced, then
> baked a second time until crisp. There's no need for anything other
> than a plain baking sheet or jellyroll-type pan.
> -j

REC: Biscotti I'm back[_2_] General Cooking 6 29-12-2012 08:32 PM
Biscotti Dorothy Yereance Recipes (moderated) 0 28-03-2008 02:06 AM
Biscotti pan Dee Randall Baking 0 01-03-2005 04:30 AM
biscotti Patrick Carr Coffee 0 23-01-2005 07:22 PM
Biscotti Del Laggaccio (Aniseed Biscotti) 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2004 03:19 PM