Nickoli

Default Bread problems

I was baking bread the other day and it came out extreemly dense. More
like a texture of a scone. Now I was just using a recepie that was on
the yeast packet but without be having to write that up does anyone
have any ideas of what I might have done wrong? Too much flour not
enough water or something???

Any ideas

Nick
Vox Humana

"Nickoli" > wrote in message
om...
> I was baking bread the other day and it came out extreemly dense. More
> like a texture of a scone.

Maybe you should reconsider your scones also if they are dense.

Vox Humana

"Nickoli" > wrote in message
om...
> I was baking bread the other day and it came out extreemly dense. More
> like a texture of a scone.

Maybe you should reconsider your scones also if they are dense.

Sakhiya

Hello,
Guess what I just baked just the perfect bread I had been dreaming of.
After learning all my mistakes I've come up with some really good
pointers. So soft and light in texture, melting in mouth.
The tips for good bread are in the order that I realized in my
experiments till date:
1. When measuring the flour, spoon, measure and level. What it means is
that, DO NOT measure it by scooping the measuring cup directly into the
flour, this way there is a lot of compression and you get more flour
than needed. So what you do is take a spoon or scoop and pour it into
the measuring cup lightly. Do not try to tap the cup it might make the
flour settle and make room for some more. And finally after you fill up
the measuring cup, use a straight edge(like the wrong edge of a knife)
to level it perfectly.
2. Measure the water/other liquids very precisely as if for a
titration.
3. Level the salt, sugar, yeast and other ingredients precisely too.
4. Maintain a good warm temperature for the dough to rise.
5. Very very important: Always keep the dough airtight with minimum
airflow, not to let the air flow which may dry up some of the liquid.
6. Shaping after the first rise should be done as gently as possible,
as if it were a flower.
7. Never tear the dough for the portion sizes, always CUT it with a
knife.
and there you go.
Let me know how your next batch comes up.
Good Luck!

Eric Jorgensen

On 3 Mar 2005 13:42:04 -0800
"Sakhiya" > wrote:

> Hello,
> Guess what I just baked just the perfect bread I had been dreaming of.
> After learning all my mistakes I've come up with some really good
> pointers. So soft and light in texture, melting in mouth.
> The tips for good bread are in the order that I realized in my
> experiments till date:
> 1. When measuring the flour, spoon, measure and level. What it means is
> that, DO NOT measure it by scooping the measuring cup directly into the
> flour, this way there is a lot of compression and you get more flour
> than needed. So what you do is take a spoon or scoop and pour it into
> the measuring cup lightly. Do not try to tap the cup it might make the
> flour settle and make room for some more. And finally after you fill up
> the measuring cup, use a straight edge(like the wrong edge of a knife)
> to level it perfectly.

Well, you've come up with a method that works well for you and your
recipe, but the truth of the matter is that you've missed the issue.

You found an issue that achieves correct hydration for you, it may
result in very high hydration for someone else with another recipe.

The issue is that the amount of flour in 'one cup' varies greatly
depending on the method, and people penning recipes rarely tell you what
method they use.

For best, most reproducible results, measure flour by weight.

> 2. Measure the water/other liquids very precisely as if for a
> titration.
> 3. Level the salt, sugar, yeast and other ingredients precisely too.
> 4. Maintain a good warm temperature for the dough to rise.

Some may disagree. I prefer room temperature water, but two additional
factors in my kitchen are a 25 year old mixer that runs a little hot, and
the fact that i prefer to slow-proof in the fridge.

> 5. Very very important: Always keep the dough airtight with minimum
> airflow, not to let the air flow which may dry up some of the liquid.

Yes, oiled plastic wrap right on the surface of the dough works best.

> 6. Shaping after the first rise should be done as gently as possible,
> as if it were a flower.
> 7. Never tear the dough for the portion sizes, always CUT it with a
> knife.

Depends when you shape it.

When i make bread, it gets portioned and shaped right out of the mixer.
The dough has a long, long time to relax in the fridge, so it doesn't seem
to matter how rough i am with it.

When i make pizza crust, it rises once in the mixer and then gets beat
down by the dough hook before portioning, gets rolled into a ball, and then
most of those go into the fridge as well. This turns out a little sour,
which is exactly what I'm going for.

George Beasley

"Sakhiya" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
> Guess what I just baked just the perfect bread I had been dreaming of.
> After learning all my mistakes I've come up with some really good
> pointers. So soft and light in texture, melting in mouth.
> The tips for good bread are in the order that I realized in my
> experiments till date:
> 1. When measuring the flour, spoon, measure and level. What it means is
> that, DO NOT measure it by scooping the measuring cup directly into the
> flour, this way there is a lot of compression and you get more flour
> than needed. So what you do is take a spoon or scoop and pour it into
> the measuring cup lightly. Do not try to tap the cup it might make the
> flour settle and make room for some more. And finally after you fill up
> the measuring cup, use a straight edge(like the wrong edge of a knife)
> to level it perfectly.
> 2. Measure the water/other liquids very precisely as if for a
> titration.
> 3. Level the salt, sugar, yeast and other ingredients precisely too.
> 4. Maintain a good warm temperature for the dough to rise.
> 5. Very very important: Always keep the dough airtight with minimum
> airflow, not to let the air flow which may dry up some of the liquid.
> 6. Shaping after the first rise should be done as gently as possible,
> as if it were a flower.
> 7. Never tear the dough for the portion sizes, always CUT it with a
> knife.
> and there you go.
> Let me know how your next batch comes up.
> Good Luck!

Thank Sakhiya, those are very good pointers!
I always bake my own bread, rolls etc. and I know what it feels like to come
up with the perfect bread. :-) The best teacher is your own experience.
Well done!!!
Elly

Priscilla H. Ballou

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2005 13:42:04 -0800
> "Sakhiya" > wrote:

[snip]

> > 1. When measuring the flour, spoon, measure and level. What it means is
> > that, DO NOT measure it by scooping the measuring cup directly into the
> > flour, this way there is a lot of compression and you get more flour
> > than needed. So what you do is take a spoon or scoop and pour it into
> > the measuring cup lightly. Do not try to tap the cup it might make the
> > flour settle and make room for some more. And finally after you fill up
> > the measuring cup, use a straight edge(like the wrong edge of a knife)
> > to level it perfectly.

> Well, you've come up with a method that works well for you and your
> recipe, but the truth of the matter is that you've missed the issue.
>
> You found an issue that achieves correct hydration for you, it may
> result in very high hydration for someone else with another recipe.
>
> The issue is that the amount of flour in 'one cup' varies greatly
> depending on the method, and people penning recipes rarely tell you what
> method they use.

Plus, the relative amounts of flour and liquid will vary depending on
the weather on the day you're baking and on the humidity where the
flour's been stored. I've found it's important to check out the feel of
the dough as it's mixing to determine if I need a little more water or
flour.

To me, baking is more about biology and art than it is about chemistry
and drafting.

[snip]

Priscilla

Priscilla H. Ballou

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2005 13:42:04 -0800
> "Sakhiya" > wrote:

[snip]

> > 1. When measuring the flour, spoon, measure and level. What it means is
> > that, DO NOT measure it by scooping the measuring cup directly into the
> > flour, this way there is a lot of compression and you get more flour
> > than needed. So what you do is take a spoon or scoop and pour it into
> > the measuring cup lightly. Do not try to tap the cup it might make the
> > flour settle and make room for some more. And finally after you fill up
> > the measuring cup, use a straight edge(like the wrong edge of a knife)
> > to level it perfectly.

> Well, you've come up with a method that works well for you and your
> recipe, but the truth of the matter is that you've missed the issue.
>
> You found an issue that achieves correct hydration for you, it may
> result in very high hydration for someone else with another recipe.
>
> The issue is that the amount of flour in 'one cup' varies greatly
> depending on the method, and people penning recipes rarely tell you what
> method they use.

Plus, the relative amounts of flour and liquid will vary depending on
the weather on the day you're baking and on the humidity where the
flour's been stored. I've found it's important to check out the feel of
the dough as it's mixing to determine if I need a little more water or
flour.

To me, baking is more about biology and art than it is about chemistry
and drafting.

[snip]

Priscilla
Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:46:29 -0500
"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

> Plus, the relative amounts of flour and liquid will vary depending on
> the weather on the day you're baking and on the humidity where the
> flour's been stored. I've found it's important to check out the feel of
> the dough as it's mixing to determine if I need a little more water or
> flour.

You forgot altitude.

> To me, baking is more about biology and art than it is about chemistry
> and drafting.

I just do it for the chicks.
Priscilla H. Ballou

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:46:29 -0500
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:
>
> > Plus, the relative amounts of flour and liquid will vary depending on
> > the weather on the day you're baking and on the humidity where the
> > flour's been stored. I've found it's important to check out the feel of
> > the dough as it's mixing to determine if I need a little more water or
> > flour.

> You forgot altitude.

Indeed, according to what I'm reading.

> > To me, baking is more about biology and art than it is about chemistry
> > and drafting.

> I just do it for the chicks.

LOL! I do it at home with the cats watching. No chicks. ;-)

Priscilla
Priscilla H. Ballou

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:46:29 -0500
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:
>
> > Plus, the relative amounts of flour and liquid will vary depending on
> > the weather on the day you're baking and on the humidity where the
> > flour's been stored. I've found it's important to check out the feel of
> > the dough as it's mixing to determine if I need a little more water or
> > flour.

> You forgot altitude.

Indeed, according to what I'm reading.

> > To me, baking is more about biology and art than it is about chemistry
> > and drafting.

> I just do it for the chicks.

LOL! I do it at home with the cats watching. No chicks. ;-)

Priscilla

Bread Rolls - Problems - Newbie Bob General Cooking 19 14-10-2005 05:55 PM
Bread problems Nickoli Baking 0 17-02-2005 10:11 PM
Dee Randall - Bread problems Dee Randall Baking 0 22-01-2005 02:06 AM
liver bread coating problems Jack Schidt® General Cooking 4 16-10-2004 01:29 PM
Banana Bread Problems x-archive:no General Cooking 33 18-09-2004 03:13 PM