Escape News

Default Portuguese Sweet Bread

Greetings!

It's a tradition in our family to go to the Portuguese bakery around Easter
and buy some loaves of Massa Cervada. I always thought that I would like to
try my hand at making it, and this year I got a Portuguese cookbook and set
to it. The recipe was not entirely helpful, but I managed to get something
quite similar to what I'd always had. The only problem was that it was very
hard to get the bread baked all the way through without the outside burning.
I suspect that this was due to the higher sugar content, but what can I do
to avoid this problem? I lowered the temperature (from 350 degrees to
325-300) for the other loaves, but they also got very dark (not quite burnt
this time). I figure that next time I'll make the loaves a little smaller
as well. Any other suggestions?

Reg

Escape News wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> It's a tradition in our family to go to the Portuguese bakery around Easter
> and buy some loaves of Massa Cervada. I always thought that I would like to
> try my hand at making it, and this year I got a Portuguese cookbook and set
> to it. The recipe was not entirely helpful, but I managed to get something
> quite similar to what I'd always had. The only problem was that it was very
> hard to get the bread baked all the way through without the outside burning.
> I suspect that this was due to the higher sugar content, but what can I do
> to avoid this problem? I lowered the temperature (from 350 degrees to
> 325-300) for the other loaves, but they also got very dark (not quite burnt
> this time). I figure that next time I'll make the loaves a little smaller
> as well. Any other suggestions?

Bread that is high in sugar will brown faster, so if you find
the crust gets too dark you can try covering them with foil midway
through the cook. This weekend I did two 1.75 lb loaves of brioche in 9x5
inch pans. They were very big and took almost 55 minutes to cook.
I used the foil method with good results.

Scott Taylor

"Escape News" > wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> It's a tradition in our family to go to the Portuguese bakery around

Easter
> and buy some loaves of Massa Cervada. I always thought that I would like

> try my hand at making it, and this year I got a Portuguese cookbook and

set
> to it. The recipe was not entirely helpful, but I managed to get

something
> quite similar to what I'd always had. The only problem was that it was

very
> hard to get the bread baked all the way through without the outside

burning.
> I suspect that this was due to the higher sugar content, but what can I do
> to avoid this problem? I lowered the temperature (from 350 degrees to
> 325-300) for the other loaves, but they also got very dark (not quite

burnt
> this time). I figure that next time I'll make the loaves a little smaller
> as well. Any other suggestions?

Halfway through baking, or when they start to brown nicely, cover them
loosely with foil for the remaining time in the oven.

-Scott

TheKidd

I also make this every Easter.

I use the recipe in the "The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook"
..Works nice.
For the problem with browning too quickly, make sure you are baking on the
lowest shelf in your oven. The tip on foil works well also.

-TheKidd

____
> "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
> that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only
> unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
> public."
>
> ~~Theodore Roosevelt

____

REC: Sweet Potato Bread Mike Muth General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 02:01 AM
Sweet Bread psabella1 Mexican Cooking 3 12-02-2011 10:25 AM
Portuguese bread with Chourico [email protected] General Cooking 4 08-10-2007 01:50 AM
Whole Grain Sweet Rye Bread WRK Sourdough 0 26-10-2006 07:05 PM