Food Prospector

Default Please help with choux pastry

I have been trying to make eclairs. I cook the pastry to a hardened
state, but when I take the pastries out of the oven to puncture and dry
them, they collapse. What can I do to keep them big and round.

Also, maybe I am not beating the eggs enough because the pastries come
out smaller than I expect.

Help-Needed!!!

Vox Humana

"Food Prospector" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been trying to make eclairs. I cook the pastry to a hardened
> state, but when I take the pastries out of the oven to puncture and dry
> them, they collapse. What can I do to keep them big and round.
>
> Also, maybe I am not beating the eggs enough because the pastries come
> out smaller than I expect.
>
> Help-Needed!!!

Use high gluten bread flour
Substitute egg white for some of the whole eggs
Beat the dough over heat to evaporate as much water as possible before
adding eggs
Make sure the oven is hot enough. (start hot and reduce the temperature)

Chef R. W. Miller

3/4 cups water
3 oz. unsalted butter
1 cup kings wheat flour
4 eggs

Bring water and butter to a boil in a large sauce pan.
Add flour to boiling mixture.
Remove from heat, add flour, wisk untill thick like a roux.
Return to high heat, cook stirring, for about 1 to 2 mins.
Mixture will form a ball and coat the pan with a thin film.
Transfer mixture to stand mixer or hand mixer with a paddle attachment.
Mix on low speed for 1 min. or so, to release some heat.
Turn to med. high speed, add eggs, one at a time till each is incorporated
before adding the next.
Place into pipping bag with #5 round tip.
Pipe 1 1/2" lines onto parchment paper.
Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 mins.
Turn oven off, Open doors wide leave for 10 mins. more to dry.
Cool and use or freeze.
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels
"Food Prospector" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been trying to make eclairs. I cook the pastry to a hardened
> state, but when I take the pastries out of the oven to puncture and dry
> them, they collapse. What can I do to keep them big and round.
>
> Also, maybe I am not beating the eggs enough because the pastries come
> out smaller than I expect.
>
> Help-Needed!!!

Light Choux Pastry with Sweet Custard Filling and Strawberries Whiskful Thinki Recipes 0 21-08-2011 09:04 AM
Light Choux Pastry with Sweet Custard Filling and Strawberries! Whiskful Thinki Baking 0 21-08-2011 08:59 AM
Light Choux Pastry with Sweet Custard Filling and Strawberries Whiskful Thinki Recipes (moderated) 0 21-08-2011 08:56 AM
choux pastry gary Baking 6 07-09-2004 03:41 PM
choux pastry gary Baking 1 31-08-2004 11:41 PM