gary

Default choux pastry

I am bemused, in all the posts so far `bring to the boil` I steady the
temp at 37.5 degrees celcius.
Roy Basan

(gary) wrote in message . com>...
> I am bemused, in all the posts so far `bring to the boil` I steady the
> temp at 37.5 degrees celcius.

I do not see the point.....Could you explain further about your way of
making choux without the preparation of the roux by having first the
fat and water to the rolling boil?
If I had to make a choux pastry even with prepared choux pastry mix I
usually prefer hot water. to do the same thing.. Besides at such
temperrature the dispersion of the ingredients is much better.
The keyword here is starch gelatinization that is critical for the
choux mix structure. that is best descibed as an emulsion of flour/
fat, water and eggs stabilized by the gelatiination of starch and
partial denaturation of flour protein) and that can be only attained
if you allow such things to happen in the roux preparation.
A choux premix in comparison is a mixture of pre- gelatinized flour,
egg solids, etc. So even if you just use water at body temperature
you can still be assured that the product will come out
satisfactorily.
But to my experince the choux premix is never the same in taste as
the scratch made product.
I had tried a few times to convert my scratch recipe to a premix using
the functional ingredients found in the food research lab. It did
result in a sattisfactory choux but is not completely identical to the
sractch recipe.
And among the score of pre- mix companies who supplied me choux pastry
premixes for evaluation only one or two firms( found in UK) were
able to make almost similar to the original scratch recipe..And their
products were more expensive descouraging time constrained but
costs conscious pastry chefs to use it.

Roy
gary

unsalted butter for the roux, temp to be maintened when adding egg (37.5)
gary

I do apologize,

I`ve tried the gougeres recipe at different temperatures now (had to
make a shed load for a buffet) and the recipe comes out fine every
time, I was given the tip at catering college and i now think my tutor
is full of shed.
Thankyou for your persistance in correcting my roy.

gary

I do apologize,

I`ve tried the gougeres recipe at different temperatures now (had to
make a shed load for a buffet) and the recipe comes out fine every
time, I was given the tip at catering college and i now think my tutor
is full of shed.
Thankyou for your persistance in correcting my roy.

Light Choux Pastry with Sweet Custard Filling and Strawberries Whiskful Thinki Recipes 0 21-08-2011 09:04 AM
Light Choux Pastry with Sweet Custard Filling and Strawberries! Whiskful Thinki Baking 0 21-08-2011 08:59 AM
Light Choux Pastry with Sweet Custard Filling and Strawberries Whiskful Thinki Recipes (moderated) 0 21-08-2011 08:56 AM
choux pastry gary Baking 1 31-08-2004 11:41 PM
Please help with choux pastry Food Prospector Baking 2 04-04-2004 09:48 PM