Eric Jorgensen

Default I have a problem. How to bake >

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:27:12 -0800
"TSDing" > wrote:

> I am trying to bake something at home still not sucessful.
>
> Procedu
> 1. Flour + Water
> 2. Make into dough
> 3. Flattened the dough, bake inside oven until light brownish.
>
> The problem is it becomes too hard. I want inside like the pizza
> texture.. outside crispy.
>
> How to make the texture softer ?

The problem appears to be that you are making unleavened crackers
instead of pizza crust.

You are going to need some yeast. And you would be well served by a
small portion of salt. The addition of sugar is optional, but can also
enhance the flavor. I use a tiny quantity of honey in my pizza dough. A
small amount of oil will prevent the product from becoming excessively
hard, but Neapolitans will cry foul.

Also, for the crispy outside texture you will need to apply a lot of
heat directly to the dough, this is usually done with a baking stone
inside the oven but can also be done with a heated baking sheet or cast
iron griddle, placed inside the oven when the oven is turned on.

So, you would make that:

1. Water + Yeast + honey + oil
2. Flour + Salt
3. Make into dough
3. Folded and compressed the dough until tough little ball
4. Covered with damp towel or plastic, come back 45 minutes
5. Flattened the dough, bake on very hot surface inside oven until light
brownish.

TSDing

ah.. thank you I will try it out... I have no idea of what I am doing but
I am learning

I am trying to make something I ate the other day... fantastic. Let me
describe...

Its round size of hand, about 1 cm in height. It has crispy outside crust,
inside like the pizza texture, slightly oily on the outside, inside has
onion with small pieces of pork fats. This thing has very nice aroma, taste
abit salty. Once u start eating.. u just cant stop.

Regards
Ding

Nexis

"TSDing" > wrote in message
> I am trying to bake something at home still not sucessful.
>
> Procedu
> 1. Flour + Water
> 2. Make into dough
> 3. Flattened the dough, bake inside oven until light brownish.
>
> The problem is it becomes too hard. I want inside like the pizza texture..
> outside crispy.
>
> How to make the texture softer ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ding

Not sure if you're serious, but assuming you are, the problem here is you
have no leavening. For a pizza texture, you're going to need more than flour
and water. Yeast will be your key. And when you use yeast, you'll need to
feed it...so you will need a tiny amount of sugar as well...and I would have
a bit of salt for flavor. So let's see....we have let's say 1 cup of warm
water (warm for the yeast). Sprinkle with 1 pkg active dry yeast, then
gently stir in about 1/2 tsp sugar. Let it "proof"...which is to say prove
the yeast is good. Basically this means you're going to let it set in a warm
area for 10 min or so, until it begins to bubble. If it doesn't bubble at
all in 10 minutes, check the date on the yeast.

Sift about 3 1/2 cups of flour (all purpose unbleached) into a bowl with a
tsp of salt. Add in the yeast mixture and stir/beat until it forms a stiff
dough. Turn onto a floured countertop, pastry board, table, whatever. Knead
5 minutes or so. To knead, fold the dough in half towards you, then push
with the heel of your hand away from you. Turn 1/4 turn and repeat. After 5
minutes, it should be smooth and elastic. If it's very sticky, sticking to
your hands or whatnot, just dust in some extra flour.

Grease a bowl big enough to hold the dough 3 times over. Place the dough in,
then flip it so it's coated with shortening. Cover with a towel and set in a
warm place. Let rise until doubles insize. Press into shape and bake 15-20
min.

kimberly

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 03:06:51 -0700
"Nexis" > wrote:

> Not sure if you're serious, but assuming you are, the problem here is
> you have no leavening. For a pizza texture, you're going to need more
> than flour and water. Yeast will be your key. And when you use yeast,
> you'll need to feed it...so you will need a tiny amount of sugar as
> well...and I would have a bit of salt for flavor. So let's see....we

This is technically not true - yeast likes starch just fine. It's not
as readily edible to yeast as sucrose, but carbohydrates are sugar
polymers and your dough can rise with no added sugars. Maybe not as
fast, but this could be considered an advantage.

Indeed, the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana demands that true
Neapolitan pizza dough contain nothing but flour, yeast, and water.
Additionally, that it must be shaped by hand without a rolling pin, and
baked on the surface of an exclusively wood-fired oven with no pan.

See the VPN USA website at http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org

TSDing

thanks everyone,

I have successfully done it

yeast + flour + water

Regards
TSDing

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 03:06:51 -0700
> "Nexis" > wrote:
>
> > Not sure if you're serious, but assuming you are, the problem here is
> > you have no leavening. For a pizza texture, you're going to need more
> > than flour and water. Yeast will be your key. And when you use yeast,
> > you'll need to feed it...so you will need a tiny amount of sugar as
> > well...and I would have a bit of salt for flavor. So let's see....we

> This is technically not true - yeast likes starch just fine. It's not
> as readily edible to yeast as sucrose, but carbohydrates are sugar
> polymers and your dough can rise with no added sugars. Maybe not as
> fast, but this could be considered an advantage.
>
> Indeed, the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana demands that true
> Neapolitan pizza dough contain nothing but flour, yeast, and water.
> Additionally, that it must be shaped by hand without a rolling pin, and
> baked on the surface of an exclusively wood-fired oven with no pan.
>
> See the VPN USA website at http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
Can I bake YOU??? Gene Stonerly Baking 0 15-12-2008 05:37 PM
Help! I need to bake something. Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 25 08-12-2008 02:13 AM
Bake it off [email protected][_1_] Baking 6 20-07-2007 10:28 PM
No Bake Peanut Butter Balls (no bake, no flour, no eggs) Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-07-2005 03:08 AM