Karyn Rickert

Default chocolate cookie recipe wanted

Here is an awesome, intensely chocolate cookie that I've made for years. It
comes from the Bon Appetit Christmas book (page 13). I always double the
batch as they are quite popular!

Chocolate Rads
(makes about 15)

1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
1/2 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 14 oz)
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (about 4 oz) (I always add more chocolate
here and omit the nuts)

Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until
smooth. Remove from heat. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in
large bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in melted
chocolate, melted butter, vanilla and espresso powder. Sift flour, baking
powder and salt into small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate
mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refridgerate mixture
until firm, approximately 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Drop batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing evenly.
Press with moist fingertips to form 3 1/2 - 4 inch rounds. Bake cookies
until tops become dry and crack, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on
parchment. Remove from parchment. Cover and store in airtight container at
room temperature.

Vox Humana

"Karyn Rickert" > wrote in message
> Here is an awesome, intensely chocolate cookie that I've made for years.

It
> comes from the Bon Appetit Christmas book (page 13). I always double the
> batch as they are quite popular!
>
> Chocolate Rads
> (makes about 15)
>
> 1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
> 1 3/4 cups sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
> 1/2 cup cake flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 14 oz)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (about 4 oz) (I always add more chocolate
> here and omit the nuts)
>
> Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring

until
> smooth. Remove from heat. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in
> large bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in melted
> chocolate, melted butter, vanilla and espresso powder. Sift flour, baking
> powder and salt into small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate
> mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refridgerate mixture
> until firm, approximately 30 minutes.
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
> Drop batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing evenly.
> Press with moist fingertips to form 3 1/2 - 4 inch rounds. Bake cookies
> until tops become dry and crack, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on
> parchment. Remove from parchment. Cover and store in airtight container

at
> room temperature.

!/2 cup! That's a hell of a cookie.

betsy

Karyn Rickert wrote:
> Here is an awesome, intensely chocolate cookie that I've made for

years. It
> comes from the Bon Appetit Christmas book (page 13). I always double

the
> batch as they are quite popular!
>
> Chocolate Rads
> (makes about 15)
>
> 1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
> 1 3/4 cups sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
> 1/2 cup cake flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 14 oz)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (about 4 oz) (I always add more

chocolate
> here and omit the nuts)
>
> Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring

until
> smooth. Remove from heat. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs

in
> large bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in

melted
> chocolate, melted butter, vanilla and espresso powder. Sift flour,

baking
> powder and salt into small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate
> mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refridgerate

mixture
> until firm, approximately 30 minutes.
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment

paper.
> Drop batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing

evenly.
> Press with moist fingertips to form 3 1/2 - 4 inch rounds. Bake

cookies
> until tops become dry and crack, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on
> parchment. Remove from parchment. Cover and store in airtight

container at
> room temperature.

Just a question - 1/2 cup of dough? you do really mean to put 4 oz by
volume of dough per cookie? Just wondering, 'cause I'd like to try
these, I think my family would like them, it's just an awful lot, but
maybe that's why they're chewy, they're thick?

thanks
betsy

betsy

Karyn Rickert wrote:
> Here is an awesome, intensely chocolate cookie that I've made for

years. It
> comes from the Bon Appetit Christmas book (page 13). I always double

the
> batch as they are quite popular!
>
> Chocolate Rads
> (makes about 15)
>
> 1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
> 1 3/4 cups sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
> 1/2 cup cake flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 14 oz)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (about 4 oz) (I always add more

chocolate
> here and omit the nuts)
>
> Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring

until
> smooth. Remove from heat. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs

in
> large bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in

melted
> chocolate, melted butter, vanilla and espresso powder. Sift flour,

baking
> powder and salt into small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate
> mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refridgerate

mixture
> until firm, approximately 30 minutes.
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment

paper.
> Drop batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing

evenly.
> Press with moist fingertips to form 3 1/2 - 4 inch rounds. Bake

cookies
> until tops become dry and crack, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on
> parchment. Remove from parchment. Cover and store in airtight

container at
> room temperature.

Just a question - 1/2 cup of dough? you do really mean to put 4 oz by
volume of dough per cookie? Just wondering, 'cause I'd like to try
these, I think my family would like them, it's just an awful lot, but
maybe that's why they're chewy, they're thick?

thanks
betsy

Karyn Rickert

Just a question - 1/2 cup of dough? you do really mean to put 4 oz by
volume of dough per cookie? Just wondering, 'cause I'd like to try
these, I think my family would like them, it's just an awful lot, but
maybe that's why they're chewy, they're thick?

thanks
betsy

Yes, they do mean to drop a whole 1/2 cup (4 oz) of cookie dough onto the
cookie sheet for 1 cookie. They come out fabulously chewy and HUGE! I made
them for the first time about 8 or 9 years ago and have been receiving
requests for them since.

Your welcome,
Karyn

betsy

Karyn Rickert wrote:
> Here is an awesome, intensely chocolate cookie that I've made for

years. It
> comes from the Bon Appetit Christmas book (page 13). I always double

the
> batch as they are quite popular!
>
> Chocolate Rads
> (makes about 15)
>
> 1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
> 1 3/4 cups sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
> 1/2 cup cake flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 14 oz)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (about 4 oz) (I always add more

chocolate
> here and omit the nuts)
>
> Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring

until
> smooth. Remove from heat. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs

in
> large bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in

melted
> chocolate, melted butter, vanilla and espresso powder. Sift flour,

baking
> powder and salt into small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate
> mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refridgerate

mixture
> until firm, approximately 30 minutes.
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment

paper.
> Drop batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing

evenly.
> Press with moist fingertips to form 3 1/2 - 4 inch rounds. Bake

cookies
> until tops become dry and crack, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on
> parchment. Remove from parchment. Cover and store in airtight

container at
> room temperature.

Just a question - 1/2 cup of dough? you do really mean to put 4 oz by
volume of dough per cookie? Just wondering, 'cause I'd like to try
these, I think my family would like them, it's just an awful lot, but
maybe that's wehy they're chewy, they're thick?

thanks
betsy

betsy

Karyn Rickert wrote:
> Here is an awesome, intensely chocolate cookie that I've made for

years. It
> comes from the Bon Appetit Christmas book (page 13). I always double

the
> batch as they are quite popular!
>
> Chocolate Rads
> (makes about 15)
>
> 1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
> 1 3/4 cups sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
> 1/2 cup cake flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 14 oz)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (about 4 oz) (I always add more

chocolate
> here and omit the nuts)
>
> Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring

until
> smooth. Remove from heat. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs

in
> large bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in

melted
> chocolate, melted butter, vanilla and espresso powder. Sift flour,

baking
> powder and salt into small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate
> mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refridgerate

mixture
> until firm, approximately 30 minutes.
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment

paper.
> Drop batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing

evenly.
> Press with moist fingertips to form 3 1/2 - 4 inch rounds. Bake

cookies
> until tops become dry and crack, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on
> parchment. Remove from parchment. Cover and store in airtight

container at
> room temperature.

Just a question - 1/2 cup of dough? you do really mean to put 4 oz by
volume of dough per cookie? Just wondering, 'cause I'd like to try
these, I think my family would like them, it's just an awful lot, but
maybe that's wehy they're chewy, they're thick?

thanks
betsy

betsy

OK, so how far apart should they be once you've flattened to 3 1/2 or 4
inch circles? That is, how much space in between the edges of 2 of
them?
thanks
betsy

(Google seems to have changed their set-up, and since I post through
them, it doesn't look like the text of the message I am replying to is
also quoted, so I apologize if that's true.)

I am asking about the chewy chocolate cookies that use 1/2 cup of dough
per cookie...

Karyn Rickert

You place them about an inch or so apart. They don't spread real far which
is why they are so chewy and yummy! I have to make another batch this
weekend since the first batch didn't make it into the gift baskets for
Christmas.

Enjoy!
Karyn