HumbleEmpire

Default Croatian "licitar" gingerbread recipe

I am looking for a recipe for Croatian gigngerbread cookies known as
"licitarka srca" or "licitar hearts". They are glazed with red icing
and ornately decorated. I have never made them before and would
appreciate any recipes and/or tips. So far, I've only seen pictures of
them.

Does anyone happen to know the best way to glaze them? Should I make
a hole in each cookie after baking so I can hang it on a string for
dipping in the glaze and then drying? Are two cookies usually put
together back-to-back with icing, or are the cookies just quite thick?

Thanks!
Sharon
Peggy

I found this online:

Licitarska Scra
For the dough:
5 C. sugar
6 C. water
1 1/3 C. baking soda
10 C. flour

For the Glaze:
scant 4 1/2 C. gelatine
3 C. water
food coloring

For the decoration:
gelatine
sugar syrup
potato flour
food coloring

1) Use the ingredients to make the dough. Leave it for one hour and then
re-knead it and roll it out on the table with a rolling pin. Shape licitars
with licitar moulds and place them in a metal pan previously greased with
oil and sprinkled with flour. Place licitars in a preheated oven and bake
them for several minutes at 350°F. After baking them, remove the remaining
flour and leave them for several days to dry.
2) Place the gelatine into the water, stir and cook on vapour until stiff.
Add some food coloring. Carefully dip small licitars into the glaze. Hang
them up to dry (at least a day). Place the glaze on larger licitars by using
a pastry brush.
3) For the decoration, make a mixture of the above mentioned ingredients and
fill a pastry bag with nozzles depending on the decoration you want. Press
the bag and make decorations on licitars. When the decoration dries,
licitars are ready.
(From http://www.cookieboard.com/Home%20Pa.../Recipes3.html)
~Peggy

om...