Echo44

Default Grand Marnier

I'm thinking of making a cake that calls for soaking the layers in a
syrup made with Grand Marnier and orange juice. I don't have Grand
Marnier. Would Orange Curacao be an acceptable substitute?

Larry

Wayne Boatwright

Echo44 > wrote in news:COeYb.333860$xy6.1647149
@attbi_s02:

> I'm thinking of making a cake that calls for soaking the layers in a
> syrup made with Grand Marnier and orange juice. I don't have Grand
> Marnier. Would Orange Curacao be an acceptable substitute?
>
> Larry

The flavor isn't the same, but it would still be quite good.
Paul

Sure. I'd even use triple sec in a pinch, or even just the orange juice.
You're just trying for a nice concentrated orange flavor, and Grand Marnier
is the best source. I bet it would be hard to tell the difference between
the Grand Marnier and any substitute in the final product.

"Echo44" > wrote in message

> I'm thinking of making a cake that calls for soaking the layers in a
> syrup made with Grand Marnier and orange juice. I don't have Grand
> Marnier. Would Orange Curacao be an acceptable substitute?
>
> Larry

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:14:59 GMT, Echo44 > wrote:

>I'm thinking of making a cake that calls for soaking the layers in a
>syrup made with Grand Marnier and orange juice. I don't have Grand
>Marnier. Would Orange Curacao be an acceptable substitute?
>
>Larry

Personally, if I were you, I might substitute Sabra Liqueur - also
orange but with additional chocolate flavor.

If you're worried that there won't be enough orange flavor, make the
juice from concentrate and use double (or more) of the concentrate to
the amount of liquid you need.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Ace

On 2004-02-16 20:14:59 -0600, Echo44 > said:

> I'm thinking of making a cake that calls for soaking the layers in a
> syrup made with Grand Marnier and orange juice. I don't have Grand
> Marnier. Would Orange Curacao be an acceptable substitute?
>
> Larry

You could also use Cointreau if it's available.

Ace

Ace

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:16:39 -0600, Ace > wrote:

>On 2004-02-16 20:14:59 -0600, Echo44 > said:
>

>> I'm thinking of making a cake that calls for soaking the layers in a
>> syrup made with Grand Marnier and orange juice. I don't have Grand
>> Marnier. Would Orange Curacao be an acceptable substitute?
>>
>> Larry

>You could also use Cointreau if it's available.

That would work fine, too, I'm sure!

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
NOTE: From March 15, please add the letter c after my name
for my new REAL e-mail address!
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)

Grand Marnier Truffles [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Grand Marnier Souffle sf General Cooking 19 02-12-2005 11:21 AM
GRAND MARNIER TRUFFLES Tim Recipes 0 17-07-2005 07:49 PM
How to use up Grand Marnier (I don't drink) I didn't drink the punch. General Cooking 14 24-12-2003 04:55 AM
Q: What to make w/Grand Marnier? Evil General Cooking 28 02-12-2003 08:12 AM