Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat,aus.tv,uk.media.tv.misc,rec.food.baking

Default REC;Lamb Gyros

On 11/07/2010 10:59pm, Peter Lucas wrote:
Having tried duplicating the Kronos Gyro Meat a couple previous times,
they were edible, but not quite what I had in mind for humans! This
works very well and comes pretty darn close to what you'll find in the
restaurants (that use Kronos brand gyro meat). - PL
Seasoning mix:

1 T Greek oregano
1 T Rubbed sage
1 T Whole coriander seed
12 T Marjoram
1 ts Granulated garlic
1 ts Granulated onion
1 ts Whole cumin
2 ts Whole fenugreek
2 ts Whole black pepper

All the above are to be ground in a coffee grinder or by using a
mortar/pestle.
Meat mixtu

15 lb Ground lamb (not too lean - about 80-85% lean)
1 Large Egg
1/3 cup Fine bread crumbs
1.5 Tsp Salt

Mix all but 1 ts of the spice mixture into meat mixture and blend
well, saving that teaspoon if you make the yogurt sauce. Some people
have reported success using a food processor for a denser-textured
meat. Working the meat well with spatula or hands to mix also acheives
the same effect

Press meat/spice mixture into a adequate loaf pan and cover with
sliced onions. Bake unconvered at 375F for 35-40 minutes.

I also make a cucumber/sour cream sauce, with finely diced onion and
cucumber, green onions, a pressed clove of garlic, juice of 1/3rd
lime, and a little salt along with a touch of the seasoning mixture
from above. I let that sit for 2 hours (6 is better). Make this before
anything else.

After baking the gyro loaf, you can optionally fry slices of the meat
in a very hot pan for a minute or two to give the meat some texture
and maillard effect (browing). You can also briefly fry some onions
along side the meat to use in filling the pita. The cooked onions
should still be slightly crispy and not too limp.

Or you can just slice the loaf and some fresh onion and use as is.

I sometimes use warmed tortillas rather than pitas to make my gyros.
The tortillas or pitas are warmed over the open flame of the gas
burner. I also sometimes substitute Mexican cotija cheese for feta
cheese, but I never use cow's milk feta - only sheep's milk. The
cheese is optional. Chopped tomatoes also usually accompany the meat,
onion, sour cream/yogurt w/cucumber sauce filling.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"Religion - all religion - is my reason to live. It's the grand
beauty of our father the Lord. The joyful, the only authority of the
world, who has the strength to lead and instruct us day by day"
Stephan Smith, "The Bourneville Cocoa Legacy"

Where is the racist/sexist joke?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM posted to alt.cooking-chat,aus.tv,uk.media.tv.misc,rec.food.baking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:49:22 +0100, Jon wrote:

Where is the racist/sexist joke?

I don't know where you came from but it can't be rfc, because most
posters there have caught on there's a troll @manlymail. You
responded to the real Peter, not the troll. Wake up and smell the
coffee, get a real news reader with a kill file, then kill @manlymail.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

REC;Lamb Gyros Jon[_6_] General Cooking 9 13-07-2010 09:06 PM
Gyros [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 8 27-04-2006 09:55 PM
Gyros Roberta General Cooking 37 30-08-2005 08:41 PM
Lamb for gyros? Zspider General Cooking 42 24-11-2004 06:35 AM