Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat,aus.tv,uk.media.tv.misc,rec.food.baking

Default REC;Lamb Gyros

On 11/07/2010 10:59pm, Peter Lucas wrote:
> Having tried duplicating the Kronos Gyro Meat a couple previous times,
> they were edible, but not quite what I had in mind for humans! This
> works very well and comes pretty darn close to what you'll find in the
> restaurants (that use Kronos brand gyro meat). - PL
> Seasoning mix:
>
> 1 T Greek oregano
> 1 T Rubbed sage
> 1 T Whole coriander seed
> 12 T Marjoram
> 1 ts Granulated garlic
> 1 ts Granulated onion
> 1 ts Whole cumin
> 2 ts Whole fenugreek
> 2 ts Whole black pepper
>
> All the above are to be ground in a coffee grinder or by using a
> mortar/pestle.
> Meat mixtu
>
> 15 lb Ground lamb (not too lean - about 80-85% lean)
> 1 Large Egg
> 1/3 cup Fine bread crumbs
> 1.5 Tsp Salt
>
> Mix all but 1 ts of the spice mixture into meat mixture and blend
> well, saving that teaspoon if you make the yogurt sauce. Some people
> have reported success using a food processor for a denser-textured
> meat. Working the meat well with spatula or hands to mix also acheives
> the same effect
>
> Press meat/spice mixture into a adequate loaf pan and cover with
> sliced onions. Bake unconvered at 375F for 35-40 minutes.
>
> I also make a cucumber/sour cream sauce, with finely diced onion and
> cucumber, green onions, a pressed clove of garlic, juice of 1/3rd
> lime, and a little salt along with a touch of the seasoning mixture
> from above. I let that sit for 2 hours (6 is better). Make this before
> anything else.
>
> After baking the gyro loaf, you can optionally fry slices of the meat
> in a very hot pan for a minute or two to give the meat some texture
> and maillard effect (browing). You can also briefly fry some onions
> along side the meat to use in filling the pita. The cooked onions
> should still be slightly crispy and not too limp.
>
> Or you can just slice the loaf and some fresh onion and use as is.
>
> I sometimes use warmed tortillas rather than pitas to make my gyros.
> The tortillas or pitas are warmed over the open flame of the gas
> burner. I also sometimes substitute Mexican cotija cheese for feta
> cheese, but I never use cow's milk feta - only sheep's milk. The
> cheese is optional. Chopped tomatoes also usually accompany the meat,
> onion, sour cream/yogurt w/cucumber sauce filling.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> "Religion - all religion - is my reason to live. It's the grand
> beauty of our father the Lord. The joyful, the only authority of the
> world, who has the strength to lead and instruct us day by day"
> Stephan Smith, "The Bourneville Cocoa Legacy"

Where is the racist/sexist joke?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 11/07/2010 10:59pm, Peter Lucas wrote:
>> 15 lb Ground lamb (not too lean - about 80-85% lean)

Is that actually 15 pounds or is it 1.5 pounds? Sounds like it might be
quite tasty, but I did want to double check.

-Jen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:54:37 +0100, "Jen P." >
wrote:

>> On 11/07/2010 10:59pm, Peter Lucas wrote:
>>> 15 lb Ground lamb (not too lean - about 80-85% lean)

>Is that actually 15 pounds or is it 1.5 pounds? Sounds like it might be
>quite tasty, but I did want to double check.

Look at the RFC signature dishes. That recipe belongs to Sqwertz.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/07/2010 13:52, Lou Decruss wrote:
> Look at the RFC signature dishes. That recipe belongs to Sqwertz.

Ah hah, I do - now that you mention it - remember seeing a recipe for
gyro meat on the web site, but would never have connected one to the
other.

Cheers!

-Jen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:23:45 +0100, "Jen P." >
wrote:

> On 12/07/2010 13:52, Lou Decruss wrote:
> > Look at the RFC signature dishes. That recipe belongs to Sqwertz.

> Ah hah, I do - now that you mention it - remember seeing a recipe for
> gyro meat on the web site, but would never have connected one to the
> other.

There are a million recipes for it in cyberspace. PL probably used an
Aus site.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> There are a million recipes for it in cyberspace. PL probably used an
> Aus site.

That wasn't the real PL, you know. So it probably just yanked the recipe
from Chatty Cathy's site to see who would notice.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:20:18 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > There are a million recipes for it in cyberspace. PL probably used an
> > Aus site.

> That wasn't the real PL, you know. So it probably just yanked the recipe
> from Chatty Cathy's site to see who would notice.

I didn't see the OP, so I didn't know if her news reader stripped his
address or if it just returned as plain Peter Lucas (another dead give
away). I should have known better, just because I didn't see the OP
but I was going on the theory it was dropped by my carrier. My bad.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Froot Bat" > wrote in message

Plonk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> On 11/07/2010 10:59pm, Peter Lucas wrote:
>>> 15 lb Ground lamb (not too lean - about 80-85% lean)

>Is that actually 15 pounds or is it 1.5 pounds? Sounds like it might be
>quite tasty, but I did want to double check.

I thought gyro meat was a combination of lamb and beef.

I'm almost certain that Kronos is.

Love 'em. There used to be several shops around Times Square called
"Bill's Gyros", but after the area was gentrified, they closed, and I
have not been able to locate them if they reopened somewhere else.

REC;Lamb Gyros Jon[_6_] Baking 2 12-07-2010 06:42 PM
Gyros Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 8 27-04-2006 09:55 PM
Gyros Roberta General Cooking 37 30-08-2005 08:41 PM
Lamb for gyros? Zspider General Cooking 42 24-11-2004 06:35 AM