Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gyros

Do you make your gyros with just lamb, or a lamb/beef mixture.

In the past I've used a recipe that just uses ground lamb and beef.
I was looking at Alton Brown's recipe, and he purees the mixture into
a paste.

I was going to combine the 2: Use the lamb/beef mixture, but also
puree it instead of just making it into a meat loaf.

Any thoughts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Do you make your gyros with just lamb, or a lamb/beef mixture.
>
> In the past I've used a recipe that just uses ground lamb and beef.
> I was looking at Alton Brown's recipe, and he purees the mixture into
> a paste.
>
> I was going to combine the 2: Use the lamb/beef mixture, but also
> puree it instead of just making it into a meat loaf.
>
> Any thoughts?

Whenever I asked people in Chicago what was in their Gyros meat, I was told
it was lamb and beef. Okay, fine. First time I made AB's recipe, I used all
lamb. Really good.

Then I decided to try lamb and beef at about half and half, and if was okay,
but not as good. I tried 1/4 beef and it was better. But I still think the
all-lamb was best.

If you use AB's recipe, don't be tempted to double the recipe unless you
also plan on making 2 loaves. I tried doubling, and it just didn't want to
stay on the spit. I suppose if you're making it in a loaf pan, it would be
different, but the rotisserie version would be my choice.

Does your version have the same spices as AB's? When I first started
Googling for recipes, the spices were so varied, I couldn't believe it.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Pureeing is good. Using just ground meat
> doesn't produce a very good texture for gyros.

Ah, that's the secret. I wondered how exactly
the commercial gyros places make that log of
meat used in the vertical rotissiere. I would
guess they use a combination of pureed and
ground (what ratio?), plus binders like
carrageenan or algin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:07:47 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Pureeing is good. Using just ground meat
> >> doesn't produce a very good texture for gyros.

> > Ah, that's the secret. I wondered how exactly
> > the commercial gyros places make that log of
> > meat used in the vertical rotissiere. I would
> > guess they use a combination of pureed and
> > ground (what ratio?), plus binders like
> > carrageenan or algin.

> I think it's mostly pureed. They use something in there that
> soaks up fat and fills in the gaps so it's really dense. I don't
> know what that is though.
>
> When I puree it, it's still kinda airy where the fat has rendered
> out. I know Kronos isn't using a super-lean beef and lamb
> mixture though. I've seen the nutritional info.
>
> I love Kronos gyro meat. They're the ones that make most of the
> gyro meat cones.
> http://www.kronosproducts.com/

Their meat is the best. I Jones big time for Kronos gyros.

> Iropnically, their "all beef" version is their "premium" version.
> I much prefer their "traditional" over the Titan and Premium
> versions.

Agreed.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>>Pureeing is good. Using just ground meat
>>doesn't produce a very good texture for gyros.

> Ah, that's the secret. I wondered how exactly
> the commercial gyros places make that log of
> meat used in the vertical rotissiere. I would
> guess they use a combination of pureed and
> ground (what ratio?), plus binders like
> carrageenan or algin.

No binders. The meat is emulsified, in a fasion similar
to hot dogs and bologna.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> >
> > Pureeing is good. Using just ground meat
> > doesn't produce a very good texture for gyros.

> Ah, that's the secret. I wondered how exactly
> the commercial gyros places make that log of
> meat used in the vertical rotissiere. I would
> guess they use a combination of pureed and
> ground (what ratio?), plus binders like
> carrageenan or algin.

In some versions of this giant meatloaf on a spit thin slices of veal are
layered horizontally in the mince. This holds the loaf and reduces the
tendency for it to spread and fall off the spit. This is obviously more
expensive and might not be used in bulk commercial productions.

Another technique, according to a bulk butcher of my acquaintance who is the
chevapi* king of Sydney, the way to make mince hold together is to have the
right mix of meat and fat, to add salt and to work the mix for a time before
attempting to shape it. Passing through the mincer a few times works for me
and although it grinds the mix somewhat finer than one pass it leaves a
degree of texture.

David

* (a spiced skinless sausage from the balkans)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The gyros came out perfect! We had company over, and there was alot
of moaning and "mmmm"-ing.

I used 2 pounds lamb, ground it up, combined it with 1 pound ground
sirloin, and pureed everything into a paste.

Pressed it firmly into a loaf pan, cooked it to 160 degrees, then
removed from the oven and placed bricks on it for 20 minutes.

The finished texture and flavor was absolutely perfect.

Served it with whole wheat pitas and a low-fat yogurt cucumber sauce.

It rocked the house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:22:04 GMT,
" <> wrote:

>I used 2 pounds lamb, ground it up, combined it with 1 pound ground
>sirloin, and pureed everything into a paste.

Can you tell me what the spices were that you used? My partners would
*love* this!

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Can you tell me what the spices were that you used? My partners would
>*love* this!

1.5 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp dried marjoram

3 tsp fresh lemon juice

1/4 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic, minced

REC;Lamb Gyros Jon[_6_] General Cooking 9 13-07-2010 09:06 PM
REC;Lamb Gyros Jon[_6_] Baking 2 12-07-2010 06:42 PM
Gyros Roberta General Cooking 37 30-08-2005 08:41 PM
Gyros Duckie ® Recipes 0 20-07-2005 01:59 AM