Denise

Default baking with whole wheat flour

I'm trying to up my intake of whole grains and would like to try baking with
whole wheat flour. I see references to whole wheat pastry flour and whole
wheat graham flour. Are they the same? How are they different from ordinary
whole wheat flour? Is white whole wheat flour more like pastry flour? Also,
do you need to add gluten to make it rise (like you do with bread)? I
appreciate any info you can share with me. Many thanks,
Denise

Karstens Rage

Denise wrote:
> I'm trying to up my intake of whole grains and would like to try baking with
> whole wheat flour. I see references to whole wheat pastry flour and whole
> wheat graham flour. Are they the same? How are they different from ordinary
> whole wheat flour? Is white whole wheat flour more like pastry flour? Also,
> do you need to add gluten to make it rise (like you do with bread)? I
> appreciate any info you can share with me. Many thanks,
> Denise

Denise,

Try substituting about half your white flour with whole wheat. Just use
regular whole wheat flour. I really like King Arthur. Whole Wheat Pastry
flour is the same as graham flour I think and its much more finely
ground and has less protein.

I have heard that the gluten "strings" are cut by the sharp whole grains
but I havent found it to be any big deal with half and half. Completely
whole grain is very dense. I tend to add more water to make a stickier
dough and that makes it easier for the yeast to do its work but harder
for you to do your work

Janet Bostwick

"Denise" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to up my intake of whole grains and would like to try baking
> with
> whole wheat flour. I see references to whole wheat pastry flour and whole
> wheat graham flour. Are they the same? How are they different from
> ordinary
> whole wheat flour? Is white whole wheat flour more like pastry flour?
> Also,
> do you need to add gluten to make it rise (like you do with bread)? I
> appreciate any info you can share with me. Many thanks,
> Denise

You cannot use pastry flour to make bread. Pastry flour is made from a soft
wheat. When you buy whole wheat flour, make sure that you know whether it
is pastry flour or not. White whole wheat is simply a different color of
the wheat grain and is suitable for bread making. Adding vital wheat gluten
to pastry flour will not make a satisfactory bread flour. I believe that
you can substitute some whole wheat pastry flour when making brownies,
cookies etc. You can substitute some whole wheat bread flour for white
flour when making bread. You should be aware that whole wheat absorbs
liquids differently than white flour. This will affect how much liquid you
use in a recipe and the timing. Whole wheat loaves need not be dense, you
just need to learn different techniques. There are specific recipes for
whole wheat breads and other baked goods.
Janet

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:22:13 GMT, "Denise" >
wrote:

>I'm trying to up my intake of whole grains and would like to try baking with
>whole wheat flour. I see references to whole wheat pastry flour and whole
>wheat graham flour. Are they the same? How are they different from ordinary
>whole wheat flour? Is white whole wheat flour more like pastry flour? Also,
>do you need to add gluten to make it rise (like you do with bread)? I
>appreciate any info you can share with me. Many thanks,
>Denise

I use a 30% bran whole wheat flour that our health food shop grinds
itself. They also have 70% but that's a bit too dark for me. Anyway,
the germ isn't included, so I'd still have to add that separately.
With the 30%, I find its almost exactly the same as using regular
white flour - same rising, same in cakes.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>