Brian Raab

Default Alert! Terrorists bake explosive cakes ! ! !

They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !

Alert !
Roy Basan

(Brian Raab) wrote in message . com>...
> They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !
>
> Alert !

Hmmnn.....
It is not a farfetched idea. Any extremely evil and but very creative
person can possibly do that .
Powdered PETN or pentaerythritol tetranitrate which is present in
detonating cord and in SEMTEX is a white odorless, granular substance
that can be easily made by a technically capable terrorist who had the
materials and the means.In comparison the other explosive component of
SEMTEX and present in military C-4 called as RDX is slightly more
difficult to make and less economically feasible to prepare if
compared to PETN but the raw materials are easily accessible as well..
PETN can be recrystallized as finely divided material like flour or
icing sugar and can be made into plastic dough with certain (easy
to acquire plasticizers and binders) which can be made as similar in
texture and color to rolled fondant or even marzipan , so it can
innocuosly made to appear like part of the cake and can pass the
normally lax security measures that occur in such occasions.
It may not look noticeable if a tiny detonator is implanted
underneath in such fake rolled fondant/marzipan and properly wired so
that can be remotely detonated as well.

There are other possibilities that any imaginative but vile, but very
technically capable terrorist( who incidentally was an experienced
baker/ patissier) could think how to do such extremely evil mischief.

Unless the sniffer dogs or airport type explosive detection system are
present in celebrants house( the target).
Just remember,,,,
Homemade PETN or RDX does not have a taggant like commercial/military
type explosives so very difficult to trace the source of the explosive
for the investigators examining the criminal evidence.

Roy
graham

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in message
> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 3 Oct
> 2004 19:43:47 -0700, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> (Brian Raab) reported:
>
> >They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !
> >

> BWAHAHAHAHAH!
>
> That's funny!

This little twerp has posted stupid messages on other groups. Probably a
spotty adolescent.
Graham

graham

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in message
> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 3 Oct
> 2004 19:43:47 -0700, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> (Brian Raab) reported:
>
> >They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !
> >

> BWAHAHAHAHAH!
>
> That's funny!

This little twerp has posted stupid messages on other groups. Probably a
spotty adolescent.
Graham

Dave Bell

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:

> >> They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !
> >>
> >> Alert !

> >Hmmnn.....
> >It is not a farfetched idea. Any extremely evil and but very creative
> >person can possibly do that .

> You have GOT to be kidding! The idiot said "bake cakes with
> explosives". Bake any explosive in an oven and I'm sure it will blow
> up before you can stick your toothpick in to check it.
>
> (Idiots!)
> --
> Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)

Not so, really. Most commonly used high explosives are extremely
INsensitive to heat and friction initiation. That's why they require a
primer or detonator to set them off. GIs (probably of most countries)
have frequently used chunks of C4 and other explosives as cooking fuel, as
they simply burn, when lit with a match. I would be more concerned from a
chemistry basis, with changes to the explosive compound in the baking
environment (moisture, pH, slow, long duration heating, etc.)

On the other hand, the resulting cake would STIL require a detonator
("blasting cap") to do anything "interesting"!

Dave
Dave Bell

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:

> >> They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !
> >>
> >> Alert !

> >Hmmnn.....
> >It is not a farfetched idea. Any extremely evil and but very creative
> >person can possibly do that .

> You have GOT to be kidding! The idiot said "bake cakes with
> explosives". Bake any explosive in an oven and I'm sure it will blow
> up before you can stick your toothpick in to check it.
>
> (Idiots!)
> --
> Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)

Not so, really. Most commonly used high explosives are extremely
INsensitive to heat and friction initiation. That's why they require a
primer or detonator to set them off. GIs (probably of most countries)
have frequently used chunks of C4 and other explosives as cooking fuel, as
they simply burn, when lit with a match. I would be more concerned from a
chemistry basis, with changes to the explosive compound in the baking
environment (moisture, pH, slow, long duration heating, etc.)

On the other hand, the resulting cake would STIL require a detonator
("blasting cap") to do anything "interesting"!

Dave
Roy Basan

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in message >. ..
> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 4 Oct
> 2004 02:01:15 -0700, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> (Roy Basan) reported:
>
> (Brian Raab) wrote in message . com>...
> >> They will bake cakes with explosives and use them to blow you up !
> >>
> >> Alert !

> >Hmmnn.....
> >It is not a farfetched idea. Any extremely evil and but very creative
> >person can possibly do that .

> You have GOT to be kidding! The idiot said "bake cakes with
> explosives". Bake any explosive in an oven and I'm sure it will blow
> up before you can stick your toothpick in to check it.

Chalazah,
I was disgusted.... I am aware that all Israelis are to undergo
military training and possibly attain some considerable knowledge
about explosives.
Don't tell me that you are naive about these things....
What is your problem?.....are you worried that in a certain Jewish
festivities some of the baked goods( ordered from outside )for such
occassion can be laced with explosives and wired to be detonated
remotely?
Now if you say that is impossible to bake and explosive into the
dough?I doubt about that.What is the internal baking temperatures in
the normal bread dough ( or cake batter), just barely reaching 100 deg
C. The melting point of PETN and RDX are 140 and 205 deg C
respectively.And if ever they are forgotten in the oven and overheated
they will not explode directly but to gradually smoke and burn with a
smoky flame in such conditions.

Therefore if a bread , say a decorative one that is commonly made with
flour, water and salt and have part of the flour replaced with finely
divided PETN. It will come out as a dough alright which can be molded
into decorative items which can be also wired.
There is a truth in the latter as it was proven in one of the
classified US military manuals that you can make an explosive bake
stable dough that can be used as bomb.And there are many ezamples
there of explosive cookies and pancakes in that compilation.
Why its not entirely poaaible that the , homintashen cookies and even
bagels( not necessarily baked) can be simulated from plastic bonded
explosives.
On the other hand in my previous post......
I was not thinking of baking the cake with explosives but having its
finishing and decoration foundation based on such materials as
commonly used marzipan and rolled fondant be simulated with home made
plastic explosives. It is possible, to give a you hint the binder can
be obtained from chewing gum can be used to make a moldable ezplosives
and any plasticizers can obtained from various other sources used for
interior decorating and carpentry work.
Another example:
Or the sponge cake when already cut into slices and to be washed with
syrup before assembling into torte. But can have the syrup replaced
with a nitrated sorbitol which is an explosive as well and its not as
distinctive as the headache producing nitroglycerine and nitroglycol.
Another way is to dissolve the PETN in acetone and use that to soak
into the sponges/genoise and let the acetone dry leaving finely
divided high explosive in the cake which can be easily initiated to
detonation effectively.
So a terrorist baker can use that to soak the sponges before its
assembled and wired appropriately as well.
Or the cake fillings can be made of the same plastic explosives but
the consistency adjusted to be spreadable with a palette knife
suitable odorless solvents such as glycerol,sorbitol etc.
The cake icing can also be made with an explosive frosting adjusted to
consistency for piping and spreading.
In the end the detonator antenna can be disguised as a silver dragee
decoration or even the wire assembled flowers in the wedding cakes.
There are many possible ways that a high explosive can be placed in a
baked product, so be careful.
When you go to the bakery shop you better carry a trained bomb
sniffing dog before you buy your baked goods<g> .
BTW, a comforting thought( for you) is that the Palestinian terrorists
have not reached that level of explosive sophistication.But the
Israeli Mossad could have possibly thought of the same
possibilities....They have entirely creative and novel ways of
eliminating Hamas personalities.
Roy
Roy Basan

> [...]

the consistency adjusted to be spreadable with a palette knife
suitable odorless solvents such as glycerol,sorbitol etc.
The cake icing can also be made with an explosive frosting adjusted to
consistency for piping and spreading.
In the end the detonator antenna can be disguised as a silver dragee
decoration or even the wire assembled flowers in the wedding cakes.
There are many possible ways that a high explosive can be placed in a
baked product, so be careful.
When you go to the bakery shop you better carry a trained bomb
sniffing dog before you buy your baked goods<g> .
BTW, a comforting thought( for you) is that the Palestinian terrorists
have not reached that level of explosive sophistication.But the
Israeli Mossad could have possibly thought of the same
possibilities....They have entirely creative and novel ways of

Roy Basan

(The Old Bear) wrote in message >...

> Roy, do not confuse attempted humor with nuclear physics.

I would say you are the one injecting humor by implying that Saddam
Hussien was so fascinated with yellow layer cake.

>I think Brian has been confused by all the recent discussion about

Saddam
> Hussein ordering yellow cake as take-out from some bakery in Niger, Africa:
>

> It remains puzzling why Saddam Hussein would want to get yellow cake all the
> way from Niger in Africa when he could have had one of his own palace pastry
> chefs whip up an excellent yellow cake using a recipe like this:

If that was been the former Dictators fancy he could have told his
palace pastry chef to bake him a yellow layer cake( just what you
said).
But unfortunately the flour quality in that area is inappropriate for
such product.So his alternative :
.. Or if he had a particular liking for the American boxed mixes he
can always send somebody to Kuwait to procure for him a lorry of
yellow layer cake mixes from Betty Crocker, Pillsbury , Duncan Hines
brands which are sold in many grocery shops there.
You do not go to Niger to buy such food product. What does those
Africans( in Niger) have to do or know about yellow layer cakes?
You do not arouse world attention, just for an ordinary piece of
cake.
The real reason for that Saddam wants a special type of material which
has common name of yellow cake which is more of a refined pitchblende(
or uranium ore); was his keen interest for nuclear weapons
development program. And having a source of uranium ore is his
utmost concern as he is aware that he cannot get it from the mines of
Canada,Austtalia, America and even Russia.. Beside it's cheaper and
had lesser risk if he got it from an impoverised African nation.

You are further injecting humor here…..
> Possibly, as Brian Raab suggests, the African variety is more useful for
> blowing things up. But, if that's the purpose, couldn't the same results
> be obtained by just increasing the amount of baking powder in the recipe?

It is utterly impossible even with exponential increase in baking
powder will make an explosive device from a piece of cake.There is a
limit that a certain cake recipe can contain such leavening agent.If
you put too much it will not come out as desirable product and will
become inedible as well.
If you really find this issue funny well have a good laugh at it!
Roy