Annaid

Default Cutlery Chioces-need help makihg up my mind

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of updating my cutlery. It has been ten years with my
inexpensive set and it is time to upgrade. I was looking at Henckel, and
Chicago Cutlery, but in my search I have been recommended to look into
Wusthof.

Can anyone give me their personal opinions of the three? I have checked out
the rating sites such as epinions and I am really debating more between The
Henckel and Wusthof.

I appreciate your help
D~

The Cook

"Annaid" > wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>I am in the process of updating my cutlery. It has been ten years with my
>inexpensive set and it is time to upgrade. I was looking at Henckel, and
>Chicago Cutlery, but in my search I have been recommended to look into
>Wusthof.
>
>Can anyone give me their personal opinions of the three? I have checked out
>the rating sites such as epinions and I am really debating more between The
>Henckel and Wusthof.
>
>I appreciate your help
>D~

You need to go into the store or stores that carry the various brands
and try each piece. Pick it up. Hold it the way you would to actually
use it. How does it feel? Is the handle too big or small for your
hand? It is too heavy or too light? You may find that a variety of
brands is the best answer for you. You do not have to have a matched
set.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

"Annaid" > wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>I am in the process of updating my cutlery. It has been ten years with my
>inexpensive set and it is time to upgrade. I was looking at Henckel, and
>Chicago Cutlery, but in my search I have been recommended to look into
>Wusthof.
>
>Can anyone give me their personal opinions of the three? I have checked out
>the rating sites such as epinions and I am really debating more between The
>Henckel and Wusthof.
>
>I appreciate your help
>D~

You need to go into the store or stores that carry the various brands
and try each piece. Pick it up. Hold it the way you would to actually
use it. How does it feel? Is the handle too big or small for your
hand? It is too heavy or too light? You may find that a variety of
brands is the best answer for you. You do not have to have a matched
set.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Annaid

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> "Annaid" > wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone!
>>
>>I am in the process of updating my cutlery. It has been ten years with my
>>inexpensive set and it is time to upgrade. I was looking at Henckel, and
>>Chicago Cutlery, but in my search I have been recommended to look into
>>Wusthof.
>>
>>Can anyone give me their personal opinions of the three? I have checked
>>out
>>the rating sites such as epinions and I am really debating more between
>>The
>>Henckel and Wusthof.
>>
>>I appreciate your help
>>D~
>>

> You need to go into the store or stores that carry the various brands
> and try each piece. Pick it up. Hold it the way you would to actually
> use it. How does it feel? Is the handle too big or small for your
> hand? It is too heavy or too light? You may find that a variety of
> brands is the best answer for you. You do not have to have a matched
> set.
>
> --
> Susan N.
>
> There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
> and those who do not.

Thank you...I did that last night which is the first time I looked at the
Wusthof. I do like the way they feel.

D~

Alex Rast

at Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:08:41 GMT in
>, - wrote :

>On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:17:38 -0400, "Annaid"
> wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone!
>>
>>I am in the process of updating my cutlery....
>>
>>Can anyone give me their personal opinions of the three?...
>>

>I have an old set of Sabatier knives which are wonderful.
>
>However, I'm not sure they're still being made.
>
>HOWEVER, the thing you should look for is that the knives
>you get are made out of carbon steel. Yes, this is the
>metal that stains, etc...

Good advice, *BUT*, be prepared for a difficult, exhaustive search.
Virtually no retail stores carry carbon steel knives because it would seem
most consumers have a difficult time getting over the staining problem.
Sabatier is the only quality company I know that makes a full line of
carbon-steel knives. Most of the stores that carry Sabatier only carry
their stainless knives, except by special order. So it's not enough to ask
for the brand name "Sabatier". You have to ask *specifically* about their
carbon steel knives, using precisely that terminology, and if at any point
the salesman inserts the word "stainless" you must correct him.

The overwhelmingly prevalent material these days is "high-carbon
stainless" steel. It doesn't sharpen as readily as carbon steel nor does it
hold an edge as well, but it is vastly better than low-carbon stainless,
which you usually find in such-a-deal knives. Gerber, Wusthof, Henckels,
and Chicago Cutlery all use high-carbon stainless.

It's easy to spot carbon steel, because it has a dull, blue-grey colour to
the blade as opposed to the bright, shiny silver blade of a high-carbon
stainless. If you use it to cut tomatoes, lemons, and other acidic items,
be sure to rinse it off *immediately*. And never run it through the
dishwasher.

High-carbon stainless is OK, and certainly avoids the cleaning problem and
the need to be obsessive about care. I'd stay away from Henckels if you
decide to go this route because they are now using sintered blades as
opposed to forged blades (a little less blade strength, shorter time
keeping a sharp edge, more difficult to sharpen)

It comes down to how much effort you're willing to put into the buying
process. If you have no difficulty spending several weeks tracking down the
carbon-steel Sabatiers and then perhaps waiting several more weeks while
they arrive, by all means do so because the performance will reward the
effort. OTOH, if that sounds like too much work to you, a high-carbon
stainless knife from Wusthof, Sabatier, or Gerber may be more practical.

--
Alex Rast

Fred

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:08:41 GMT in
> >, - wrote :
>
> >On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:17:38 -0400, "Annaid"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Hello everyone!
> >>
> >>I am in the process of updating my cutlery....
> >>
> >>Can anyone give me their personal opinions of the three?...
> >>

> >I have an old set of Sabatier knives which are wonderful.
> >
> >However, I'm not sure they're still being made.
> >
> >HOWEVER, the thing you should look for is that the knives
> >you get are made out of carbon steel. Yes, this is the
> >metal that stains, etc...

> Good advice, *BUT*, be prepared for a difficult, exhaustive search.
> Virtually no retail stores carry carbon steel knives because it would seem
> most consumers have a difficult time getting over the staining problem.
> Sabatier is the only quality company I know that makes a full line of
> carbon-steel knives. Most of the stores that carry Sabatier only carry
> their stainless knives, except by special order. So it's not enough to ask
> for the brand name "Sabatier". You have to ask *specifically* about their
> carbon steel knives, using precisely that terminology, and if at any point
> the salesman inserts the word "stainless" you must correct him.
>
> The overwhelmingly prevalent material these days is "high-carbon
> stainless" steel. It doesn't sharpen as readily as carbon steel nor does

it
> hold an edge as well, but it is vastly better than low-carbon stainless,
> which you usually find in such-a-deal knives. Gerber, Wusthof, Henckels,
> and Chicago Cutlery all use high-carbon stainless.
>
> It's easy to spot carbon steel, because it has a dull, blue-grey colour to
> the blade as opposed to the bright, shiny silver blade of a high-carbon
> stainless. If you use it to cut tomatoes, lemons, and other acidic items,
> be sure to rinse it off *immediately*. And never run it through the
> dishwasher.
>
> High-carbon stainless is OK, and certainly avoids the cleaning problem and
> the need to be obsessive about care. I'd stay away from Henckels if you
> decide to go this route because they are now using sintered blades as
> opposed to forged blades (a little less blade strength, shorter time
> keeping a sharp edge, more difficult to sharpen)
>
> It comes down to how much effort you're willing to put into the buying
> process. If you have no difficulty spending several weeks tracking down

the
> carbon-steel Sabatiers and then perhaps waiting several more weeks while
> they arrive, by all means do so because the performance will reward the
> effort. OTOH, if that sounds like too much work to you, a high-carbon
> stainless knife from Wusthof, Sabatier, or Gerber may be more practical.
>
> --
> Alex Rast
>
> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

The Japanese continue to make high quality knives of carbon steel. They
also have the advantage of using half bolsters that don't get in the way of
sharpening the edge.

Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com