Peter Jones

Default Would like to make my own wedding cake - advice needed

Hello,
I will be getting married on 1st October 2004 and plan on making my
own wedding cake. Having never done this before I have made a 12 inch
fruit cake and covered it with marzipan and sugarpaste - the cake
looks really good so I'm pretty confident that the finished article
will look nice.

I've been doing lots of research to get some ideas about decorating
the cake. I will be keeping it simple with some burgandy ribbon around
the cake board and bottom of the cake. I also plan on getting some
sugarpaste flowers made to put on each cake.

The only problem that I have at the moment is that I'm not sure what
to do about covering the cake board. All the pictures of wedding cakes
I have seen have sugarpaste covered cake boards.

How do I cover the board with sugarpaste? Do I have to coat the board
with something to get the sugarpaste to stick? Also, how do I get the
iced cake onto the covered board without putting finger marks in the
cake icing?

Thanks for your help.

Peter
Vox Humana

"Peter Jones" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> I will be getting married on 1st October 2004 and plan on making my
> own wedding cake. Having never done this before I have made a 12 inch
> fruit cake and covered it with marzipan and sugarpaste - the cake
> looks really good so I'm pretty confident that the finished article
> will look nice.
>
> I've been doing lots of research to get some ideas about decorating
> the cake. I will be keeping it simple with some burgandy ribbon around
> the cake board and bottom of the cake. I also plan on getting some
> sugarpaste flowers made to put on each cake.
>
> The only problem that I have at the moment is that I'm not sure what
> to do about covering the cake board. All the pictures of wedding cakes
> I have seen have sugarpaste covered cake boards.
>
> How do I cover the board with sugarpaste? Do I have to coat the board
> with something to get the sugarpaste to stick? Also, how do I get the
> iced cake onto the covered board without putting finger marks in the
> cake icing?

Just roll out the fondant and cover the board. It will stick without any
problems. You can use a couple of sturdy spatulas to lift the cake onto the
covered board. If you do touch it, the ribbon should cover any marks around
the bottom. Of course the ribbon and any bottom borders should be applied
after the cake is in position.

Jennifer

I have found a pretty nice website http://earlenescakes.com/index1.htm
This has some great ideas and instructions if you need any help.