Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Advice on wedding present

On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:54:40 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> My niece is getting married,

<snip>

> I don't know whether my niece cooks,

<snip>

> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions.

Listen to yourself! Go to their registry and pick something from
that. If they have a toaster and bread knife on it, buy EXACTLY what
they have listed. Do not deviate from what they say they want.

> Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

How about a silk filled bed pillows? They are beyond wonderful.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
It has two long wide slots which can do four
slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.

I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
useful. And they might already have a microwave,
but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.

They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.

I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
be sure that would be used. That's more of a
foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
of the box.

A toaster might be the closest thing that would
actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
good bread knife.

I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
food-related, of course.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> It has two long wide slots which can do four
> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

I don't know how it is where you are, but here, it is much more common to
simply give money. Most people have all of the things that they need by the
time they are married. She may well already have a toaster. And she may
not even eat toast. A lot of people don't.

When I got married, I got mostly money because most people knew I was moving
right away to another state. I did get a nice set of fancy towels in a
cream color so they would pretty much go in any bathroom. I did use those a
lot, mainly just putting them out when we had visitors. But now some 19
years later, they don't look as good as the once did and we are actually
using them.

Things I didn't use at all or rarely used were a crystal salad bowl, and a
crystal candy dish. I already had tons of candy dishes and bowls that were
big and nice enough to serve a salad in, should I ever have the need to do
that. Although the crystal bowl was pretty, it was very heavy to have to
hoist up and down off of the shelf and the silver plated serving pieces that
came with it required polishing. So not for me. I also got some kitchen
towels and pot holders which I did use. Those things don't last forever.

Other things that I really never used were a fancy photo album (I think they
either made it or bought it at a craft fair) and some fancy picture frames.
I am simply not a picture person and I am pretty picky about my frames. I
don't necessarily think that all of the frames in the house have to match,
but I like them to at least coordinate. Mine are either oak, oak and gold
or gold. I was gifted with white ceramic ones, presumably to put the
wedding pics in. But since ours was a very rushed wedding, and we didn't
have a professional photographer, they are not things that I want to
display.

My mom often gives heating pads which I think is a rather odd wedding gift.
Not sure of her reasoning on that but she did say once that she would bet
they didn't have one. It would seem to me that if they didn't have one,
they didn't need one. I've had one forever. I used to get a lot of ear
infections and they are soothing for that.

A couple of things that I personally would have liked to get were a
Crock-Pot (I did actually get one not long after we were married as a
Christmas present) and a fondue pot. But... I do like to cook!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:54:40 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>> My niece is getting married,

> <snip>
>>
>> I don't know whether my niece cooks,

> <snip>
>>
>> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>>
>> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
>> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
>> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
>> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
>> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
>> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
>> of the box.
>>
>> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
>> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
>> good bread knife.
>>
>> I'd like to hear suggestions.

> Listen to yourself! Go to their registry and pick something from
> that. If they have a toaster and bread knife on it, buy EXACTLY what
> they have listed. Do not deviate from what they say they want.
>
>> Does anyone know
>> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
>> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
>> food-related, of course.)

> How about a silk filled bed pillows? They are beyond wonderful.

Never heard of those. Where do you get them? Are they expensive?

I got some a year or two ago at Costco that are memory foam on one side and
cooling gel on the other. Haven't really needed the cooling gel much
though. They came in a two pack. I gave one to my dad but he hated it. I
would have gladly taken it back as a spare but he gave it to my mom and I
think she got rid of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:26:43 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:54:40 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hear suggestions.

>> Listen to yourself! Go to their registry and pick something from
>> that. If they have a toaster and bread knife on it, buy EXACTLY what
>> they have listed. Do not deviate from what they say they want.

> Totally **** that idea.
>
> The whole idea of wedding registries is highly controversial and
> impersonal. And that somebody insists so boldly as the only option is
> Lou Decruss.

It may be impersonal but it is preferable to getting a bunch of crap that
you would never use. One of my friends got a crystal server for Ritz
crackers. It held a whole roll. Whoever gave it to her either really loved
Ritz crackers or got a good deal on it. She got all kinds of seemingly
useless kitchen stuff that was not on the registry list. Oh and she married
a chef. He did the catering at their reception. So he likely had all of
the kitchen stuff that he needed.

I'm all for giving the person something that they really want or need. And
if they don't really need anything? Or I can't afford what they want? Then
money it is. Impersonal? Yes. Will be used? Yes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:54:40 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
>> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
>> It has two long wide slots which can do four
>> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
>> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>>
>> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
>> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
>> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
>> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
>> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>>
>> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>>
>> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
>> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
>> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
>> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
>> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
>> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
>> of the box.
>>
>> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
>> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
>> good bread knife.
>>
>> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
>> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
>> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
>> food-related, of course.)

> The toaster is such a 70's gift. And the Waring WCT704 is a monster.
> Probably not appropriate for people who may not cook [toast], and may
> not have space for it.
>
> I would steer clear of kitchen stuff if you don't know their cooking
> routines. Get them a gift certificate to a neutral store instead.

Restaurant gift certificates are a popular wedding gift too but you'd have
to know their tastes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> It has two long wide slots which can do four
> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

You can sometimes find one of these new-in-box. They are spectacular.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-LPP-...uicer/product-
reviews/B00000J9DV

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:26:43 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:54:40 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hear suggestions.

>> Listen to yourself! Go to their registry and pick something from
>> that. If they have a toaster and bread knife on it, buy EXACTLY what
>> they have listed. Do not deviate from what they say they want.

> Totally **** that idea.
>
> The whole idea of wedding registries is highly controversial and
> impersonal.

It's offensive. I would *never* buy anything on a wedding registry, but I
*might* some time in the future, check off items anonymously. Anyone who
uses one of those deserves it.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts
You're admitting that there must be something wrong.
-The Who https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSZhCKbQZc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> A couple of things that I personally would have liked to get were a
> Crock-Pot (I did actually get one not long after we were married as a
> Christmas present) and a fondue pot. But... I do like to cook!

I always give money, it's never been returned. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> It has two long wide slots which can do four
> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

The whole point of a bridal registry is so they do no get unexpected gifts
or more than one of the same gift. But even when you buy them a gift on the
registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line because
she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
sufficiently expensive enough for her. So by sticking to the registry you
at least have plausible deniability when she hates your gift.

My advice: stay home. If you can't afford something expensive don't bother.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
>thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
>It has two long wide slots which can do four
>slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
>slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
>I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
>doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
>a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
>useful. And they might already have a microwave,
>but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
>They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
>I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
>be sure that would be used. That's more of a
>foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
>water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
>sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
>rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
>of the box.
>
>A toaster might be the closest thing that would
>actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
>good bread knife.
>
>I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
>of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
>useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
>food-related, of course.)

The most appreciated wedding gift you can give a young couple is BREAD
they can spend. A bread toaster, or any appliance, will go over like
giving one's wife a vacuum cleaner for an anniversary gift... they'd
very likely return a toaster for credit. If you want to give
something personal to remind them of you get them a nice bread box
that contains spendable BREAD!
http://www.amazon.com/ZUCCOR-Fingerp...ds=bread+boxes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> > thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> > It has two long wide slots which can do four
> > slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> > slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
> >
> > I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> > doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> > a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> > useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> > but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
> >
> > They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
> >
> > I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> > be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> > foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> > water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> > sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> > rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> > of the box.
> >
> > A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> > actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> > good bread knife.
> >
> > I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> > of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> > useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> > food-related, of course.)

> The whole point of a bridal registry is so they do no get unexpected gifts
> or more than one of the same gift. But even when you buy them a gift on the
> registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
> years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line because
> she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
> sufficiently expensive enough for her. So by sticking to the registry you
> at least have plausible deniability when she hates your gift.
>
> My advice: stay home. If you can't afford something expensive don't bother.

Ouch!

I'd have taken my gift back and got a refund.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 1:54 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.

> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple?

Money. The color matches anything in the home, it won't be returned,
easily transported.

For a niece, I'd think matching portraits of Ben Franklin would be nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yellow" > wrote in message
T...
> In article >, says...
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> > My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
>> > thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
>> > It has two long wide slots which can do four
>> > slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
>> > slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>> >
>> > I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
>> > doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
>> > a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
>> > useful. And they might already have a microwave,
>> > but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>> >
>> > They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>> >
>> > I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
>> > be sure that would be used. That's more of a
>> > foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
>> > water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
>> > sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
>> > rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
>> > of the box.
>> >
>> > A toaster might be the closest thing that would
>> > actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
>> > good bread knife.
>> >
>> > I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
>> > of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
>> > useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
>> > food-related, of course.)

>> The whole point of a bridal registry is so they do no get unexpected
>> gifts
>> or more than one of the same gift. But even when you buy them a gift on
>> the
>> registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
>> years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line
>> because
>> she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
>> sufficiently expensive enough for her. So by sticking to the registry
>> you
>> at least have plausible deniability when she hates your gift.
>>
>> My advice: stay home. If you can't afford something expensive don't
>> bother.

> Ouch!
>
> I'd have taken my gift back and got a refund.

At the time I was known for making a lot of money and having expensive
taste. Which was true but I didn't even know this gal. She was the sister
of my girlfriend. I met her two times in 3 years. But I was expected to
buy her something expensive nonetheless. When I say spat in my face I mean
she all BUT spat in my face. She was ****ED.

Other have said it best; just give cash. And don't scrimp on the envelope.
Get a nice embossed one. No spit to close it. Use sealing wax.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 2:19 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> The toaster is such a 70's gift. And the Waring WCT704 is a monster.
> Probably not appropriate for people who may not cook [toast], and may
> not have space for it.
>
> I would steer clear of kitchen stuff if you don't know their cooking
> routines. Get them a gift certificate to a neutral store instead.
>
> -sw

The Waring is really a nice toaster, but for many people, they would
give the same credit as an $8 Wal Mart toaster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:
>"Julie Bove" wrote:
>
>> A couple of things that I personally would have liked to get were a
>> Crock-Pot (I did actually get one not long after we were married as a
>> Christmas present) and a fondue pot. But... I do like to cook!

>I always give money, it's never been returned. ;-)

Me too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> The whole point of a bridal registry is so they do no get unexpected gifts
> or more than one of the same gift. But even when you buy them a gift on the
> registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
> years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line because
> she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
> sufficiently expensive enough for her.

No. Come on now,Paul. That can't really happen in real life. The bride
spat in your face at her wedding reception because you gave her a
cheap gift? LOL! What the hell kind of friends you do have?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 10:21 AM, Gary wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>
>> The whole point of a bridal registry is so they do no get unexpected gifts
>> or more than one of the same gift. But even when you buy them a gift on the
>> registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
>> years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line because
>> she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
>> sufficiently expensive enough for her.

> No. Come on now,Paul. That can't really happen in real life. The bride
> spat in your face at her wedding reception because you gave her a
> cheap gift? LOL! What the hell kind of friends you do have?

Methinks there's more to the story because that is ridiculous.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 5/25/2014 10:21 AM, Gary wrote:
>> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>>
>>> The whole point of a bridal registry is so they do no get unexpected
>>> gifts
>>> or more than one of the same gift. But even when you buy them a gift on
>>> the
>>> registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
>>> years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line
>>> because
>>> she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
>>> sufficiently expensive enough for her.

>> No. Come on now,Paul. That can't really happen in real life. The bride
>> spat in your face at her wedding reception because you gave her a
>> cheap gift? LOL! What the hell kind of friends you do have?

> Methinks there's more to the story because that is ridiculous.
>
> nancy

I don't think he meant "spat" literally. I thought he meant she was
outraged, of course I could be wrong.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Nancy Young"wrote:
> > Gary wrote:
> >> No. Come on now,Paul. That can't really happen in real life. The bride
> >> spat in your face at her wedding reception because you gave her a
> >> cheap gift? LOL! What the hell kind of friends you do have?

> > Methinks there's more to the story because that is ridiculous.

> I don't think he meant "spat" literally. I thought he meant she was
> outraged, of course I could be wrong.

He did retract that statement but still...for a bride to express
dissatisfaction at her wedding for a gift is very tacky and "no
class." She should have thanked him for the gift and then mumbled
about it to herself later on.

IMO...people that invite you to their wedding, then demand/expect
expensive gifts....**** them. That's just a greedy thing.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> It has two long wide slots which can do four
> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

a case of nice wine would be a good choice, but for Mormons, buy them a
wheat grinder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yellow > wrote in
T:

> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> Sqwertz > wrote in
>> :

>> > Totally **** that idea.
>> >
>> > The whole idea of wedding registries is highly controversial and
>> > impersonal.
>> >

>> It's offensive. I would *never* buy anything on a wedding registry,
>> but I *might* some time in the future, check off items anonymously.
>> Anyone who uses one of those deserves it.
>> >
>> > -sw

> Get what you are given and be grateful for it?
>
> Well it's one way of wasting your money and burdening the couple with
> a load of crap they do not want.
>
> But then as most modern weddings are just an expensive circus show
> perhaps this is all just a consequence, whichever side of the gift
> debate you occupy.
>
> I think my middle-aged friends who married recently had the best idea.
> They said "if you must give us a gift then please give us cash" and
> they spent it all on a month long honeymoon visiting all the sights of
> Europe. Fabulous!

Cash is fine--especially with the, "if you must" words--and what a great
think to do with it, but the wedding registry is just crappy.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts
You're admitting that there must be something wrong.
-The Who
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSZhCKbQZc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2014 05:37:19 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I always give money, it's never been returned. ;-)

IMO, gifts from the registry and money are in the same category, but
it's easier to do a registry gift because it's done over the internet
and I don't need to go out and find a card. I especially love
registry gifts for people I don't know very well (children of
friends). It's hard enough to chose the right gift for my own
children and nearly impossible to chose for someone else's. IMO if
they don't like the gift *they* picked out, then they can return it
for money... I didn't put any effort into choosing it, so I'm not
vested in any way and I don't care.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2014 06:07:11 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> But even when you buy them a gift on the
> registry you are taking your chances as I learned from bitter experience
> years ago when the bride spat in my face during her reception line because
> she was offended by the gift I gave her which was on her list yet not
> sufficiently expensive enough for her.

What an entitled little brat! I've noticed that people have put lots
of practical and inexpensive items on their registries lately -
probably because they are aware of how their friends need to stretch
their paychecks these days (if they're lucky enough to have a job).

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 11:05 AM, Gary wrote:

> IMO...people that invite you to their wedding, then demand/expect
> expensive gifts....**** them. That's just a greedy thing.

We had seen too much of that sort of thing, so when we married, we only
invited parents and siblings. We walked over to the church, got married,
then walked back to my parents' house for wedding cake.

People sent us gifts anyway, but not because they thought they had to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> It has two long wide slots which can do four
> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

get them this book - a truly fascinating read

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ring_of_Saints

also don't assume someone doesn't cook because their mother didn't - it
is not a heritable trait

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2014 02:12:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> > How about a silk filled bed pillows? They are beyond wonderful.

> Never heard of those. Where do you get them?

I bought mine in China, but you can Google has lots of places to buy
them over the internet including Amazon.

> Are they expensive?

Depends on what you call expensive, but they are not cheap by any
stretch of the imagination.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> What an entitled little brat! I've noticed that people have put lots
> of practical and inexpensive items on their registries lately -
> probably because they are aware of how their friends need to stretch
> their paychecks these days (if they're lucky enough to have a job).

Or maybe people started to rebel against all of those really expensive
items, and bought/sent nothing. I mean seriously when people start wanting
you to pay for a down payment on houses and things like that, well...nothing
would be a good response.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2014 09:21:42 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > What an entitled little brat! I've noticed that people have put lots
> > of practical and inexpensive items on their registries lately -
> > probably because they are aware of how their friends need to stretch
> > their paychecks these days (if they're lucky enough to have a job).

> Or maybe people started to rebel against all of those really expensive
> items, and bought/sent nothing. I mean seriously when people start wanting
> you to pay for a down payment on houses and things like that, well...nothing
> would be a good response.

Not sure how to respond to that. I'm talking about a first marriage
for both and they are younger people - 20's, very early 30's.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:03:29 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2014, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.

> Mormons don't drink coffee?
>
> What about tea? There's lots of tea gadgets.

I think it's the caffeine they're supposed to stay away from. Giving
Mormons gadgets for tea instead of coffee would be like giving
Jehovah's Witnesses wine glasses instead of cocktail glasses.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 May 2014 09:21:42 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > What an entitled little brat! I've noticed that people have put lots
>> > of practical and inexpensive items on their registries lately -
>> > probably because they are aware of how their friends need to stretch
>> > their paychecks these days (if they're lucky enough to have a job).

>> Or maybe people started to rebel against all of those really expensive
>> items, and bought/sent nothing. I mean seriously when people start
>> wanting
>> you to pay for a down payment on houses and things like that,
>> well...nothing
>> would be a good response.
>>

> Not sure how to respond to that. I'm talking about a first marriage
> for both and they are younger people - 20's, very early 30's.

I'm not talking about anyone specific, but some in general. Some are
absolutely greedy in their requests for very expensive items and some people
can't afford that kind of money, so they pass on buying anything at all.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 12:54 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> My niece is getting married, and I'm currently
> thinking about giving the Waring WCT704 toaster.
> It has two long wide slots which can do four
> slices of regular bread at once, or a couple
> slices of crudely thick-sliced rustic bread.
>
> I don't know whether my niece cooks, but it's
> doubtful because her mother doesn't. Therefore
> a toaster oven or microwave oven might not be
> useful. And they might already have a microwave,
> but not a mighty toaster like the WCT704.
>
> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.
>
> I gave some thought to a SodaStream, but I can't
> be sure that would be used. That's more of a
> foodie type item. Same thing for a juicer or
> water distiller. For sure, no deep fryer or
> sous vide cooker. I did consider a Ronco
> rotissiere, but that's probably too far out
> of the box.
>
> A toaster might be the closest thing that would
> actually get used. I'm thinking toaster + a
> good bread knife.
>
> I'd like to hear suggestions. Does anyone know
> of an unexpected gift that would be spectacularly
> useful for a young couple? (Not necessarily
> food-related, of course.)

A check

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 8:10 AM, Yellow wrote:

> I think my middle-aged friends who married recently had the best idea.
> They said "if you must give us a gift then please give us cash" and they
> spent it all on a month long honeymoon visiting all the sights of
> Europe. Fabulous!

Friends my age got married two years (almost) ago. They had each been
keeping house and probably didn't need anything so we asked them what
their favorite charity was and we made a nice donation to that charity
in honor of their marriage.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 8:26 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> At the time I was known for making a lot of money and having expensive
> taste. Which was true but I didn't even know this gal. She was the sister
> of my girlfriend. I met her two times in 3 years. But I was expected to
> buy her something expensive nonetheless. When I say spat in my face I mean
> she all BUT spat in my face. She was ****ED.

I've never been to a wedding where the bride looks at the gifts.
Usually they are opened after the reception is over.

Are you sure it wasn't a bridal shower? That's when the gifts are
opened in front of every one.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ours was a second marriage with 6 kids involved. We had a small wedding
in our house with the children and a handful of friends and family. We
were engaged for maybe 6 weeks when we married.

We both have large extended families, so we sent out printed marriage
announcements with the address where we would be living.

We never expected wedding gifts but we got many.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 11:03 AM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2014, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.

> Mormons don't drink coffee?
>
> What about tea? There's lots of tea gadgets.

They don't do caffeine.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2014 11:38 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:03:29 -0500, barbie gee >
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 24 May 2014, Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>>> They're Mormons, so no coffee gadgets.

>> Mormons don't drink coffee?
>>
>> What about tea? There's lots of tea gadgets.

> I think it's the caffeine they're supposed to stay away from. Giving
> Mormons gadgets for tea instead of coffee would be like giving
> Jehovah's Witnesses wine glasses instead of cocktail glasses.

LOL

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>> What an entitled little brat! I've noticed that people have put lots
>> of practical and inexpensive items on their registries lately -
>> probably because they are aware of how their friends need to stretch
>> their paychecks these days (if they're lucky enough to have a job).

> Or maybe people started to rebel against all of those really expensive
> items, and bought/sent nothing. I mean seriously when people start wanting
> you to pay for a down payment on houses and things like that,
> well...nothing would be a good response.

That would be mine!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/