Peter Jones

Default Would like to make my own wedding cake - advice needed

Hello,
I will be getting married on 1st October 2004 and plan on making my
own wedding cake. Having never done this before I have made a 12 inch
fruit cake and covered it with marzipan and sugarpaste - the cake
looks really good so I'm pretty confident that the finished article
will look nice.

I've been doing lots of research to get some ideas about decorating
the cake. I will be keeping it simple with some burgandy ribbon around
the cake board and bottom of the cake. I also plan on getting some
sugarpaste flowers made to put on each cake.

The only problem that I have at the moment is that I'm not sure what
to do about covering the cake board. All the pictures of wedding cakes
I have seen have sugarpaste covered cake boards.

How do I cover the board with sugarpaste? Do I have to coat the board
with something to get the sugarpaste to stick? Also, how do I get the
iced cake onto the covered board without putting finger marks in the
cake icing?

Thanks for your help.

Peter