Old 03-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Heavyarms

Default Reliable baking stone for home use

"drei" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I am
now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know will
last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
pan.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
this specific question.

Thanks very much in advance.

I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it on the
bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:42:18 -0500
"Heavyarms" jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com wrote:

"drei" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I
am now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know
will last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
pan.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
this specific question.

Thanks very much in advance.

I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it
on the bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

That ought to work. What are the dimensions? what'd it cost you?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Heavyarms

"drei" wrote in message
[...]

I can't remember the dimenstions, sorry. My oven is 5.0 cu ft. The tile is
1/2" thick, and fits in the oven with about 2 inches of clearance on all
sides. Cost less than 30 bucks.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Karl Sigerist SrŠ

"Heavyarms" jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com wrote in message

"drei" wrote in message
Hi,

I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I am
now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know will
last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
pan.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
this specific question.

Thanks very much in advance.

I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it on

the
bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

Help............what is a Baking Stone?,
---
KarlSrŠ

Old 12-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Feuer

Karl Sigerist SrŠ wrote:

Help............what is a Baking Stone?,

Are you familiar with the Sorceror's Stone?

David

Old 12-10-2003, 06:38 AM
H. W. Hans Kuntze

Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:

[....]

=20

Help............what is a Baking Stone?,
---
KarlSr=A9

http://www.bakingstone.com

http://www.cmcchef.com/Bakingstone.html

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Old 12-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Karl Sigerist SrŠ

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" wrote in message
Karl Sigerist SrŠ wrote:

[....]

Help............what is a Baking Stone?,
---
KarlSrŠ

--
Sincerly,

C=Ļ-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"

Thanks Hans
I am reading your website first about flour, baking et.al
I ordered a 13 3/8 x 17 1/2 baking stone
thanks for the help
---
KarlSrŠ
West coast of Canada