FoodBanter.com

-   -   Reliable baking stone for home use (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/18-re-reliable-baking-stone.html)

Heavyarms 03-10-2003 09:42 PM

Reliable baking stone for home use

"drei" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
> Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
> cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I am
> now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know will
> last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
> especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
> pan.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
> facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
> this specific question.
>
> Thanks very much in advance.

I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it on the
bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

Eric Jorgensen 04-10-2003 04:54 AM

Reliable baking stone for home use

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:42:18 -0500
"Heavyarms" <jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com> wrote:

> "drei" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
> > Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
> > cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I
> > am now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know
> > will last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
> > especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
> > pan.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
> > facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
> > this specific question.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance.

> I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it
> on the bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

That ought to work. What are the dimensions? what'd it cost you?

Heavyarms 06-10-2003 11:26 PM

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:42:18 -0500
> "Heavyarms" <jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com> wrote:
>

> > "drei" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
> > > Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
> > > cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I
> > > am now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know
> > > will last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
> > > especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
> > > pan.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
> > > facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
> > > this specific question.
> > >
> > > Thanks very much in advance.

> > I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it
> > on the bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

> That ought to work. What are the dimensions? what'd it cost you?

I can't remember the dimenstions, sorry. My oven is 5.0 cu ft. The tile is
1/2" thick, and fits in the oven with about 2 inches of clearance on all
sides. Cost less than 30 bucks.

Karl Sigerist SrŠ 12-10-2003 04:49 AM

"Heavyarms" <jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com> wrote in message

> "drei" wrote in message
> > > Hi,

> > I bake sourdough bread and pizza on a pizza stone in my home oven.
> > Recently, I bought a 1/2-inch round stone from a local store, but it
> > cracked after just a few months. Although my store replaced it, I am
> > now looking for a sturdier stone. I want something that I know will
> > last a very long time without needing to be replaced, and am
> > especially interested in products that are safe to use with a steam
> > pan.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Usenet archives and
> > facts going back several years, and I can't find a clear answer to
> > this specific question.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance.

> I just went to Home Depot and got a slab of soap stone. Just set it on

the
> bottom rack of your oven, you never have to take it out.

Help............what is a Baking Stone?,
---
KarlSrŠ

Feuer 12-10-2003 05:22 AM

Karl Sigerist SrŠ wrote:

> Help............what is a Baking Stone?,

Are you familiar with the Sorceror's Stone?

David

H. W. Hans Kuntze 12-10-2003 06:38 AM

Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:

> [....]
>
>> =20
>>

>Help............what is a Baking Stone?,
>---
>KarlSr=A9

http://www.bakingstone.com

http://www.cmcchef.com/Bakingstone.html

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Karl Sigerist SrŠ 12-10-2003 04:18 PM

--
Sincerly,

C=Ļ-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"

Thanks Hans
I am reading your website first about flour, baking et.al
I ordered a 13 3/8 x 17 1/2 baking stone
thanks for the help
---
KarlSrŠ
West coast of Canada