Posted to rec.food.baking
JMF JMF is offline

Default Substitute for corn syrup?

Here in Italy there doesn't seem to be any corn syrup available. Any good
substitutes?

Thanks,

John

Posted to rec.food.baking

JMF wrote:
> Here in Italy there doesn't seem to be any corn syrup available. Any good
> substitutes?

If you have Golden Syrup -- the British product -- that would probably
be a decent equivalent, or if you have rice syrup (they have it in
health food stores here) that might work. But what would work best
really depends on how much you are using and what it is being used for.
What's the recipe you need to substitute it in?

Posted to rec.food.baking
JMF JMF is offline

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> JMF wrote:
>> Here in Italy there doesn't seem to be any corn syrup available. Any good
>> substitutes?

> If you have Golden Syrup -- the British product -- that would probably be
> a decent equivalent, or if you have rice syrup (they have it in health
> food stores here) that might work. But what would work best really
> depends on how much you are using and what it is being used for. What's
> the recipe you need to substitute it in?

It's for a chocolate glaze for a cake. Corn syrup does such a nice job of
making the consistency smooth, so if there's a way to substitute it, then it
would be worth it to give it a try. Unfortunately no Golden Syrup here ...

Thanks,

John

Posted to rec.food.baking

JMF wrote:

> It's for a chocolate glaze for a cake. Corn syrup does such a nice job of
> making the consistency smooth, so if there's a way to substitute it, then it
> would be worth it to give it a try. Unfortunately no Golden Syrup here ...

This might be a time-consuming thing, but it would be a reasonable
alternative:

LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE

2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar
crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches
soft ball stage. Stir often.

Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will
keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.
Posted to rec.food.baking
JMF JMF is offline

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

John

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> JMF wrote:
>>
>> It's for a chocolate glaze for a cake. Corn syrup does such a nice job of
>> making the consistency smooth, so if there's a way to substitute it, then
>> it would be worth it to give it a try. Unfortunately no Golden Syrup here

> This might be a time-consuming thing, but it would be a reasonable
> alternative:
>
> LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE
>
> 2 c. white sugar
> 3/4 c. water
> 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
> Dash of salt
>
> Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil.
> Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar
> crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft
> ball stage. Stir often.
>
> Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will
> keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"JMF" > wrote in message
> Here in Italy there doesn't seem to be any corn syrup available. Any good
> substitutes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

How about 'Glucose' Syrup......

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.baking
JMF JMF is offline

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "JMF" > wrote in message
>> Here in Italy there doesn't seem to be any corn syrup available. Any good
>> substitutes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>

> How about 'Glucose' Syrup......
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

You know, I've just heard the same thing from an Italian. And you *can* get
glucose in Italy, so that may just be it. Thanks!

John