Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Making bread on a copper counter top?

We are in planning stage of a kitchen remodel. My wife and I both like the
look of a copper countertop. We also like the fact that it ages and changes.
We could go with granite but love the look of the copper and don't mind the
added maintenance. This will be on the island where I knead the bread, I was
wondering if anyone has experience making bread on a copper work surface.
I'd hate to put it in then discover that it's a problem.
Thanks

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:26:23 -0500, "Wray DeLarme" > wrote:

>We are in planning stage of a kitchen remodel. My wife and I both like the
>look of a copper countertop. We also like the fact that it ages and changes.
>We could go with granite but love the look of the copper and don't mind the
>added maintenance....

Good luck. Copper's awfully soft, and scratches very easily.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

Wray DeLarme > wrote:
> We are in planning stage of a kitchen remodel. My wife and I both like the
> look of a copper countertop. We also like the fact that it ages and changes.

Do you want to look at it, or eat the food prepared on it?

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.baking

pltrgyst ) writes:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:26:23 -0500, "Wray DeLarme" > wrote:
>
>>We are in planning stage of a kitchen remodel. My wife and I both like the
>>look of a copper countertop. We also like the fact that it ages and changes.
>>We could go with granite but love the look of the copper and don't mind the
>>added maintenance....

> Good luck. Copper's awfully soft, and scratches very easily.

I'd be more worried about the getting too much copper into the
body.

That and the fact that while copper looks nice when all bright and
shiny, it doesn't stay that way for long. I was about fifteen before
I realized all those green church roofs were actually copper, and simply
hadn't been cleaned. I thought that sort of torquoise I saw on the
roofs was "normal".

Hence unless someone is willing to clean the tarnish on a very regular
basis, one has to actual put some sort of clear covering over the well
cleaned copper so the air can't get to it.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.baking

Wray DeLarme wrote:
> We are in planning stage of a kitchen remodel. My wife and I both like the
> look of a copper countertop. We also like the fact that it ages and changes.
> We could go with granite but love the look of the copper and don't mind the
> added maintenance. This will be on the island where I knead the bread, I was
> wondering if anyone has experience making bread on a copper work surface.
> I'd hate to put it in then discover that it's a problem.
> Thanks

I wouldn't. There's a reason that copper bowls are lined
with tin.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.baking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Wray DeLarme wrote:
> > We are in planning stage of a kitchen remodel. My wife and I both like the
> > look of a copper countertop. We also like the fact that it ages and
> > changes.
> > We could go with granite but love the look of the copper and don't mind the
> > added maintenance. This will be on the island where I knead the bread, I
> > was
> > wondering if anyone has experience making bread on a copper work surface.
> > I'd hate to put it in then discover that it's a problem.
> > Thanks
> >

> I wouldn't. There's a reason that copper bowls are lined
> with tin.

But not ones intended for beating egg whites.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 03:46:03 GMT, Puester > wrote:

>I wouldn't. There's a reason that copper bowls are lined
>with tin.

Some are; some aren't. And there's a reason for those that aren't, as well
(think Kitchen Aid copper mixing bowls...)

-- Larry